"Extra Guest fee" is not being charged by Airbnb to the guests

John-and-Justy0
Level 2
Culloden, Canada

"Extra Guest fee" is not being charged by Airbnb to the guests

We have an apartment in our home that we rent out short-term and we have an extra charge (set at the minimum of $7 per person) for any guests over 2 who book with us. We charge this because we provide breakfast and also set up an airmattress for guests 3&4, so there is a bit more work involved. This system has been working very well and haven't had any issues, until now.

Our last two bookings (both booked this week) that should have extra charge applied, Airbnb is only charging the guests the flat rate which is all we get then. When we contacted Airbnb, they said that it is a result of the 10% cancelation discount that we offer, but the math doesn't add up. 

Is anyone else experiencing this, and if so, how did you fix it?

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@John-and-Justy0 

The 10% is probably discounted from the main price (for up to 2 guests)

(it is not possible to test, as your listings do not have dates available).

Thank you for your reply. Can you check this listing? We have several ads but this is the one I'm having trouble with: https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/25911962?wl_source=list&wl_id=367625140&role=wishlist_owner&adults=1&chi...

We charge $140 a night, plus $7 for any extra guest over 2, up to 4. 

For four guests, it should come to $154 and with a 10% discount it would be $138.60 a night. However, it says my pay is $140 (higher then the rate with 10% discount), which is what it should be for 1 or 2 guests. 

@John-and-Justy0 I'm not seeing a 10% discount when I try and book: all I get is the $140 if I put in 2 guests, or $154 if I put in 4. I don't even see the option of making it non-cancellable for a 10% discount. Are you sure that's set up?

Why don't you try it yourself? Open an incognito browser window and go through the booking steps and see what comes up.

@John-and-Justy0 P.S. your place is so, so nice. I love it. I've always wanted an old converted church.

Thanks so much! ❤️

Thanks for your reply! I did manage to straighten it out with Airbnb and apparently they were just giving me a bonus $1.40?? Ah well, I have just decided to turn off the 10% discount option so that I don't run into this in the future. I really appreciate you checking into it for me!

Cheryl481
Level 1
Gaylord, MI

Verify that the "Details" is correct, # of guests, extra guest charge etc. BEFORE.  Asap or as many days in advance as possible.  You can update # of guests and amount for their approval.  No money, no extra bed/linens.  I hide rollaway in a closet, extra linens are elsewhere.  Argh, whole house rentals ppl often bring a couple extra... or 10 additional toddlers.  NOT COOL!!!

Yikes! That sounds frustrating! We have never had that many extra show up for a booking before, but I like your idea to just take away the extra ammenities.