private feedback to Airbnb - what's the purpose???

private feedback to Airbnb - what's the purpose???

I've recently started to draft (in my head for now) a review for my current guest and was wondering, what is the purpose of the private feedback to Airbnb?

I've only done a couple reviews till now and I am well aware about the 3 levels of reviews/feedback the host and guest each get to write - (1) public review (for everyone to see)  (2) private review (for guest/host eyes only) (3) private feedback to Airbnb (not shared with guest/host) I get the purpose of #1 and #2 but I've started wondering...... what does Airbnb do with the private feedback people leave? Not that Airbnb is known for being transparent, honest or consistent when handling host/guest relations (LOL!), but still, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't share the contents/details with other people, or let the other side know what the host/guest said in confidence.

Also, for those of you who have left private feedback only for Airbnb, what did you write? Nitty-gritty bad stuff you didn't want to get into with the public or private review? or anything positive? - I'd love to know what other hosts usually write in this category.

20 Replies 20
Sue251
Level 5
Tasman, New Zealand

I'm interested to know this too. I've never felt the need to leave this feedback. I imagine it might be something like "this guest is an alcoholic" "this guest has severe dementia and is a danger to himself" or similar warning of potential danger even though nothing went wrong with the stay. Or maybe a chance to leave feedback if something was really wrong but you don't feel comfortable saying it, maybe feel threatened. I am also interested to know who has used it and what for.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

It is where the hosts can be dead honest. A guest may be 'technically ok' but in practice may be a royal pain and that is a perfect place to say so. It gives Airbnb something to go by in future conflicts that arise betrween a host and with that guest.

I know I'm responding late but sharing in case helpful; I had a host who couldn't be better on many levels but I felt had a brash way of communicating. I loved the place and my stay (which was an extended one), but I also thought it could help both the host and the guest if I shared the feedback on his communication skills. That's a detail that could get misinterpreted in a review, hence why I liked the opportunity to provide the private feedback. 

Marie

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Just like Fred said, I have used it in extreme cases to leave a trace of problems.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Btw, should make private feedback super short, one line will do. Probably more helpful.

Just imagining some possible feedbacks from hosts:

> I wouldn't rent to this person again if it was the last person on Earth.

> An incredible high-maintenance creature. Totally impossible to keep happy.

> Some guests seem to make the days go so slow, this was one of them.

> Airbnb, where did you find this ogre?

Thanks @Fred13 and @Marzena4 !!! 

Looks like I will definitely be making a private feedback for my next review~

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Jessica-and-Henry0

I agree with the other posters. This is the place that I put the awful stuff. The stuff I can't put in the review because it is too intimate, to difficult to put into diplomatic words  or cannot be 100% proven.  

And I agree with you that Airbnb is not transperant with their purpose. (If I were a big company, I would being not be sharing TMI also). 

When I share private information with Airbnb, I wish to create a record of bad behaviour.  It the guest does that same thing to the next host, Airbnb can make a better informed decision on whever or not to support the guest or the host.

In this scenario, do you leave then a good rating?  I had a first time renter that was the worst renter I’ve had.  Too many people, 2hours to clean the mess, red stains all over the linens which they didn’t mention, and what burns the most, they took the 2 brand new Bath & Body works full size shower gels (I know I need to let that one go!).  Thoughts are appreciated!

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hi @Jessica-and-Henry0

I almost never use the private feedback.
I think one of the purposes of the private feedback is to give the host the opportunity to tell the truth about some situation without using euphemism when it is necessary.

Exemple: Sometime ago I had a guest that was a heavy drinker and had problems with the condominium rules and house rules. He also used to bring overnight guests.... and I am not going to mention another issue.

I did not want to say it directly in the review to spare others from reading too unpleasant a story. The second motive is, the guest was dubiously polite and friendly when sober. However I had to write the review, and I did it using euphemism. I said something like that, "I can not rent my apartment to you again because the condo and house rules are not suitable to you".
I just reported my experience when hosting him and I did not want to be judgmental. So it is at the discretion of the hosts to accept him or not, or ask him why he is banned from other host.

In the private message, I reported the facts directly with the explanations I thought it was necessary.
If we as hosts have to reply the guest review in our listing page, what we said can be supported by the honest private feedback.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Jessica-and-Henry0

I have used the private feedback with a clever scammer, a not so clever scammer and with those who are totally clueless and not suited to apartment rental/individual travel without a 24 hour desk support (better suited to hotel/guesthouse category).

@Marit-Anne0 @J-Renato0 @Paul154

The more I hear from you guys the more comfortable I am with going full-blown honest in the private feedback - not that I think Airbnb will or can do much with it.

Thanks for the replies!

I would like to suggest an amendment to the Cancellation policies. I recently had my flight canceled by an airline and when I went to cancel my reservation and request a refund, I was only offered 17% of the total amount of the reservation. Although I was well aware of the Cancellation Policy, all of the requirements for a full refund did not recognize my situation as an "extenuating circumstance", which I feel is unfair. I should not be penalized for the decisions made by an airline. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The Guest-to-Host private feedback is usually helpful, the guest always suggest something constructive that one can use, but did not merit saying publicly. The Host-to-Airbnb is where host get to have some fun!

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I have never used it.

David