prostitutes

Kelie0
Level 2
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica

prostitutes

2 guys booked house, 3 showed up.  i had him change reservation to 3.  he has broken house rules twice (no additional day guests without prior approval and no overnight guest).  have pictures of the prostitutes coming and going 3 am to 4:30 and 6:30.   How do I reach airbnb to tell them.  prostitutes in my area bring trouble and now they have my gate codes.  I'm a woman and live alone.  what can I do.

25 Replies 25
Kelie0
Level 2

Sorry, Lawrene 🙂

Ah, I understand, @Kelie0 . Still a worry while they are there if the gate codes given to the outside guests get passed along to others, but not a forever worry. 

Glad that's the case. Here's to Monday! 

Kelie0
Level 2

Just talked to guest - he was very embarrassed - or at least seemed to be.  He said they were very hungover - all sleeping at 5pm - said it would not happen again - I truly believe he had no clue how dangerous it is - or perhaps just didn't think about the rest of us who live here.  I'll get all codes changed and hope this will be the end of this.  In the mean time - I've alerted all neighbors and have my cameras all set to set off an alarm.  

First time using this forum - thank GOD I've not had this or any 'major' issues before.  Thank you.

Kelie

@Kelie0  I truly hope that this interaction has resolved your conflict with the guest, and that you now feel safe in your home until he's gone. Future hosts will appreciate it if you write an honest review.

Best case scenario is that you don't have a problem like this again, but realistically a situation like this might come up in the future. In your relationship with Airbnb you should be aware that they have no policy preventing a problematic guest from leaving a review, and that they have no capacity to protect you if a guest makes you feel unsafe. For your own protection, I strongly suggest that you have a network of trusted contacts established to help you on the hopefully rare occasions when you have to put your foot down.

Once again, it doesn't help your case to depict unregistered visitors in a demeaning way because you believe they are sex workers. And this is relevant to your review - if you accuse the guest of committing a crime, your review will probably be removed, and other hosts will not be able to benefit from it. If you happened to witness an exchange of sex for money in your surveillance, that's a police matter, but if law enforcement isn't involved, you truly have nothing to gain by portraying the unregistered guests as "prostitutes." If the situation truly is what you believe it to be, I can't imagine what people in your community could be more urgently in need of compassion than the women your guests have solicited. 

I would just say in the review they broke your rule regarding unregistered guests inside the apartment which created a safety risk. “For this reason, I feel this guest is better suited to properties with on-site security guard and patrol.” 

The Johnsons
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Kelie0 

"The problem is this guest is not responding to me and I don't want to lock them out - especially if it was a case of 'young & dumb' and had no clue how dangerous that activity is here - when you bring it home....
I could care less if they use prostitutes - oldest profession and all that.  I'm certainly not judging them"

It doesn't matter how old they are. They are still sex tourist. They will likely pass on the contact info to their other sex tourist friends. You could at least mention in your review that they broke you house rules and had local ladies stopping by at 3&5am, and wouldn't respond to your messages until late the next afternoon because they said they were hungover. That should at least help discourage other sex tourist from using the ABB platform. 

This happened to us. One prostitute soliciting single white men from England. My gardener pointed out there was a woman of the night who is well known in the area who had been visiting these guests and I realized the men coming were all from England, alone, typically 10-14 days and I had noticed that woman in my driveway with a carryon suitcase. I was naive enough to think “She’s friends with a lot of our UK guests!” Now when a person fits the male profile I just go over my strict no visitors policy (never mention prostitutes) but just have them acknowledge that this includes any visitors at all to the property. Sometimes guests are unclear about “number of guests”. Since the visitors are just visiting, whatever their purpose, they feel this doesn’t count as an extra guest. I have to be SO clear, no unregistered guests or visitors on the property, including local friends and family.

Local friends is a nice way of saying prostitutes!

The Johnsons
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Kelie0 

I'm sorry to see you had this experience.  I'm one of the Community Managers here in the Community Centre and I've sent the information you provided to the team. I will come back to you via DM when they update me on this. 

Thank you

@Kelie0 @Cornelia116 @James2566 @Alex7529 ...

we have a digital lock at our Airbnb. It can be used with a code, card, sticker, or a key chain. 

We decided the best solution for our guests is a key chain or a card, not a code bc they can give a code to other people (like your guests did) so think about this solution if you have it @Kelie0 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The process should be simple: 

1. You have a 'no guest' rule.

2. They brought in 'extra' people, so 'no bueno'

3. You want the guests out now (the real reason best to keep to yourself)

4. The most Airbnb can do and will do is cancel the reservation

5. If they do not leave then is trespassing. Police matter.

To me, in an effort not to make a federal case out of it, if they are leaving within a day or two, then do the less-disruptive of your life and your neighbors, and the minute they do leave change the codes (of course) and think of the methodology to prevent this situation happening again. Forget Airbnb, they are a booking agency, not local enforcers of the law.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Kelie0 ,  I guess Its only natural that the oldest profession a hundred centuries later is still a bee in the bloomers of modern day Inn Keepers (the second oldest profession!!!!).    It does seem like you should be rethinking your security plan if this type of thing is happening with any regularity in your neighborhood.   Airbnb is more like a remote civil authority than a practical crime deterrent, the folks your trying to keep out don't care about rules, cancelled stays or bad reviews.   Maybe you could raise your price and prerequisites for accepting a booking to thwart clients looking for a Romper suite.   

That said, packing heat should be a pretty solid response plan if things go south, hopefully you will never need to use it but keep it cleaned, lubricated  and keep up your range practice with it so if you do, your aim is true!      Stay safe, JR