Optional extra pricing for add on services like wi-fi, hamper, flowers etc?

Answered!
Jess-and-Tim0
Level 3
Melbourne, Australia

Optional extra pricing for add on services like wi-fi, hamper, flowers etc?

Is there or WILL there be a function to for hosts to have custom additional add-ons so guests can opt-in to things like as purchase wifi, dinner, brekky pack or a hamper etc? I would like to have wifi an an optional add on only. Cannot see anything except for adding security deposit and cleaning charges.

It would be a customised area at the end of purchase... similar to how a customer can add a meal or extra baggage for your flights, or late check out etc.

1 Best Answer
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Jess-and-Tim0,

You can do this by putting the extra services you would like to offer in your listing.  If you wanted to offer a hamper for something like $75, have it in your description and then if a guest is interested, you can use the resolution center opyion of "request payment for additional services".  Unless it has been changed recently, Airbnb does not charge a guest or host fee on these charges.  Here is a Help Guide on using the resolution center: https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/The-Resolution-Center-A-Community-Help-Guide-Request...

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

View Best Answer in original post

44 Replies 44

Me to

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Jess-and-Tim0,

You can do this by putting the extra services you would like to offer in your listing.  If you wanted to offer a hamper for something like $75, have it in your description and then if a guest is interested, you can use the resolution center opyion of "request payment for additional services".  Unless it has been changed recently, Airbnb does not charge a guest or host fee on these charges.  Here is a Help Guide on using the resolution center: https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/The-Resolution-Center-A-Community-Help-Guide-Request...

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Hi Dave & Deb, Goodness I had no idea. I'll definately use this method then. Great idea!

Thanks Dave & Deb. We rent out a small apartment in Andalucia and although we welcome children we do not have storage space for a baby cot (crib) or high chair so we hire these in for guests who need them. Up to now we have asked the guests to pay our local agents for these items on arrival, but sometimes the guests forget to offer the money and our agents forget to ask for it. In future we will claim payment directly from the guest, via the resolution centre, as you advise. Pete & Anne

Deborah1
Level 10
Beaufort, SC

I have to ask --- what is "hamper"? Here in the states, it would be a container for laundry. Thanks!

Hi @Deborah1,

Yes a hamper can be for clothes but you can have a hamper (basket) for food, toiletries, etc...

hamper.jpg

David

@Dave-and-Deb0

Oh, I see much hilarity ensueing between the differnet uses of "hamper!" I had no idea either...

I have a Square Reader, it was free and I can process CC's that way, usually people have the cash.

If there is a buy in for wifi, is it possible that the guest can just do it themselves.

I have wifi on anyway so it is not an extra cost.

David
Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Regardless of whether Airbnb allows you to charge for these extras, from a tax and regulatory perspective you're moving into very dangerous territory once you charge for anything other than use of the room.  

Food is particularly problematic.  If a B & B is a permitted usage given the zoning of the property, and you've applied for and received the relevant permits etc, then it may be OK.   However, you need to speak to your accountant about the capital gains tax implications of providing ancillary services, particularly if your listing is one for which you hoped to claim the Main Residence Exemption.

Todd18
Level 1
Minneapolis, MN

I have a similar question. I keep an indoor parking space with my AirBnB apartment; if I vacated it, I could add it to the rental so that guests could use it instead of paying for street parking during their stay. AirBnB doesn't currently allow me to offer an a la carte pricing option to my listing, but this would be a very useful add-on for my guests, and one I could easily accommodate, if I had notice. 

Jean52
Level 1
Ontario, Canada

Just wondering if there is a way to add on any additional costs during a guests stay or do you just have to ask for cash payment?

Lori0
Level 3
Bowling Green, KY

I thought there was a way to add on this feature! Does it have to be added on ahead of time? for example, guests checking in wanted yoga as additional service. I have a liscensed yoga instructor that I can schedule. She charges $50 per hr.  How can I add that to the billing after guest has checked in? I love being able to offer that to my guests, but do not wish to pay for it out of my pocket as it seems unprofessional not being able to add it to the bill .  I would not mind adding it to the bill and pay instructor?

how can I add this?

LoriKy

Dear @Lori0

I think that Airbnb does not promote this as it means they will be in another business involved then accommodation (different tax rules etc). I am using now often Paypal to make sure I receive the money in advance before making reservations or buying products for the guests. 

Dear Lorry, 

You can go to www.airbnb.com/resolutions and request extra money for additional services. Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 08.39.54.png

Amiti0
Level 1
Canary Islands, Spain

Long story short, is there any solution yet? is there any options where we can add nee extra services? Direct answers please