quality sheets and towels

quality sheets and towels

being new and all, i have to ask...

i got waterproof mattress covers and pillow protectors. i got white cotton sheets.  i got white towels.  the protectors are great.

the cheap cotton sheets probably weren't cotton.  i found them on amazon with a lot of paid reviews.  the white towels are already starting to fall apart.  they were on serious sale with high ratings

i go to the dollar store and/or buy bulk individual servings of soaps, so i figure that's good.  but i'm having fits over the expense of crappy linens.

does anybody have recommendations on where to get good quality sheets and towels that last a long time and are inexpensive?  i know, right?

thanks

66 Replies 66
Regina0
Level 6
San Antonio, TX

Hello @Jim-And-Jeanne0 the worst sheets I've bought were from Amazon.  They were too thin.  So far the best that have held up are linen that I bought at Target.  

@Evelyn0 may have more suggestions.  She has 2 listings with high guest traffic.

So which brand did you buy from Target? I don't know much about bedding so this would be really helpful. Thanks.

Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

I get my sheet from Tuesday Morning. Which are deeply discounted and sometimes designer brands, which I have seen the same at Costco and Sam Club. Usually 400-600 thread count and the last wonderfully. I started ironing just the top band and pillowcases and they look fantastic on the bed.
Rick0
Level 6
Savannah, Georgia, United States

In my opinion, the best linens come from stores like Ross, TJMAXX, Marshalls, & Home Goods...they are almost always discounted, but look for sales & special closeouts!  I don't buy anything but 100% cotton.....Pay attention to the type of weave---there is sateen, pima, egyption cotton, flannel...& differing threadcounts!  I generally go for medium--something in the range of 300....& I prefer percale type sheets for a crisp look with few wrinkles..Pay attention to the brand you are buying...For me, personally, Ralph Lauren provides the best all cotton percale sheets...may cost a little more, but always come out looking great!

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I agree with Rick but in UK it's TK Max 

huge discounts on designer brands and I was surprised to find good quality bathroom floor mats at Primark for the £4.  To £6 mark they wash up like brand new each time

@Rick0 I put a cup (uk tablespoon) of bicarbonate of soda in with every white wash. It really helps to keep things white and doesn't have the yellowing effect bleach does over time. 

In the United States it would be one cup per load? Thank you

Rick0
Level 6
Savannah, Georgia, United States

Oh...almost forgot...towels, same places...experiment with different brands & check out the sizes...old standard bath size used to be at least 30 X 54--but a lot of brands are going smaller...& I don't insist on white bedding!  it gets stained by everything...looks dingy after many washings (& if you use chlorine bleach, it weakens the fabric)...I'll choose pastels & subtle patterns every time!!  I also provide dark washcloths for makeup removal...Otherwise you have ruined towels as well..

Great ideas here.

I've purchased less-expensive brand sheets and towels, only to have them fall apart after several washings so I'm also a fan of finding high quality cotton, luxury brand sheets on sale. When on a super budget, I've found the sheet sets made of t-shirt fabric (cotton) to be great. They are super soft and they don't wrinkle much. Speaking of wrinkle, when I am pressed for time and can't iron sheets, I found that Downey's spray on wrinkle-release works great.

To help save towels from make-up stains, I provide make-up cloths in a decorative tin (purchased at Target) on the bathroom counter.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

I supply separate dark washcloths AND makeup remover wipes in the (seemingly futile) hope that guests will not use the snowy white towels and washcloths to remove makeup.  I point this out to them during check-in, it features prominently in my House Rules but nothing I do or say seems to have any impact - they still use the white ones.

I've now come to accept that if a guest wears makeup, I'm probably going to be replacing washcloths.

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

How do you handle an otherwise nice guest who takes my lovely white towels to the gym every day, and turns them grey ,I don't want a row but should I buy a gym towel?

@Sara --
I would go out and buy him a couple of gym towels and tell him I am charging him for the toeels he messed up and for the new gym towels through the Resolution Center and for him to approve. Once he approves, he will get towels.

Sara (Level 10 in UK) -- We host a home where there are natural thermal baths nearby and have learned to keep a large set of beach towels on hand to preserve our regular towels.  The customer is alerted to the towel situation and they usually comply since the beach towels are attractive and colorful.  SM

Hi Sara,

I let my guests know on the house rule , that the towels are not to be taken out from the property or use for anything else than to dry then up after a shower. Our property is at the beach and I ask then to bring their own beach towels. I found that those that use makeup , have  make up remover on their personal bag