"I want to pay you half price off of the platform"

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

"I want to pay you half price off of the platform"

Every day brings a new adventure! I got an inquiry from a guest with a very long detailed email on their bio/interests which 1) requested days that are already booked and 3) wanted to pay me half of my already low nightly rate "off of the platform." The guest claimed a very lucrative profession but said that was all they could afford. This wasn't even a consideration as the days are blocked but wow! Has anyone had this sort of inquiry? I would of course not entertain this for a second. It looked like a legit proflle with other reviews. The inquiry read a bit like I should be honored to host this individual with a long list of professional and personal accomplishments (and happy to do so at half price....)

20 Replies 20
Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

We have had a few inquiring guests as to pay cash or to lower the price & I just make it clear that we only accept booking paid off airbnb & prices are what they are. Take it or leave it 🙂

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I think part of the problem is the myriad of articles out there with titles such as “Tips for booking your vacation stay”, where the number 1 tip is to haggle the price.  Here’s an example, but there are thousands more:

https://www.whereverwriter.com/airbnb-tips-save-money/

Makes me seethe every time.

You are absolutley right @Pat271 and I'm so glad you said so!

I'm not for a second condoning this behaviour, but, I do think if we stop and think about it, there's  often (not always),a valid reason for it a lot of the time that isn't dark and subversive.

I also recently read an airbnb guest/traveller forum where the general thrust of the advice was, "did you realise hosts are willing to accept up 15% less than you are actually charged, because airbnb adds on 15% to their fee"  And given that airbnb is doing nothing at all to educate guests about it's points of difference with other platforms, it's beginning to look more and more like a hotel booking platform.  I'ts pretty much common knowledge that  most hotels, especially the smaller independent ones,  will give you a cheaper rate if you approach them directly - indeed we are ENCOURAGED  to approach them directly as the money then stays in the economy of  country of origin.  I can see why a lot of guests think it's perfectly acceptable to try their luck this way.      

Although an experienced airbnber should know better - really no excuse for that. 

I'm always astounded that people fail to think twice to use the platform to suggest cheating the platform - leaving a lovely trail of evidence.  What crosses their mind? Or maybe it doesn't - just like individuals who post every intimate detail of their lives on social media and then scream privacy violation.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I would not be as uncomfortable dealing with guests who ask for discounts, had I not noticed that the guests who do that tend to be difficult guests in general.  Not all of them are difficult (in fact, I once asked for and received a discount myself because I was staying 23 days, and I’m fairly sure I’m not a difficult guest), but attempting to identify the ones who will not be difficult is a crap shoot.

I’ve also noticed a different sort of guest when I offer last-minute discounts as a host.  A common booking for those discounted slots is 6-people with 2 infants paying $20 each, who end up being helpless, demanding, and very, very messy.  Not to mention, other guests booked around that time start sending me messages wanting to know why they can’t have the same discount.  

For these reasons, I’ve stopped offering last-minute discounts.  I’ve also reduced my max guest count to 4.  I’m even thinking about reducing my max stay to 7 days.  Maybe I should stop hosting altogether.  Just kidding. 😏

I've also noticed guests asking for discounts ALOT lately. I used to get them every now and then. This week almost half of them want discounts and I'm already the cheapest spot in town. I wont host them. When I have done it in the past I do find that they are bad guests and tent to leave bad reviews about value. 

This is interesting.  I currently have a guest that asked for a discount for being a returning guest.  I didn't think it was unreasonable and it kept the place rented - though they did ask for longer than 30 days and that is my limit. 

Is it not customary to provide a discount for returning guests?