"More people might stay....not sure yet"

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

"More people might stay....not sure yet"

Increasingly I am getting requests which specify one person booking but other guests may stay over during the reservation. I just deny these with a "come back when you have finalized your guest count" and a polite reiteration of our house rules concerning occupancy. I have gotten some push back which is always a red flag and ensures I won't book that guest but a few people have just selected different dates and entered the same request. 

I wonder why this is a sticking point with some guests: to nail down the actual number on a reservation. We are unable to host fluidly changing reservations with different people staying each night because its too much of a risk for our property and insurance coverage. Is there a perception out there that when you rent an Airbnb space you can bring as many people as you want? It seems very common.

4 Replies 4
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Laura2592  There does seem to be that perception. It's definitely the biggest thorn in my side these days. And people seem to think it's just fine to have as many extra guests as they want as long as they stick to our occupancy of 5 for those sleeping over. I am seriously so tired of dealing with this. And/or dealing with the 'surprise!' expectations of extra guests after someone's booked. I actually just had a booked couple send me a message asking how much notice I need if about 6 of their friends come to hang out, and 'a few' may stay the night, but "we'll be sure to keep to the limit of 5 for sleepers". Didn't even occur to them to ask if it would be ok...just expecting it will be fine. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Funny how it never occurs to these people that if they have an extra 6 people hanging out all day, they are using your utilities, toilet paper, soap, dirtying towels, probably helping themselves to the coffee and tea and whatever other goodies you provide, and this is all supposed to be on your dime? 

I do have a friend who attends a family reunion once every few years, which happens in a different part of the world each time. One of the group always does the bookings and they book big places that sleep 20 or more. The guy who does the bookings always talks to the host to let them know they can't give an exact guest count, because some people say they'll come, but then can't make it, and some who say they can't make it do end up coming. Some show up for only a couple of days, some stay the entire week. But as far as I'm aware, these are giant villas and they don't charge by the guest, but for the whole place and they aren't at all cheap.

@Sarah977 Exactly! I find it really irritating that people can't figure this out.

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

I state maximum 4 guests as I have 2 bedrooms. I state no more than 2 additional visitors ( coming fir dinner?).bit now during Covid I state no additional visitors. I’m just not comfortable with more people in the house