potential "guests" enquiries, don't respond after I answer them- rude and annoying!

Nancy22
Level 4
Quintana Roo, Mexico

potential "guests" enquiries, don't respond after I answer them- rude and annoying!

Not sure if anyone wants to comment on this, but we as hosts are rated on our response times, and yet 'guests' are not- with regards to enquires. Maybe I am just too sensitive, but man it makes me CRAZY when someone asks a bunch of questions, and never gets back to you on whether they are still interested or not? It is just plain rude- I think they should be scored/rated as well.  I do everything I can to make sure I answer all enquiries as soon as I can, frick I take the phone everywhere, but potential guests??? About 50% of the time I get no response after writing back to them. Thoughts anyone?

20 Replies 20
Luis-and-Tati0
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Nancy22,

yes.. this may be really annoyng at times... but with the right answers you may be able to get your guest to book with you...

We found that with the "Instant book" turned on we got a lot more reservations without as many inquiries and questions... Many times the guest will not respond even our "welcome" message after they book...

Luis

Thanks Luis, I will consider using that instant thing:) cheers

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Potential guests shop around - just like you would do yourself when looking for accomodation.  You would like to find something that is right for you.  With only two reviews, it is only natural that potential guests ask questions.  

Sorry to say, but I got negative vibes reading your descriptions - there are a lot no-no do not and that does not feel welcoming.  If there is a lot to choose from in the area, many potential guests would just move on to something else rather than being terrified of ruining your expensive stuff.  You could say something like - it is a private home, please treat with care and respect.  

Thanks for you opinion, I am very new to Airbnb, but my objective is not to rent the condo more, it has been  rented 100% to capacity every year for almost 9  years, and of course I don't mind answering questions, even tons of questions, but my point was  getting no response on wheher they are still intersted after I respond to their quiries  with all the warm-fuzzy stuff. Sorry, but I think you missed the point. We as hosts are expected to be prompt and thorough, and are graded on that matter, but those seeking accomodations are not. Move on by all means, but let the host know you are not interested, it IS the polite thing to do!

For many potential guests, airbnb is just another booking engine.  If they do not find the time to come back to you, ignore them.  They are not the kind of guests you would want.

Very good point- thanks so much

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

What a great condo you have!

Guests searching for accommodations are prompted by Airbnb to send out more inquiries for just in case, so they send out more inquiries. And after they get the booking they want, they 'forget' to re-connect.

And yes, it's annoying when they don't respond back. But something that can't be changed.

I used to feel like you in my first year of hosting too! 

Now, I've gotten shorter in my replies, and if it's already been detailed in my text I'll refer them to that.

Like: " it's not far at all from the center - if you take a look at my topographical photos and under 'location' in my listing you'll find very detailled info."

And if I pre-approve them might add "I've pre-approved you (not a reservation though), so in case you wish to finalize booking  you can do so automatically, unless another booking comes in earlier."

Regarding Instant Book -

I'd be EXTREMELY carefull with that since somebody can automatically book without going through you first - means you do not have ANY control with who books because you can't 'screen' them beforehand through a conversation! 

And don't expect that they have automatically read your listing or house rules either! (many guests don't take the time)

There are a lot of hosts who have had good experiences, but I've read a lot more horrifying stories. Esp. with newer Airbnb hosts. 

As to your cutlery and other things - I wonder if it wasn't less stressful for you to lock away your nice stuff  and leave some IKEA things for the guests? Always expect breakage or damage, and being very particular about my stuff myself, I wouldn't want that heartbreak...

IKEA (or any similar company) isn't expensive, yet tasteful and even fits in a suave environment. And the neutral style of IKEA for example, can even be nicer for guests instead of the sometimes very particular tastes of other people.

Re. electricity - maybe consider bumping up your cleaning charges? Better than adding that restriction in your listing. Under house rules add that they use electricity (+ other utilities?) responsibly. Maybe hang up an extra note in the house with the house rules and highlight the really important points.

Good luck and happy hosting!

@Andrea9 @Nancy22

Actually, I do not think airbnb gives the opportunity to set instant book to novice hosts.  I think you may only turn on instant book after a certain experience with the site, or so I have read.

Good point about the electricity.  Many, many do not read the description properly and would miss that electricity is extra unless it is pointed out to them in very clear text and a reminder given on arrival.  It could lead to misunderstandings, lower ratings and a lot of extra work through the resolution center and possible disputes.  

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Marit-Anne0

I do hope that it is true that Airbnb doesn't give new hosts the Insta-Book option now.

I've just read so many posts under 'New to Hosting'  regarding bookings they had received through Insta-Book. They were even surprised it was turned on or that they had no choice in the matter! 

thanks ladies, but yupp I can do instant book, but like I told Andrea, not going to happen -LOL

I am extrodianarly clear about the power/electricity, don't worry- there will never be  a misunderstanding. As you can see I am maybe a bit too upfront with my concerns- giggle

THANKS SO MUCH to everyone for you fantastic and very helpful responses.  For sure I have looked in the auto booking,  and I can do it, but have chosen not to. I think Andrea you make some very valid point- thanks for the time you took to respond with so much detail.  As I am sure you can all tell, I am a bit more ahhhh, shall we say discerning on who I accept as a guest. Andrea, your idea is wonderful about getting different stuff, and might have to think about that, but my original objective was to provide a luxury condo, with all the "treats", so that their vacation experience is top notch. This has served us very, very well over the years, as we have guests that have come back every year for 8 years:)  We cherish these folks and get most of our rentals as direct referrals from them. My intent was to use airbnb to bring in the off extra guest when there is an opening.

On the electricity guys, well that is a big problem here. It is insanely expensive, and we have 2 different rate systems, one for low users and one for high. Our rent is very low for the size/still of condo, because we don't build in the cost of power. In the past we never had to charge or explain the power issue, as everyone to date had been very understanding and conscientious of their power usage. But my first airbnb guest brought the 'unreasonable' usuage to light in a big way, and I mean BIG. They brought in their own full-size dehumidifier, and left all the A/Cs on during the day/night. In all the years we have never had anyone go over 17 kwh/day, that was the highest. Average use is 6-9 kwh/day, well this guest used a whopping 55!!!! I lost my mind. This would have moved us into the high rate for 12 months. Even after chatting with them, they only were able to get it down to 25/day- still incrediable high. Sooooooo, we now say that we only include some free. I have looked at other listings, and several just charge extra for power, maybe I should just do that?

Hello, so I’m new to Airbnb as well and I have instant booking as well but I’m having the same issue I get a request I respond as soon as I see it which is usually 5min after but I never get a reopens this have happened to me more then ones. 

@Noor82 There is difference between a request and an inquiry, which you may not be aware of?

An inquiry is simply a way for guests to ask a host questions in order to help them decide whether to book your place, without making a commitment. As such, you may never hear back from that guest again. 

It's annoying when they don't even reply to thank you for your message, but that's just how it goes. I consider answering inquiries to be just another part if my hosting job description.  When you get an inquiry, you don't have to click on pre-approve or decline, just answering the message is all that's required. If you pre-approve it, the guest has to take further steps to actually book.

If it's a request, that's different- you do have to either accept or decline within 24 hours, and as soon as you click on accept, the guest's payment method is charged and as soon as the payment goes through, the booking is confirmed.

If you get a message from a guest which comes as a booking request, but you have things to discuss and get clear on with the guest first, and itmight take some time, you can ask them to please withdraw the request and use the "Contact Host" option (which is an inquiry) on your listing instead, so you can message each other without the pressure of either of you having to decide right away.