new host - instant booking

Peter2593
Level 2
Oldpark, GB

new host - instant booking

hello all.

this is our first post - we’re new to airbnb after deciding to list our annexe recently.

ok - so - quite a nice start for us so far - slow and steady... met a couple of nice people and made a little money.  but i’m confused about the instant book - obviously good to have on as many people like to have things sorted instantly... but reading comments on here, having good reviews (traveller) isnt always a good indicator.

so - on or off, whats the general consensus?

my second issue - price point.  we figure that our pricing is probably a little higher than many in the area ... but we live in a much nicer area of town - in a quiet street and we’ve spent a lot of money on our ‘investment’ - we’ve had a couple of people asking for a discount, which we declined.  do many people get discount requests?  My thoughts are that people who are willing to pay a little more will tend to be ‘better guests’ - but thats more of a hope than proven, i guess.

i never realised how much effort you have to put in to get everything perfect for each guest... so kudos to you guys.  it’s hard work fitting this around a normal job!

2 Replies 2
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Peter2593 

good luck with your listing.

you are so right - it's very hard work.

The fact that you are finding it hard work probalby speaks volumes about you as a host - you are putting in the miles and are doing a lot of reading to educate yourself and avoid pitfalls - it's amazing how many don't. IMO that one of the biggest keys to successful hosting

I'll answer the easy question first - discounts.  As a rule of thumb IMO your gut reaction is spot on - bargain hunters are generally bad news and i believe you are on the right track declining. Of course there will always be exceptions -if you get a very long booking you may decide to offer a discount - or not.  I think most hosts would agree with me on this one

IB vs request is quite contentious as people have very different opinions and feel quite strongly about them. As with anything - it's a matter of opinion and  attitude. I'm sure lots of other hosts will weigh in and offer their opinon. I would suggest you read what they say and go with what you think fits you and your listing. It's easy enough to change so don't stress too much over it

IB tends to place you higher up in the search rankings and you can get to see a profile pic and reviews and stars as soon as the guest books

I personally have IB, and along with carefully crafted pre booking questions,  followed up by questions after booking if necessary, firm house rules, a security deposit, a security camera, a very friendly but business like attitude and a willingness to cancel a guest without hesitation if they do not sound or feel right -  I feel very comfortable. I also have my booking settings set up so that 2 days notice is required for IB and I have a day before and after a booking blocked off - usually.  It took quite some time to find my mojo, but having got there, I find it works for me - so far.

I am in a competitive tourist area and my listing lacks a pool and A/C - things many guests are looking for, so I find i need IB to make my listing more attractive.

But many other hosts work well with request to book.

Whatever you choose I  would suggest spending some time looking at the listings of other experienced hosts - especially their house rules and their description for ideas on who you can manage things. I did and do this a lot and found it invaluable.

Hope this is of some help and good luck!

Regards

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rowena29  I have never used Instant Book. I can see the profile pic of the guest (and that can be required, even for non-IB hosts) as soon as I accept their booking, and I can easily read all their reviews before I accept. The only thing I can't see are their star ratings.