one guest booked, two people arrive + third party booking

Sky13
Level 10
United States

one guest booked, two people arrive + third party booking

Since this is a TRUST and SAFETY issue, we must all ask Airbnb to improve the booking process. 

Please feel free to copy and paste the below content:

1. Please add an extra step in the booking process:

"How many guests are staying?"

This is a TRUST and SAFETY issue. The tiny 'number of guests' button is easily missed. Additionally, if a host has to bring this to the guest attention later, it's awkward at best, and sours the relationship at worst. Not to mention the time/money resources that must be spent by Airbnb and the host to settle the mistake.

2. Please add an extra step in the booking process:

"Is this a third party booking (for someone other than yourself ex. friend, or family)?

This is a TRUST and SAFETY issue. Additionally, if a host has to bring this to the guest attention later, it's awkward at best, and sours the relationship at worst. Not to mention the time/money resources that must be spent by Airbnb and the host to settle the mistake.

16 Replies 16
Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

I always check out the number of guests coming: open the booking message on the web-page (not the profile) and in the top-left it says "<guest name> one guest - one night - price".  It's there already and looks clear enough to me. If you find more guests arrive than indicated clearly that's a problem and you need to contact Airbnb. In my case I only have space for 2 guests, just one double room, so if 3 people turn up there's no space for them.  Third party bookings are not allowed on Airbnb unless it's a business account on a specific agreement, so again contact Airbnb if someone else arrives. 

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Airbnb does not allow third party bookings.  When I receive a booking request, I message the guest with my house rules and include a reminder of maximum occupancy.  Guests are also met in person at check-in.  

I have had this happen and Airbnb was contacted prior to arrival as it was let slip it was for someone else.  Airbnb said it was ok and that if anything happened it was on the person that booked!  So they can't even follow their own rules.

Third party bookings are only allowed on business accounts, and the booker has to make it clear they're booking on behalf of another named person:  https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1311/who-can-book-trips-on-behalf-of-someone-else  I live near a busy airport and I've had a few of these - all OK so far. 

Hi @Bryan0 I’m apparently getting a Airbnb for Work booking this week. For a property I co-host. The person first booked for themselves but wrote in the message that 4 colleagues would be coming instead. I made her aware of the rules and she cancelled the reservation, and re-booked. 

She says she has done it through Airbnb for Work, but there is no difference in the way I as a host see the booking. It does not tell me it’s a work-booking. 

How does it look for you as a host when someone books using Airbnb for work? Is it just in the message they mention the names of their colleagues?

Thanks for your advice 🙂

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

Airbnb are not interested why would they stop 3rd party bookings? they only do it to cover themselves Ive had 2 inquiries in the last week both of them wanted to meet at the property to bye pass airbnb I declined them both.

Daniel1598
Level 10
Fairfax, VA

A few weeks before their stay I had a guest reveal that he was making a third party reservation. I contacted airbnb support and they stood up for my rights as a host. The reservation was cancelled without penalty. 

Liz140
Level 4
Danville, IN

I agree with Sky 100%.

What I have seen Airbnb do in the past is to give hosts one thing, but at the same time take away something else. I'm assuming that they are trying to be "fair." But this is a young company, run by young people who's notion of fairness is limited by their lack of life experience. In many places in the US, landlords rule. This is unfortunate when you have a landlord who is unresponsive or takes advantage of you. On the other hand, the landlord makes the investment and has the most at stake.

Few people are doing Airbnb just for "the fun of it."  It's a business and everything about it should be standardized. I think those of us who welcome people into our own homes, would prefer, fewer, nicer guests than risk our personal domecile to guests who have little regard for much time and $$ goes in to providing a quality atmosphere.

Also, as far as standardization goes, I get little to no help from Airbnb at night or on weekends, and I get completely conflicting stores about Airbnb's policies. If someone is breaking a house rule there should be no question about taking a firm stand about it. Yes, as one person said, it will sour the relationship with this guest. But is this guest's opinion more important than your rights as a host? I think not.

