“...only spend money at Black-owned businesses.”

Mike323
Level 9
Middletown, PA

“...only spend money at Black-owned businesses.”

You can’t make this stuff up, I kid you not. Just when you think the absurdity meter is maxed out, the recommendation to ignore all businesses July 7th unless they’re black-owned is at the bottom of the page which boldly states “Battling discrimination on Airbnb” in big letters at the top. That is in addition to emailing hosts again on Independence Day how they can “fight discrimination”. 2+2=5?

Should guests listen to Airbnb and not book with any non-black property owners or managers July 7th? Would that just be for the night of the 7th, or would that apply to the date the booking was placed? (Ex: Apply to entire long term booking if house hunting on July 7th?)

https://www.airbnb.com/against-discrimination

Scroll down the page near the donate to BLM link which STILL takes donors to Actblue, and is STILL being promoted here despite being mired in corruption. Wonder why they moved it off the main page? Silent majority finally run out of patience and start pushing back?

Here’s a crazy idea that just might work. How about we just honor businesses that provide a quality product or service we value regardless of what color skin the owner has. This IS racism and it’s an assault on all races including black people who don’t want to be exploited. Just stop already. Treat people like people.

Is Airbnb purposely trying to drive this buss off the cliff with all off us on board?

How can it be that real discussion between hosts is continually being censored, coauthored, or developed by mods, while this kind of fraudulent fundraising for the democrat super pac is being pushed by the brand in our good name?

Evidently you’re a racist if you question failed logic or don’t address inequality by treating people unequally, got it? “And If the state says 2+2 is not 4 but 5, how many fingers do you see Winston?”

If you don’t get it, that’s good, it means you’re not brainwashed yet, and there’s still hope. It’s all going to come into to focus very soon for the masses.

It’s time to unmask the real sickness and corruption and those who willfully choose to protect or sponsor them.

People will be justifiably outraged when they learn the REAL reasons we we’re under “house arrest” and our businesses and economies were/are held hostage in shutdown mode, and our voices are being simultaneously silenced.

67 Replies 67

what if airbnb publicly mentioned a WHITEOUT day and asked everyone to only spend money at white owned businesses? Come on people... you don't see a problem with this? 

X

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Helen3 @Alexandra316 

Nails on the head!!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Complete misrepresentation of what was written on the Airbnb site- why am I not surprised?  Nothing there about only booking with black hosts- it's about a one day out of 365 when people could make a statement of support. Similar to "Buy Nothing Day" as a protest against consumerism.

Participate if you like, don't participate if you don't want to.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

Im not angry over Airbnb's stances, just unhappy with the Customer Service they are providing at this moment (or lack of it).  It would be one thing if they were a NFP movement group that was doing a less than adequate job of running a travels service as a benefit for its members but its not acceptable to be the opposite.

What I will say about its thoughts of spearheading a Utopian society from a Social Hostel POV is they like so many others are very shortsighted in their ideas and see everyone the same regardless of their actual demographics.  Over 9/10 ths of the US is rural and if you wanna try to help Dark skinned people in my region, you will have to try to find some that need your help and most don't own businesses we could buy stuff from!   

Rural areas in NY are not really places where Minorities actually come to live except for some mid sized cities like Syracuse, Utica, Rochester and Buffalo (<10% of our land mass).  In my region in particular, Minorities with Masters Degrees, PHDS / MD's are common while "people of color" cleaning colleges, wiorking in the meat department or fixing an electrical service isnt common at all.   

The solutions that people seek wont unite us unless they are thoughtful and actually address the needs of the whole, not just some.  Patronizing "Black owned businesses" in my area won't be effective at helping the folks trapped in the "State Sanctioned Impoverished Peoples Holding Areas" (the 4 cities I mentioned above fit that bill).   Help looks more like a strong stone to step on not a Black hole to fall into.   

If Airbnb wants to help people, it should help bring the greatest prosperity to folks that host by example on its platform and we will be more able to pass that on than trying to provide the equivalent of welfare butter, powdered eggs, canned chicken and cheese on a debit card once a month.  Everyone wants to be part of the solution, I do as well.   What I know is Minorities don't need- Lectures from Light skinned people on how to live, they need jobs, jobs, jobs that pay them far better than politicians or other pimps currently are buying their vote or lives for peanuts.    

The best way to make a difference and continue the trends that were vaulting minorities and women up the Mountain before Covid came to town is coming very soon, voting day!   Nothing else we do from today to that day matters more than that outcome.    Everything else is just fluff, Jobs, jobs, jobs not more worthless drivel programs from lifelong politician millionaires.  Sorry for the rant but so far, lots of dead people and no solutions...

As one of the 'minorities' you speak of @Melodie-And-John0 I don't see anything in what Airbnb has done in promoting other ways in which their audience base can support the BLM movement , as them 'lecturing me on how to live'.

If you think it's a good initiative  to support then support it. If not support something else you feel would be beneficial or don't support it at all.

As you know awareness days such as supporting black businesses in your local community,  or more widely are designed to raise awareness or the issue , while putting some money (in this case)  into the pocket of black led businesses. It is just one of many measures designed to help raise awareness of the issue and help to affect change. I think what I am saying, is don't see it in isolation.

I agree your upcoming elections will be key (hopefully)  in affecting change. But successive government in the US have tried to tackle this issues (police violence against the black community) and have not been successful. Systemic change and creating zero tolerance needs to happen and it is a long road ahead.

Positive discrimination in itself is not enough, change needs to happen from the inside.

In the UK it has taken years for us to challenge and address institutional racism and it is still a work in progress. A key catalyst was the tragic death of a young man called Stephen Lawrence who was beaten to death by a group of older white men purely because of the colour of his skin. The case and the botched police investigation that followed resulted in a public inquiry and whole scale change in our police forces and wider public sector.

https://www.stephenlawrence.org.uk/stephen-lawrence-day/stephens-story/

This movement isn't just about the US but what is happening in Canada and the UK too.

Ignorance. The greatest threat of violence against black communities is black communities, not police.

@Terri129  Really? Do you live in a black community? Are you black? Doesn't look like it. Perhaps you should refrain from making statements about that with which you have no personal experience, rather than posting something you read on the internet or heard from like-minded people.

@Mike323  It's a complete deflection. What BLM and the protests are about is addressing systemic racism by public officials. 

If the next door neighbor kid assaults your child, lets call him Timmy, does that not matter because Timmy's brother hit Timmy yesterday?

@Sarah977  not to mention that the FBI has complained that local and state police are not accurately reporting race data on crime. Not reporting deaths at the hands of police. 

This board is a trip. Thanks for adding some much needed sanity. Hugs....❤️

** I don't have to explain my life to you. 

**personal comment removed - Community Center Guidelines

@Sarah977  Then you really need to look at all the stats that are readily available online. There is ZERO doubt, there are more deaths caused by other members of the community than by cops. I've posted about it. For every death of a black man last year, committed by a cop, 700 were committed by a member in the community.

@Juan63  So what? I'm sure white on white crime is more prevalent than police brutality against whites, too. Does that make police brutality against a white person okay? 

@Terri129 

The greatest threat to Airbnb and black communities are the ignorant racist assumptions made by hosts. The advantage to having a community board like this, is the Airbnb can now readily identify who those people are hiding in plain sight.

That you know so little about the black community beyond whatever Fox News tells you to know is telling. It does not make it true. And if you think it’s true you have not been paying attention.