"Guest no longer needs accommodations"

Jacob48
Level 2
Sublette, KS

"Guest no longer needs accommodations"

I had a guest request to book, and before I responded I got a message that said "Update from Airbnb: Guest no lnder needs accommodations for these dates". I messaged the guest twice, with no response. I accepted the reservation to keep my response rating up. The reservation was on my calendar. I sent another message asking them to cancel if they don't plan on coming. Still no response. Then they showed up the evening of their reservation. They were nice guests, I had no issue. My question is, do I give them a negative communication rating? I don't quite understand the automated message of "Update from Airbnb". So I don't know if the guests initiated that, or if its a glitch. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Jake

8 Replies 8
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Jacob48

Did you get paid?

David
Jacob48
Level 2
Sublette, KS

I did get paid. Everything worked out fine... I'm most curious to know if this was a mistake on the guests part or not. They will not be getting a good rating on communication, as they didn't respond to anything. But I was just curious if anyone else had this issue before I rate them, just to make sure there isn't anything I'm missing.

@Jacob48

Personally I would be laying the blame at AirBnB feet - clearly there was a problem with the platform. It happens - and what you don't know is  whether your emails even got through to them. They might be thinking your communication was bad.

I wouldn't mark them down as the picture is too murky

@Jacob48 that is somewhat strange to get that notification, but it sounds like you handled it correctly!

I wouldn't necessarily down-rate the guest, because really this would have been a pretty normal booking except for that weird notification you received from AirBnB.

Maybe contact AirBnB and ask what was up with the notification? I would like to learn what it was supposed to have meant.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Jacob48, there are two ways to explain that email from Airbnb: either a glitch (nobody clicked anything but sh** happened), or the guest withdrew the request, you got that email, but the system didn't cancel his inquiry/request, which you approved.

Talking about Communication rating for them - low, low, very low - I've had those kinds of guests. If not tamed by hosts, will grow into demanding monsters coming early or very late, not leaving on time, not reading house rules. 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Jacob48
Level 2
Sublette, KS

Thanks everyone! I'm going to contact Airbnb and see what they have to say. Appreciate your help. 

What was the outcome?

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I would have brought it with the guests, in the lightest of tone, "How odd, but this happened when you booked, did you happen to get any of my messages?", and perhaps they could have thrown some light on the subject. Again just out of curiosity.

Because it sounds like such a 'strange' glitch, I would not waste two nano-seconds calling Airbnb, because in all likelihood you would be talking to someone who wouldn't have a blessed clue how to go through the log records and determine what indeed happened.