"Affairbnb"-- is this really a thing?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

"Affairbnb"-- is this really a thing?

I was telling  a workmate about our cottage and that its listed o Airbnb. He said "oh you mean Affairbnb? That's what people call it because they rent those now instead of hotels. " He went on to explain that he knew two people who were using Airbnb to hook up as they cheated on their partners, and told me to look out for the signs-- no signing the guest book or review, one arriving first and the other much later and leaving at a different time, etc. When I shared this with my husband he said he wasn't surprised and mentioned a couple who had already stayed with us who he was sure doing this very thing. 

So is this common? Have you noticed it in your own spaces? 

27 Replies 27
Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Yes, it's common.

But there is  "cure" about it-the price.

In the deep, dark past, when there was no Airbnb and Booking.com, when there was even no mobile internet, it was a primary business for almost all 1-star hotels, hostels, motels, etc.

Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

@Laura2592I am quite sure there is a lot of truth to Affairbnb. 🙂  I am pretty sure my cabin has hosted a few affairs.  As long as they mind house rules and are good guests, it is their own business as to what brings them to rent from me. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  I'm quite sure many guests use Airbnb for that purpose. Not accepting 1 night bookings is one way to avoid it, but like Susan said, I can't imagine why it would be any of a host's business as long as the guests behave responsibly.

@Laura2592  I'm sure plenty of affairs happen in Airbnb properties, but it doesn't seem to have anything to offer for those who are cheating and trying to cover their tracks. You can be anonymous in a hotel and pay cash, but with an Airbnb you have a public profile with a review, and a bank transaction record. Much easier for a suspicious spouse to find. 

In other words ..hotels and motels probably have a far higher percentage of this kind of assignation than Airbnb's do. But hotel workers are far beyond the capacity to be scandalized by it.

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Laura2592  Probably. But its none of my business. But it sounds like your co-worker may have a story of his own to share....

@Emily487my thoughts exactly. He sure seemed to know a lot about how to spot such activity. 

Michelle-And-Michael0
Level 10
Wollongong, Australia

We've certainly had a couple of bookings that suggested that. 

One in particular was from out of town and, after staying once, implied he would love to make a regular booking for 1 night midweek, every week. That's when we changed our listing to a 2 night minimum. 

We get quite a few midweek multiple night bookings.... if he became a regular and booked a single night every week, that would be the end to that.

We already had weekends at a 2 night minimum. So the change is much better as far as we are concerned.

Agreed. We moved to a 2-night minimum and it decreased the wear and tear on the apartment as well. People want to "hook up" can do it at a hotel. Haven't needed to use the "underwear" tongs in a long while.

Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

I've definitely had a couple of these, including the classic turning up separately, only one out of two people actually sleeping over after a couple of hours 'relaxing time'; and no reviews. 

I don't mind as long as they're polite, clean and pay the bills. I'm not the affair police, after all. 

Patti4
Level 8
Freeville, NY

Yes I believe it is a thing.  I had a booking where the man and the woman arrived in separate vehicles .  The woman did not look like the one he was pictured with in his profile photo. Another time a local guy wanted to book my place and said  he wanted  privacy with his girlfriend. I declined that reservation because he he admitted to using a fake name on his profile.. I don’t allow that!

Randall8
Level 2
Columbia, MO

There have been a few occasions when I suspected the couple were married to others and using the listing as a place to rendezvous.  They were very careful, too, leaving no trace of anything behind that might reveal circumstances of their affair.  It was kind of fascinating as we attempted to get to know them on a personal basis.  Questions about security and privacy continued even after the stay when in Private Feedback I was asked about others inquiring and could there be even an accidental reveal to their identity!  

Randall
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

oh gosh, just because two people arrive separately means diddly squat.

Think back to your own courtship days, it's not uncommon for two individuals to arrive separately because they live in different locations.

Not everyone lives together and perhaps one of them lives in a different region & it's the only quality time they get to catch up and bond in whatever way.

Is it really anyone else's right to question what 2 people are doing?

One must be careful what one says and assumes and does as could be in trouble for been perceived as a voyeur which is a Criminal offence.

@Laura2592 @Randall8 @Patti4 @Bryan10 @Anonymous @Emily487 @Susan1404 @Dimitar27 @Sarah977 

Is it?

@Helen427I don't think anyone is a voyeur in this thread. I was just a little shocked to hear that Airbnb is a very popular choice for those who may be cheating. I guess I am naïve but I just never gave that any thought. 

@Laura2592I'm sure there aren't however one must err on the side of caution where ever we are.

They are clamping down on voyeurism & similar such behaviour in some countries with all the more recently updated laws, some of which were long overdue.

Unfortunately there's some slightly different people out there.