“...only spend money at Black-owned businesses.”

Mike323
Level 9
Middletown, PA

“...only spend money at Black-owned businesses.”

You can’t make this stuff up, I kid you not. Just when you think the absurdity meter is maxed out, the recommendation to ignore all businesses July 7th unless they’re black-owned is at the bottom of the page which boldly states “Battling discrimination on Airbnb” in big letters at the top. That is in addition to emailing hosts again on Independence Day how they can “fight discrimination”. 2+2=5?

Should guests listen to Airbnb and not book with any non-black property owners or managers July 7th? Would that just be for the night of the 7th, or would that apply to the date the booking was placed? (Ex: Apply to entire long term booking if house hunting on July 7th?)

https://www.airbnb.com/against-discrimination

Scroll down the page near the donate to BLM link which STILL takes donors to Actblue, and is STILL being promoted here despite being mired in corruption. Wonder why they moved it off the main page? Silent majority finally run out of patience and start pushing back?

Here’s a crazy idea that just might work. How about we just honor businesses that provide a quality product or service we value regardless of what color skin the owner has. This IS racism and it’s an assault on all races including black people who don’t want to be exploited. Just stop already. Treat people like people.

Is Airbnb purposely trying to drive this buss off the cliff with all off us on board?

How can it be that real discussion between hosts is continually being censored, coauthored, or developed by mods, while this kind of fraudulent fundraising for the democrat super pac is being pushed by the brand in our good name?

Evidently you’re a racist if you question failed logic or don’t address inequality by treating people unequally, got it? “And If the state says 2+2 is not 4 but 5, how many fingers do you see Winston?”

If you don’t get it, that’s good, it means you’re not brainwashed yet, and there’s still hope. It’s all going to come into to focus very soon for the masses.

It’s time to unmask the real sickness and corruption and those who willfully choose to protect or sponsor them.

People will be justifiably outraged when they learn the REAL reasons we we’re under “house arrest” and our businesses and economies were/are held hostage in shutdown mode, and our voices are being simultaneously silenced.

67 Replies 67
Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Airbnb exemplifies what they claim to be fighting against. For them to say don't book stays with people who don't fit a certain skin pigmentation is just blatant racism and hypocrisy. I hope somebody sues Airbnb.

Paul60
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Good comment.  

Airbnb are Snakes.
Jennifer889
Level 1
Panama City Beach, FL

We have experienced poor response time and website quality from Airbnb since Covid-19.  Instead of Airbnb's $$$$$ donation to BLM, I wish they would have hired back some of their furloughed employees!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Can you paste the information you are referencing @Mike323 in which you state Airbnb are telling it's customers to only book with black hosts. I find it incredulous that Airbnb would send out information like that. And what is the July 7 reference?

I can only think you may have misunderstood.

@Helen3  Its in the link he posted, July 7th is a 'blackout day' where people are being asked to not spend any money online unless it is with w/black owned businesses.

Mike323_0-1594058991498.jpeg

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thanks @Mark116  and @Mike323  for the additional information.

So what Airbnb is actually saying is that there are other ways in which the public can get involved in supporting  the BLM matter movement. One is to spend money at black owned businesses on a single day.  This is much more likely to be aimed at people spending money at a restaurant, bar or sports facility than looking for accommodation. 

Do you really think people booking an Airbnb will spend time seeking out a black host to book with?

This message is for hosts and guests.  If you don't want to participate on the day then don't.  There are lots of quality black owned businesses in my community and I am happy to support them on the day. Thanks for bringing this initiative to my attention.

Can't see why this is anything for hosts to get up in arms about.

If people were treated just as people regardless of the colour of their skin, religion or race. We wouldn't be in this situation.

The vast, vast majority of hosts and guests won't even see the tiny reference at the end of the page.  As we say in the UK I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. 🙂

BLM Black Lives Matter is not about racial equality, it's about anarchy and power.

Okay, Karen.

Well said. I keep thinking instead of "Karen" we should call them "Ivanka's" 🙂

No apostrophe in "Ivankas."

@Helen3 @Alexandra316 

Mole hill, or iceberg?

Are hosts small businesses?

“on July 7th, only spend money at black-owned businesses”

Those are the actual words from an official Airbnb page, claiming to fight discrimination (one click from main page)

Permitted or prohibited? [federal]

Permitted or prohibited? [state]

Can any inference be made that host’s businesses are not included in the recommendation?

Meant to be disingenuous ? (only shop black-owned businesses when you’re spending money elsewhere, it doesn’t really apply here where we are promoting it)

Is it ok for a global company to willfully create market advantages / disadvantages for its “partners” (self proclaimed) based solely on the color of their skin?

Is it ok to make allowance for, or agreements with, false doctrine as long as concessions are “small”? Subjective? Who decides how much racism is ok?

Is it ok to make a recommendation to perform racist acts both on and off platform as long as it’s only for one day?

How much is too much sanctioned racism? 2 days of sponsored racism? 3 days, a week, a month? Is it per event, or cumulative?

When does it cross the threshold to support it or oppose?

Should the line be drawn when there are separate water fountains based on race?

Who are the real racists?

Is it those calling out hypocrisy, or those who talk out both sides of their mouth to create division where none would otherwise exist?

“He has made from one blood every nation of men”

Not race vs race

Good vs evil

Wow... just WOW... thats f-ed up. Airbnb stoops to a new low. 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Mike323 So the heading says "Ways to get involved outside our community" and mentions a day for supporting businesses that are owned by POC... and your takeaway from that is Airbnb is telling you to only book with black hosts? Are you just looking for things to be outraged by and get other people worked up about, or do you just suffer from really poor reading comprehension?