Optional extra pricing for add on services like wi-fi, hamper, flowers etc?

Answered!
Jess-and-Tim0
Level 3
Melbourne, Australia

Optional extra pricing for add on services like wi-fi, hamper, flowers etc?

Is there or WILL there be a function to for hosts to have custom additional add-ons so guests can opt-in to things like as purchase wifi, dinner, brekky pack or a hamper etc? I would like to have wifi an an optional add on only. Cannot see anything except for adding security deposit and cleaning charges.

It would be a customised area at the end of purchase... similar to how a customer can add a meal or extra baggage for your flights, or late check out etc.

1 Best Answer
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Jess-and-Tim0,

You can do this by putting the extra services you would like to offer in your listing.  If you wanted to offer a hamper for something like $75, have it in your description and then if a guest is interested, you can use the resolution center opyion of "request payment for additional services".  Unless it has been changed recently, Airbnb does not charge a guest or host fee on these charges.  Here is a Help Guide on using the resolution center: https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/The-Resolution-Center-A-Community-Help-Guide-Request...

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

View Best Answer in original post

44 Replies 44
Juliette11
Level 4
Denpasar, Indonesia

By what I heard have some hosts the function Paid Amenities. I do not have it yet, but it would be a great feature! 

Barthelemy0
Level 10
Marne-la-Vallée, France

Wi-Fi for an additional fee sounds very 2000s ... Even greedy hotels dropped this a long time ago.

But it would be good for airport transfers, babycots, breakfasts, welcome dinners, welcome drinks, wine etc. 

In this way you can offer the guest an even better experience and you don't have to pay it first with your own money. 

I too want to be able to offer additional services like stocking the refrigerator with essentials and or to decorate for a special occasion or birthday. All with the intent to make their stay more enjoyable with less work. Has anyone heard of this add on feature being available yet?

Did you ever figure this out?

Marie54
Level 3
Murdock, NE

In my opinion, charging for WiFi is a bad idea.  It is an expected amenity in the industry.  You will loose guests for nickle and diming them.

@Marie0 wrote:

In my opinion, charging for WiFi is a bad idea.  It is an expected amenity in the industry.  You will loose guests for nickle and diming them.

Hi @Marie54 and @Barthelemy0
Agreed for some listings, yes it would be outdated and expected.

I've had 130+ bookings in the past 2 years without wi-fi and done pretty well? It's in order to keep costs down for the budget traveller and I haven't lost any guests. This model has worked very well as that's my market i'm attracting which is why i'd like the opt-in feature. Internet in Australia is about $69 per month for unlimited so quite expensive.

Similar to how budget airlines offer the basic fare 'no frills' to get you there, but you can add a bunch of optional extras - i think this is a smart business model for those who attract this market (me). However, very rarely I have guests stay for one month who couldn't live without wifi, so am looking into opt in options. Thankfully my building allows you to get access to wireless for 24 hrs, a week, a month or via a long term package so can switch it on and off anytime.

A feature would also benefit this, as well as enabling other things like a hamper, or air con, a changeover service if they are staying for more than 2 weeks etc.

Very sound reasoning.  I thank you for your response to allow me to broaden my view a bit.  Thanks for the reply.

Here's a suggestion - we charge $10 for keeping a pet in our house, but that is not a parameter on which you can put billing in airbnb.

So this is paid cash at the time of the visit.  - one option for wifi?  or - I wonder if your provider could require all new devices to first put the browser through a "front page" like they do at hotels, you have to accept the terms on that page - you could pay on that page?

Good luck, and congratulations on a successful business!

Different countries, different standards. Complimentary WiFi is still quite uncommmon and considered an advantage when booking in Europe. Offering amenities such as food baskets, drinks, WiFi and other convenient products or services could be directly charged to your guests credit card via PayPal or Square for example. Using Get Properly to monitor the before, during or afterwards might be a great idea 😉

Jessa0
Level 10
Ngorongoro, Tanzania

What do you mean complimentary WiFi is uncommon in Europe? Where?

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

We are not hotels we are a Host for Guest to Have a safe place to rest but with rules 

I also have a listing that does not have wifi and I have been booked solid all summer long.

Hello Community.  I really value everyone's opinions, and I also support all business models - whether it is an "all-inclusive" or "ala carte" type service. Let's please be kind to each other with our replies - what works for one person may not work for another, and I don't think it is fair to say a host will lose guests if they don't offer wifi - it all depends on what the rate is, what it includes and what the competition offers. Like VIP's, highly rated guests might be offered complimentary perks like gift baskets or wine, and other people might be charged. After all, isn't it customary for discounts to be given for longer term stays, so why not offer ala carte pricing?  Just like hotels and classes of air travel, airbnb is not a one-size fits all situation, each property is a unique experience, and it is up to the host to decide what goods and services are included in the rate.  Thanks for listening! 

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

I agree 100%