"Levels"?

C-C0
Level 10
Memphis, TN

"Levels"?

How can you tell what level you are & why are there levels?
27 Replies 27
Julia0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom
Graeme1
Level 3
Burleigh Heads, Australia

I was not allowed by the system to access the site that you posted the link to, so I am unable to comment further in relation to that side of things.

Such is life!

"Access denied".

Obviously not important enough. Boo-hoo! Is there something wrong with me 😞 ???

PS  I don't really expect a reply... after all, we have a rich and enjoyable life beyond airbnb.

Lol

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

@C-C0

HEre's what I wrote in another post about levels, and Helga replied me:

In the old groups we didnt' need level indicators, because everyone who was active on the groups, knew not only who the regular contributors were, but also their personalities and the kinds of things they posted.  THose who were new, knew they were new and so did the regulars know they were new. I think that is preferable, actually.  To have a community where people just get to know each other in the community, without having artificial level indicators.  

I see the point of @Till & Jutta about how it is helpful for those asking a question to see the amount of experience of those answering, but the quality and thoughtfulness of answers is also indicative of the amount of experience, and I think that is actually preferable, to be able to gauge someone's experience level just by the content of their reply.  In fact, it's better for someone to assess the value of a cerain reply, just by its content, not by the "level" of the person replying.   It's not going to necessarily be true that someone with a higher "level" gives a better reply.  And after all, one gains hosting experience and wisdom, by actual life experience, but with regard to the levels on these groups, you can gain levels just by posting stuff -- which may or may not be useful,  or quality content.  As @Helga astutely indicates, one could go up in "levels" here on the groups, but not actually be a host who has ever had any guests book your place.  So the level indicator most definitely is not correlated with actual hosting experience, or really any real life experience at all-- it's solely a function of number of posts/replies/initial threads/likes etc.  

I dont' know the details but I think the levels are calculated not only by one's number of posts, but also by the replies to one's posts and perhaps the "likes" on one's posts, etc.  So, when a group user starts many threads, and thus has many replies to those threads, their "level" could potentially climb even when they are off on vacation somewhere, not doing any posting at all, because people are still replying to their posts.  

I dont' exactly feel comfortable being the highest level person currently on here.  IT attracts attention and perhaps envy and resentment.  I like being helpful, but my motivation to be helpful, is to build hosting skills and knowledge among hosts, and to make certain bad experiences/learning mistakes that I had with renters in the past, be used for a good purpose now, to benefit others.    My motivation to be helpful is not to "get stuff", and that is the sense that the level indicators introduce.  Now, one can potentially be motivated to participate not to be helpful or to build community, but to rocket oneself to level stardom.   Icky.  Also I certainly don't like being a person others resent or envy, like Shannon so honestly and directly responding to the levels saying,  "I'm 1 and you are 7 (or 8)....what's up with that???!"  

.  I think we should all have the option to make our level invisible, or hidden, so that others couldn't see it.  

Helga
Helga
Level 4
Paris, Île-de-France, France

Great post, Deborah, you say that very clearly ! I'd opt for invisible levels on the spot.

- Besides, did you think about the responsability? What happens if a level 9 is a bit tipsy or in a funny mood and makes a joke? Some naive soul might follow that to the letter...

It reminds me of Scientology-speak.   I like the concept, just not nuts about the name "levels"

Great question, CC.  I have only just this minute joined this "community center" think, and I guess I'm just posting this comment to see where it goes, and whether I even have a "level".  Or a photo.

I have only just entered this new community. It will be awhile for me to get used to it. While I was very active on the old forums, not sure about this yet.

Gwyneth0
Level 2
Albuquerque, NM

you're only cool if you're level two 😉

Coach-Paul0
Level 1
Palatine, IL

Hi - all!

Please allow me to chime (ping) and add my perspective.

In the online & phone-app business the "Levels" are part of what is generally refered to as "Gamification" = "the application of typical elements of game playing (e.g., point scoring, competition with others, rules of play, ... levels..., etc.) to other areas of activity, typically as a marketing technique to encourage engagement with a product or service."  This is a current up-and-coming fad sweeping online business.  Look forward (like it or not) to more such foibles in our business.

Thanks, that's exactly why this levelthing sucks.

Who's got time (interest, energy, etc.) to continually have to 'reach out' to THE COMMUNITY to get answers to the simplest of questions to say nothing of more complicated concerns? 

@Sondra0 I have been trolling the CC for my own edification. I post now and then, not for moving up some ladder, but because I find it so interesting. I may become a less frequent visitor, but I learn something helpful every time I log in.

Victoria110
Level 5
Oakland, CA

Regarding levels, why in the world would Airbnb make this strange and subjective  judgment of people who post in the community? Feels inappropriate. Don't get it. 

Victoria110
Level 5
Oakland, CA

Airbnb is losing it's soul. 

Instead of encouraging hosts to support each other as it has done in the past,  the  use of the word / concept of leveling is suggesting  competition. 

I'm just sad about the loss of the personal in the company... seems in many ways Airbnb is no longer is interested in the shared humaness of experience ( which in turn helped support people) but  has caved to the need to be huge and want of billions. The story of everything it seems. Wonder when they'll sell to Amazon?