only One star review from angry guest - warning of suspension?

Emanuel1
Level 2
Ilhabela, Brazil

only One star review from angry guest - warning of suspension?

Hello, My name is Marina. 

We recently recevied a group in our property to whom we did alert before they did the reservation that the internet service was having issues, being slow an experiencing not working moments. They booked anyway asking for a discount (not related to the internet issues). The internet issue is also posted in our listing. We are currently having a new internet being installed (hopefully tomorrow) as well as a router cmhae for the existing one. We live in an island in brazil, so internet is not an easy thing to 1)get 2)make it work ok due to storms, weather or simply, the provider, since you dont have options, just one according to where your house is located.

So the second day the group calls me, that they were having issue with internet. It was working in my house ok as well as in another house we have in the same property, all the same service. I do call the provider and the support says too  many equipments connected. I went to see them, they had 4 hd monitors for video calls, and of course, 4computers, 4 phones, tables.They did establish a home office at the living room. They never mentioned bedore their reservation they were going to, and i told them that they were having too many things connected (they even told me each monitor needed 10 mg, and we have 30 mg, with issue) and that i had warned them that we were having troubles with internet.Anyway, I offer to set an office space in pther property ( they are side by side, they could work there and walk 2 meters to the house, by internal comunication),  they didnt want to and on sunday they left t night, instead of tuesday morning.

I called airbnb and they told me that since I told them the internet was not working properly i should not refund them. However, i offer them a discount for the night they didnt use (monday) and an early check/late checkout for sunday, since they left at night to use later on. They contacted me 10 days later to ask me to come for a weekend for free, like the hole weekend, for the two nights they didnt use. I told them that was not possible, since they left sunday night and the other day was a monday, and different fees apply, but kept the monday fee discount and early check in late checkout.They didnt accept and asked me for more than the amount payed for those 2 nights in refunds (outside airbnb). Then they did a claim via airbnb resolution center that was declined. then kept sending me whatsapp message for the money. The last one, right after the review reminder email arrived. Since i did not accept sending a refund, they did a one star review, which is not true, since they did it in alll the aspect and general rating. I called airbnb to have it removed, its under investigation, sent the voice messages and screen shots requested. I do not know how that is going to work out, but today i receive a warning e mail saying my account might be suspended since my rating went down from4.9 to 4.4, although in my listing says 4.65. I am really worried, annoyed, angry as well, can airbnb suspend my account for one review, that was on top of all, not true to what happened? I mean if they want to say wi fi was not working, fine i can responda that, but an overall 1 star rating just doesnot seem ok, its not even true. The house was not dirty, for ex. Communication? I told them upfront, on top of being in my listing, the wi fi had trouble. I would love to have some feedback. The girl managing the removal of the review told me yesterday she was going to be out for 2 days (i filed it yesterday).

9 Replies 9

I did send to airbnb all the evidence and voice messages, the last one he clearly says “i had to do that (leave the review) because you did not answer my messages and only had two more days to leace a review and you did not agree to the refund asked” and so on

I do also have the support internet chat from that day, saying mrs there are more than 7 devices connected and also the review of other guest that stay in our other property the same dates saying he worked well during his stay.

also, i did tell them right when they contacted me before accepting the reservation that they could face slow or no internet.

and we have been working on getting a new service, today equipments were replaced and we have a new 80 mg and 400 mg 5g internet signed two weeks ago but getting installed this friday (everything takes time in the island). Until then and till i test the connection these limited amenties warnings will be in the listing. And also afterward since I can not guarantee the service will not go down because of a provider problem, storms rain or heavy wind. Cables are not underground there are up on the street, sime crossing the jungle or the mountains and if it rains, a mudslise cna take the polls down, or a truck impact into a tree and makes it go down. This actually happened in the past and the hole area stays with no internet. Same if people for electrical company makes a maintance job and cut the cable from internet because it was in their way to fix whatever they needed to fix. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Emanuel1 Unless you can prove extortion I fear Airbnb will not remove the review. Interestingly I cannot see anything re internet limitations on your listing - Perhaps I have missed it.

