prices for extra bed

Bronwen3
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

prices for extra bed

My apartment has one double bed, and a sofa bed.  On the website you can only charge extra after 2 guests, but I am finding a lot of friends, family travelling together who request a second bed on booking for two people.  Airbnb seems to assume two guests will be a couple.  It would be really good to be able to charge for the second bed if hosting two guests.  Otherwise you have to mention that in the description and then request money through the resolution centre which is rather messy and confusing for guests as the headline price will not charge extra until three or more guests. 

I hope that makes sense!  But anyone feels the same please feedback to Airbnb about it.  Linen does cost to wash and iron!  It makes hosting 2 guests needing two beds less economic, especially if you have a number of them back to back as I have had recently .  

I'd be interested to know what others think. 

36 Replies 36
Charles224
Level 10
Clare, Australia

Hi @Bronwen3 ,

We have also had to deal with this issue,  but are fortunate that our beds are in separate rooms (which we can lock off).

As many guests really are 'single' travelers, I write; "You are the only booking: Please book for 3 Persons if you need both rooms". This mostly works, and I politely mention "the 2nd room will be locked" in our initial correspondence (which will alert a guest to the issue before check-in).

I agree with the statements that AirBnb should have a "Per-Bed" pricing option as an alternative to "Per-Person".

The work of making beds is greater than cleaning a couple of extra towels, and in my case, both rooms are ensuite..

Bronwen3
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Unfortunately my set up is different so I cant block off one room.  But thanks for the insight its useful to hear how others manage

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I have a per-guest additional fee after one person. That comes with its own issues, but I think I would find it intrusive to ask guests how many beds they plan to use. I've had couples be "intimate" in all the available beds, so ended up doing laundry for four instead of two. I've also had someone tell me they only booked for one person because they only plan to use one bed. 

Maybe there are neutral ways to ask the question of how many beds people plan to use. 

Since my costs aren't really in laundry - it's not that much more expensive to have two sets of sheets in the washer/dryer than one -  they are more related to water-usage for showers etc, and the large number of devices people want to plug in,  and I don't iron sheets, so sure, it takes more time to make two beds rather than one, but I feel my costs are recouped by the per-guest fee. 

Bronwen3
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

I do iron my sheets.  If the booking is say a father and daughter then I would always make up the two beds, or people say they are friends, or recently I had three women all related, and I just made up the bed.  The main problem is just when its two people as singles. 

@Bronwen3  I just have all the beds made up, for each reservation. One is a pull-out bed, so I only have that ready if I have four guests (my maximum). 

I had it happen, one time, that someone booked for one, which travelling in a group of four. I didn't find that out until day of check-in, where he said the other folks "weren't going to stay the night, but just shower and change" before catching their flight out. Which, to me, is using the amenities, and so I charged them the extra fee.

As it happened, their flight was cancelled due to weather, so they all spent the night, anyway, and I didn't have to rush in and make up extra beds. 

Bronwen3
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Thats good it all worked out!

Joel953
Level 2
Spring Lake, MI

Screenshot_20210712-105747_Airbnb.jpg

This is how I handle the use of my roll away bed. Clearly stated as an upcharge and only available if the fee has been paid for upfront.