problem collecting payment from guest?????

Mary347
Level 2
Troy, NY

problem collecting payment from guest?????

Hi Community:

Can someone please help? I'm recovering from a horrible situation with a guest only to learn I'm not getting paid at all it seems. She booked 3/2-5/7 but wanted to leave early so she altered her stay to leave 4/5. I will spare you the details on how unreasonable, borderline evil she was during her stay. I was shocked to learn that the $3500 I thought was in my account was never sent and that airbnb  doesnt intend to pay. I've been a superhost for 5 years and manage several apartments which means I make airbnb a lot of money. I can hardly believe I got this automated email below. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mary

Hi Mary,
The attempt to charge your guest, D, for the amount due for reservation HM9MFWPM28 from March 7, 2018 - April 5, 2018 was unsuccessful. The reservation is still active at this time, and we've sent D an email alert with a direct way to pay the balance.
If your guest successfully submits payment, we'll send you a confirmation email right away. If you have questions about the payment problem, you can reach out to your guest.
If your guest doesn't successfully submit payment or if they cancel the reservation before making the payment, Airbnb isn't liable for issuing your host payout. If you prefer to cancel the reservation, you can cancel without penalty at any time before the trip begins. If the reservation has started and you'd like to cancel, please send us a note.
We appreciate your understanding.
Regards,
The Airbnb Team
16 Replies 16

You need to talk to Airbnb directly. That message was automated.  Get a case manager, @Mary347, and definitely use your status as a Superhost to get your problem farther up the hierarchy.  

Thank you Alice and Jeff.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Mary347 She ended up staying aproximately a month, but cut her stay short and was never charged upfront by Airbnb, is that the upshot?

Btw, long bookings exceeding 28 days are risque, for many reasons. 

Thanks Fred.  I didn’t realize that bookings over 28 days were risk. I’d love to learn more about that as I do many long-term bookings. This is the first that I know of but now I’m going to back panel and make sure I’ve been paid on all of the reservations over the years. Basically she arrived March 2 and was slated to leave May 7 but then made up all of these stories and asked to leave April 5. I thought I was being reasonable about accepting  the alteration  request and I told her that if I can book it again I’ll refund her but she understood that she wasnt entitled to a discount let alone a refund because she changed her mind.  Also gave her $200 just to make peace with her.  Of course I didn’t do any of this without having lengthy discussions with Airbnb. I was trying to get them to give me a firm answers About the repercussions of various courses of action but each person told me something different. I finally felt confident enough with their answers to move forward only to find out that I am not being paid at all.  

The automated email said they had trouble collecting payment from her and that they are not liable for any of this and that I could reach out to her to ask for payment. I went to do that and noticed that she removed her profile picture and it is now just a picture of a road. She also changed her last name it used to be D Lim and she told me her name is Daphne and now it’s D Ling.

Before I accepted the alteration I want Airbnb that she was dangerous based on all of the things I had gone through with her. I won’t get into details. They told me she had never booked anything with Airbnb. I’ve been a super host for five years and I can hardly believe this is the treatment I get.

Amazing.

Btw, quite a few threads here on the '28+ days legal' ramifications, in some places the 'guest' can turn into a 'tenant' and then exercise a myriad of very abusive rights against the owner/landord/host.  

Mary, you come across as a gentle soul which by chance has come into direct conflict with one of the 'takers', who have no mercy.  It could have been worse.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Unfortunately, if Airbnb has not received payment they will not pay you.

They are a big, smart company and will try to collect on your  behalf.

However, they too can get scammed.

If you give them as much business as you say, they may give you something. But they are under no legal obligation.

You need to sue the guest or convince the guest to provide valid payment

Thanks. I’m just shocked and apalled. I just unlisted all of my five apartments and will consider listing them again if they pay me. Are there other people that have gone through this?

Are you saying you didn't get paid for the second month? I'm assuming you got paid for month 1 the day after she arrived. It is customary to get paid once per month for long term stays.

If you didn't get paid for month 1,  you would have received that email from Airbnb at the beginning of her stay. Did you just now read it?

With a long term stay, any cancellation will refund the guest for any nights over 30 days based on the day of cancellation. So you won't have earned the whole second month depending on when the cancellation was done. That being said, if she deleted her payment info before they tried to charge the balance due, you end up with nothing.

No. She is saying that she didn't get paid at all and that she did not receive that email after the check-in. She did receive an email after the guest left saying that Airbnb couldn't collect the payment.

I am going thru the same.

My long term guest just left early (her request) and I just Receive the same message. I’m livid; I guess I knew at some point I get the guest from out of the movie an receive the same message.  

a guest who booked one, but three came been trying to get paid for the extra boarders 4 days now. I will be verifying before the guest books or arrives on how many people will be with them. Never will I let another person in my house that are not on the booking. Its a pain to get your money and I dont think I'm getting  any of 308.00 

Adriana100
Level 10
Pitts, PA

Im afraid I dont understand. If they didn;t pay they are not confirmed. If they are not confirmed I wouldn;t send the details how to get in and I would have canceled per their instructions. I personally check if they paid airbnb so that such a situation won;t happen.

You should have known from day one, before she got to your house that she didnt pay. You shouldn't have accepted her, especially for such a long time.

@Adriana100I have encountered the case of unsuccessful payment collection by Airbnb. It could happen 3-4 days after the second month payment collection date for the longer than 28 days bookings. Therefore, for longer term bookings, a host may have to watch for Airbnb emails carefully. Otherwise, the host may not get paid for any days after first month.

Airbnb seems to often have issues collecting payments from longer terms guests. Longer term guests may have their bank account or credit card account closed, expired etc during their stay.

Wild-Trekkers0
Level 1
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe

I