not being able to exchange sms msg and getting contact info when guests have questions my email and

Arthur15
Level 2
Fort Worth, TX

not being able to exchange sms msg and getting contact info when guests have questions my email and

I'm not being able to exchange sms msg and getting contact info when guests have questions my email and phone number blocked to guests and my number contact blocked from them ... I have lost good guests bc they say they couldnt book even though calendar wide open ....help ?

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Arthur15 ,

You can only exchange private email address and phone number when there is a confirmed reservation. but you can communicate with the potentail guest via Airbnb message system. i looked at your listing, but it is not active, so nobody can book your space. Maybe find out first why the listing is deactivated.

Best regards, Emiel

Thanks Emiel but on my end my listing works normally ...I even just had a guest book and stay 4/27-4/30 but i havent been paid and im now missing a fire stick ...This is starting to get weird ...any suggestions on whom to actually talk to i have a tkt # as of today tkt # 34788452...How di you ascertain my listing is not active ?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Arthur15  Neither you nor your guests can respond to an SMS notification from airbnb. Those are only notifications that a message has been sent. It will sometimes have all (if the message is short) or a truncated version of the message if it is long. Both you and your guests have to log-on through the app or desktop, to your accounts, then go to the message stream to write and read messages. BTW you are far from the only person who doesn't understand this, there are posts about this all the time.

Your and your guests' telephone numbers and coded email addresses will appear under your profile photos after a booking has been confirmed, never before. And if you try to put personal info like this into your messages before a booking is confirmed, it will indeed be blocked. 

All of this is actually a good thing- it is a security safeguard and it is also a good idea to have exchanges between you and your guests documented through the system, in case there are issues. It's no big deal to text or phone a guest's private number if say, they're driving around and can't find your house and need directions, but anything regarding the booking, house rules, missing items, guests asking for things, etc best to do through the platform.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Arthur15    Also, your guest checked in on March 27 and checked out on March 30. It takes at least 5 business days for money to be deposited to your account, and if you are a new host, airbnb will hold the $ for 30 days from your 1st guest's check-in. Do you see the transaction by the booking? It should say pending, or released, something like that. 

It sounds like you need to do a bit of reading up on various aspects of how the system works.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Arthur15  Not only is you listing not active, your entire profile is non/active. Normally we can see someone's profile and listing by clicking on their profile photo. Yours comes up with zip.

Seems like you need to contact airbnb to find out what's going on.

Christine1695
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

My guests had been double booked and so Airbnb cancelled their booking for me and also all their details. I want to email them to explain the situation and help them find new accommodation, so how can I do this?