question about # of guests

Katharine19
Level 1
Scottsdale, AZ

question about # of guests

Hello,

Do you know what we as a host do if someone makes a reservation for 2 guests and then decides to add a third? Thanks

5 Replies 5
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Katharine19,

You message your guest that you're going to change their reservation to 3 people and that they must accept the change for it to take effec.

Then go to your listing page, click on "Your reservations" and find their reservation and click on the "Change or cancel" link for it. Then click on "Change reservation", change the number of guests and then click on "Submit alteration".

When the guest accepts the change it comes into effect otherwise it stays as areservation for 2 so you let only 2 people in.

The guest can also request the change in their trips section. In that case you'll have to accept it.

Steve.

Thank you!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Katharine19 In many instances Katharine a guest will think it doesn't matter how many guests they declare because the host does not set an extra guest fee and so they can bring as many as they like.

This is not your situation because you do set an extra guest fee after one guest, and, while not being a major increase, over 2-3 night stays for a group of four guests it will certainly make a sizeable difference, so you are probably going to find that there will be a percentage of guests who are going to try an chizel a bit off the bill by under declaring guest numbers.

If you strike resistance to this Katharine you can always state in the message stream with the guest that it is  really important that guest numbers be declared accurately because Airbnb will only offer their umbrella protection to hostings with declared guests, and as undeclared guests will not be covered this presents a substantial risk, and one you are not prepared to take!

Although technically this is not correct, it sounds logical to the guest and in almost all instances the guest will understand and comply!

I hope this helps you Katharine.

Cheers.....Rob

very helpful, thank you

Tom-and-Carina0
Level 6
North Las Vegas, NV

I just send the change request. If they tell me in advance. If they show up i message I'm sending one and then send it and request name and age etc. I let them know no unregistered  guests and that they are breaking rules.