Hi, I have posted in the description, is there another place were I can put that we have internet limitations? this is not an issue that we had always, it has a been an issue with the provider that we are solving with a new internet point, and new router, but it takes two weeks (they are supposed to come today fix). We had large groups and never had a problem in the past and before reservations we always specify this issue is going on until solve. We are also not listed as a bussiness place, just residencial. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Emanuel1 

Hi Marina, so sorry to see you in this position but I am afraid it was always going to happen!

When someone wants a discount, that is the most major of RED FLAGS! At that point you should have suggested that another short term rental site in the area might better suit their requirements and decline their request!

I have said this many times, there are two types of guest enquiries.....

Passive/ Complimentary!

Aggressive/Demanding!

Someone either likes what they see, just want to pull out the credit card and stay......or they want to jerk you around.

Remember with each question they ask they strengthen their ground and they weaken yours.....You do not deal with a hagglers......full stop!!!

As far as your internet issue is concerned, you have to remember that guests can be very specific. You say you offer 'continuous WiFi' but, you don't place any limits on it! You accommodate 16 guests so it's a good bet a quarter of them are going to require a Wifi connection at times. With that many guests you need to spell out in your description what sort of internet access you are prepared to provide......(Limit of two computers at any time!)  Obviously this situation won't happen in a listing that caters for 2 guests.....but when you cater for 16, this is going to be a problem and one you should take precautions against.

So Marina, two issues here, Don't let to people who are after something for nothing, something you don't volunteer......and spell out exactly what what you do offer!

Cheers.......Rob

Hi, thank you for your answer. I have posted in the description, is there another place were I can put that we have internet limitations? this is not an issue that we had always, it has a been an issue with the provider that we are solving with a new internet point, and new router, but it takes two weeks (they are supposed to come today fix). We had large groups and never had a problem in the past and before reservations we always specify this issue is going on until solve. We are also not listed as a bussiness place, just residencial. I do understand this can be irritating, and it is never my intention to offer something the we do not have, and thats why i am very clear, as well as when someone ask me if they can listen to loud music, which they cant since we are in a preservation area with strict sound rules. 

@Emanuel1  You need to change the Wifi info in the Amenities section to reflect the true state of the internet connection, not just mention it in your description. And even though it is stated there, make sure to message guests about it when they book, so they have a opportunity to cancel with refund right away if the Wifi situation is a deal breaker for them.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Emanuel1  - Under 'Things Guests Should Know' is a section 'Amenity Limitations', where you can describe the quality of the Internet, & how many devices it can support.

Re the suspension warning, this is generated by an algorithm when your average drops below 4.7 (I think)! - So it's not personal, and I wouldn't worry! There are many listings which rate less than 4.7, so we know this automated threat is an attempt to make hosts try harder..... Your score would have to drop MUCH lower before you were actually suspended!

Emanuel1
Level 2
Ilhabela, Brazil

Yes, thanks. 

just to clear: i understand perfectly how inconvinient it is to have no wi fi, and thats exactly why I tell every single potential guest before reservation its not working properly for the moment. Even if they say “we are on holidays” And also thats why i am active in the solution and worked out two options new equipment and new service, both to have two owrking internets. And not because this happened, this was even before but it takes a long time to do these here in the island.  They accepted to book knowing this directly from me in the messages via airbnb messages. If this was a deal breaker, they shouldnt have booked. I wouldnt have if it was my intention to work and internet was my main concern. Yes, they can mention this issue in their review, but in a honest way, not lying: i did not promise an excelent wifi service and was clear about the issue we were facing. I did not treat them badly. I even offered them options. I do not rent a place if they dont allow my cat when I travel with her. I ask before always. I do not rent a place that allow dogs and not cats and then complain about it. As for the rest, they should have been honest in their experience in each item for review. And of course, they should have not asked me for money pressuring with a bad review. Also if it was so bad for them, why would they insist on coming back? I still receive messages outside airbnb from them, one after the other, from different  numbers. Thank you all,  the answers and feedback did help me a lot.