prices for extra bed

Bronwen3
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

prices for extra bed

My apartment has one double bed, and a sofa bed.  On the website you can only charge extra after 2 guests, but I am finding a lot of friends, family travelling together who request a second bed on booking for two people.  Airbnb seems to assume two guests will be a couple.  It would be really good to be able to charge for the second bed if hosting two guests.  Otherwise you have to mention that in the description and then request money through the resolution centre which is rather messy and confusing for guests as the headline price will not charge extra until three or more guests. 

I hope that makes sense!  But anyone feels the same please feedback to Airbnb about it.  Linen does cost to wash and iron!  It makes hosting 2 guests needing two beds less economic, especially if you have a number of them back to back as I have had recently .  

I'd be interested to know what others think. 

36 Replies 36
Bronwen3
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Thank you.  I just feel Airbnb should provide the option.  I have had 4 back to back bookings for 2 gusests using 2 beds.  I take it on the chin but would prefer the option on the pricing part of the website.  My charges are quite reasonable for Camden!  However the cost of laundering endless sheets are not! 

Shelley130
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I have the same problem, if it’s just the odd occasion I don’t bother but I’ve had one after another. The final straw tonight was they requested bed linen at 10.15 at night. I woke my daughter up in her room to get to the bed linen cupboard.

air B n B needs to add this option in extra costs.

@Kath9  I misunderstood  @Bronwen3 ‘s   question. If Airbnb doesn’t allow you to charge for a second person that’s a problem. It should allow her to set the charge at one person and extra for each person after to compensate for the extra wear and tear and laundry. Or charge by the beds used. . 😞

@Christine615 Airbnb does allow you to charge for an extra person. That isn't what @Bronwen3 was asking. My interpretation is that she wants to charge an additional fee for 2 people who use both beds. She would just charge the base fee for two people using the same bed as she wouldn't have to wash an extra set of bedding. Hope that makes sense!

@Kath9 I understand that. I really do. I'm responding to the fact that @Bronwen3  said Airbnb doesn't give her the option to charge one fee for a single person and a different fee for two.

But she can do that. She can set the maximum number of people in the "Listing" description setting to 2 people (or however many she wants). And then she can go to the pricing section and set the additional fee to apply to each person over a specific number. I just played with my settings as a test and it allowed me to set my "extra charges apply" in pricing to each guest over 1 person if I want to.

So she should play with the settings. But I do see her point. She wants to charge per bed, not per person and that's a weakness in the Airbnb platform that could be changed if they wanted to. I don't know how many people would use it.

But perhaps in her listing she can charge a single price for two people and give a discount if only one bed is used as a solution. That way the search engine would still show her to the right guests, but she's free to adjust the price during the booking process. (Rebate on price is always feels better than an upcharge imho).

Bronwen3
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Exactly what I was trying to express, thank you!  Very happy for the base price to cover 2 people in the same bed, its the cost of extra linen.  I know I can charge for it, but its not as straight forward. Many thanks. 

Bronwen,

You are heard. I'm getting so frustrated that people aren't getting this! I also think Airbnb should provide an option to charge for additional linen if you have two guests staying and one wants to use the sofa bed. 

Bronwen3
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Thank you!  Exactly my problem.  I can see below that some do two listings, not sure how that works as you might still face the same problem.  Thanks all for all the suggestions and understanding. 

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Bronwen3 

Unfortunately I have this issue and honestly, it is a real nightmare, guests ignore it and even when u claimed or mention it or made a request to pay via resolution centre, they don't pay. Even sometimes they try to hide linen they used for the sofa bed, sometimes I just gave up even though it is on my listings does not stop on daily bases guests to simply ignore it.

I found any extra payment, like a sofa bed or car park you end up having an issue
i stop renting my car space and rent to private business nearby because I was so tired of guests simply ignoring the payment even it was only 10 per day.

So I honestly wish you good luck 

Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Bronwen3 

I travel a lot with my mother, so I always look for places with 2 beds / 2 bedrooms / bed + sofabed.

I allways tell the host that I am traveling with my mum and, because of that, we need the 2 beds made up.

Same happened last year, when we traveled in 4 people (1 couple + 2 friends). we looked for places with 3 bedrooms, told that it would be 4 people, but we needed 3 beds made.

Not once we were charged. Maybe they assumed that it would be less people having showers / etc?

If you are renting a place with 2 beds, I would assume that it is because you need the 2 beds, otherwise, I would look for a place with only 1 bed, right?

Shelley130
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Not if it’s a sofa bed.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

The easiest way to accomplish what you want is to create 2 listings.

One listing has one bed, the other listing has two beds.

LInk them together to prevent double bookings.

You don't even have to remove the extra bed, just don't provide linens.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Bronwen3 @Paul154 @Roberta2 @Marie82 @Christine615 

What Paul said. That’s exactly what I do. My space has 4 listings, each with a unique configuration of available beds and maximum occupancy.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

I believe that the desire is to have the ability to charge extra based upon the number of guests (which we already have) AND the number of beds that will be used (which can vary depending upon guest sleeping prefernces).   This type of reservation is similar to what's seen for hotels.  Two guests may request one queen/king bed, or two double beds, and the room rates are charged according to the accommodation type.

Shirley92
Level 2
Ducktown, TN

Guests requiring 2 beds is very labor/cost intensive ESPECIALLY when this occurs with back to back one night reservations (which happens often during season). I would love to have the ability to charge for the extra bed. So far the best suggestion seems to be to charge extra for each "person" over 1 and provide a refund if only 1 bed is used.