over use of washing machine

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

over use of washing machine

I have a few guests staying for a week but its come to the point i want to install a coin operated laundry and dryer. laundry mats charge and so do smaller hotels why shouldn't we? they charge because if its free people will use and abuse it, but if they have to pay they will be sensible. 

Current guests are using it day in and day out all times of night. I had to tell one guest 0700 is not the time to be running a washing machine outside of my room door. I didnt have this issue before but each guest presents a surprise I never thought of before. Ive since bought doors and a lock for my laundry room and state theres a $2 charge to wash and dry per load. Having a  minimum day to use it doesnt work if you have guests staying two weeks. They seem to think its okay to use it every other day for those two weeks. 

9 Replies 9
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Zacharias0  Can't you specify that the washing machine amenity is only available for minimum one week stays and that there is a maximum of one load per week? Sheesh, I only have one load a week for myself, if that, then another for sheets and towels. I don't even offer use of the washing machine to guests- if I'm doing a load, I'll ask my guest if they have a few things they'd like to add to it (but I only host one guest at a time, so I can see that wouldn't work for those who host more). From posts I've read here in the past, it seems some guests show up with a weeks worth of laundry to start with, or do a load on full setting with a few pairs of underwear, a pair of socks and a tee shirt every day.

The lock on the laundry room door and charge per load does seem like a good solution for these types, though.

TracieandJason0
Level 8
Philadelphia, PA

@Zacharias0 I just did a quick google search and a conversion kit for an existing machine is $200+. I don't know if that is a worthwhile investment or not, that's up to you. 

You have good reviews, good location and fair average price. I would consider just not allowing laundry use as an amenity anymore unless it's a huge selling point for your listings. Consider removing it and maybe making your price a tiny bit more attractive to offset this. I remember you mentioning laundry being an issue for you in another posting as well and I am wondering if it's causing you more grief than it's worth. For a few lucky few after checking in, perhaps you can still allow this amenity if they are nice enough. I also see you live in Nevada and wonder if there is any concerns with water conservation where you live? I remember seeing someone post that they get penalized if use up too much water per year. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Zacharias0, I allow one machine per 5 days, but as Sarah, I may offer to wash a few things with my load. And it coasts 5 Euros per load, which only I will do. They fill it, I switch it on. Drying in the laundromat.

It’s rather easy to control it: unplug it. Or disconnect the line from the main switches. It could be worth it, to build a switch into the line, but behind the machine. So it’s visibly plugged in. But no electricity;-)

@Zacharias0

I think I mentioned this before in a prior post.......I state in my listing description and house rules that only for guests staying longer than 1 week, I will allow 1 load of laundry per week at no additional charge.  I also explain that hosts handle laundry for towels and bedding so 1 load per week for personal clothes should be more than enough.

I also had problems with overuse with one guest in the past (for 4 months!) it was very frustrating when he would continue to do teeny tiny loads....whenever we brought it up he'd say sorry, I had nothing to wear, I ran out of socks, it won't happen again blah~blah~ over and over but of course it was pretty clear he had no intention of respecting the 1 load per week rule. Henry and I decided to just put up with it because although in terms of utilities and amenities he used more than our average guest, for the most part, he stayed out a lot only coming home to sleep and shower (and do laundry). We left an honest review with a thumbs down.

You did mention you will start locking the door to limit access so I think that will definitely help.  Good luck~!

@Jessica-and-Henry0   Maybe it would have been better financially to go buy the guy a couple more pairs of socks 🙂 Then see what excuse he came up with the next time for his teeny load. 

Funny story- one of my daughters  who lives in another part of Mexico with her Mexican husband and the kids, had gone to visit and stay with his family in another area not that far from me. It was the first time she had met his family, and my daughter was washing out a bunch of clothes by hand one day. Her Mexican mother-in-law was standing there watching her (checking to make sure my daughter was a competent and dutiful wife who knew how to take care of her husband and family, obviously) . My daughter started wringing out the clothes and hanging them on the line when the mother-in-law said  "Those aren't clean!" My daughter turned to her and said "I figure if they get wet and then dry again, they're clean."

I'm sure mother-in-law was bemoaning the fact that her baby boy got together with a hippie gringo girl instead of choosing a good Mexican girl who understood how to do laundry.

@Sarah977

I have a really demanding job that keeps me away from home during the week........I am pretty sure Henry's mom would probably have a fit if she knew just how much of the housework and chores he actually does and how much I do not do 🙂

With situations like that I wouldn't just put up with it. You could have told the guest if he continued to break your house rules, you would need to consider cancelling his booking or put ask him not to use the washing machine at all.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@TracieandJason0

I didn't know it is possible to add a conversion kit for an existing machine? I think it is worth $200 investment for water, electricity, detergent and  machine wear and tear

Average stay in Zagreb is just 2 nights so we don't offer washing machine, they can use self service loundry 2 blocks away or wash few socks by hand

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

For convenience sake, the washer/dryer in my guesthouse is in a closet in the garage. I was told I should put the laundry where guests can get to it. But that would have involved some renovations so I’m leaving it where it is. I keep that garage locked as it is also where my husband stores his bikes and boats, so guests would have to ask me in order to access the laundry. Since my place is generally a weekend getaway then I think they can live without.