If most hosts were more concerned about holding guests accountable, (as opposed to being worried about what guests have to say about us), then we could turn the tide of bad guest behavior. People coming to stay at an Airbnb, would know that policies are strict and would be enforced. They might not like it, but if they had to accept it, they would. Few people will turn down the opportunity to save a lot of $$ or stay in a unique location. Also Airbnb would realize a huge cost savings as they could employ far fewer people to listen to complaints.

Virginia176
Level 2
Brevard, NC

I think you make a great point! lots of our guests misadvertise how many guests are coming. I dont think it's intentional, but it has caused some problems. Unfortunately, I think the functionality of this website is so bad that I dont even know how to communicate my concerns to "support" staff.

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I have a suite that I rent out for a set price, I don't have space for more than 4 adults and I've been firm about this. The one time a young woman booked it and then wanted to have one more person "crash" airbnb did cancel the booking for me- all the back and forth communications were thru the site so it was crystal clear she was trying on something, BUT then my instant book was disabled for several weeks afterword.

The support person I talked to had either been told to obfuscate or she truly didn't understand that I hadn't turned the function off myself. It was frustrating; the automated responses stated that instant book "May be temporarily disabled if on declines or cancells a booking"

It's hard to tell sometimes what is intentional pressure being put on hosts and what is sheer ineptitude.

I have  noticed that the dysfunction seems to benefit airbnb. ( I was also shocked when the amount being charged as a booking fee to guests was almost as much as my per night charge, yikes!) Sally

Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

Well said @Sky13 ! Why on god's green earth wouldn't they want to protect hosts by having a clear not-to-be-avoided radio button for "I am making this reservation for someone other than myself" and then block the reservation should they click it? Especially now in the Post Profile Picture Era of Airbnb.

Just it's because it's in the fine print rules doesn't mean people know it's there or what it means even if they do! I've had many, many that have "slipped" through and as I've gotten wiser as a host some I've caught in time.

When they book, it absolutely should be emphasized, along with a mandatory reading of the house rules before they are awarded with a reservation.

Happened to me once. The guest booked the place for herself but came along with her friend.
The language was also a barrier since she was from China.
It definitely has to be shown upfront to the guest as to how many people and who they are booking for and same should be notified to the hosts.

Alastair0
Level 9
Chiang Mai, Thailand

This is a good idea. We always contact the guest if a booking says 1 person as it is unusual for us to have a single guest. Its important, as presumibly we are covered for only the one guest.  

More people arriving than was booked is my personal gripe and seems to be a regular occurance on other platforms. We politley inform guest of our rules and not to turn up with more people than they booked. Many guests seem to have forgotten that they have children. Perhaps they smuggled them onto a flight in the hand luggage.

Third party bookings... We have had 3 this month. The first was a family who had someone else book for them. They couldnt speak english and obviously didnt know where they were going and wanted to be in the city. The booker wanted a refund in return for a positive review, Happily support took up the case. The next one, the booker said she had lost her passport and her friend was coming instead, a moment later she said that there was a child and then a man was also coming. Again support helped with the cancellation and today another booking for 1 guest and when challenged we were told its her friend and maybe a boyfriend as well. All of these are Chinese bookings and perhaps there is a scam as bookers are acting as agents, Thank you support for again cancelling the booking but it does show the problem that we face. What would be the legal ramifications if an unknown guest refused to leave? are we still protected with the short term occupancy contract that airbnb covers. Are we insured incase of damage.
So I totaly support Sky in this.

Happy hosting

Alastair

Hosting for 12 years Superhost for most of that time and have grown each year.
Carlo-And-Jeni0
Level 3
Geelong, Australia

1. Please add an extra step in the booking process:

"How many guests are staying?"

Definitely! I am CONSTANTLY having this problem. People book for 1 and  tell me via message about how much they and their husband and daughter or someone else are looking forward to staying! AAAAAAAGH... then i have to message them and explain that they have only booked for one and send a request for a change in the number of guest or if it's the same day, Airbnb will tell me that the booking cannot be changed so I have to request extra money via the resolution centre and hope that they accept. I've had several who just can't seem to work this out and tell me that they never receive the request even though it's showing clearly in the resolution centre. Please Airbnb, make it clearer to people that the number of guest is very important. Maybe even ask for the names of ALL guest before allowing them to book.