"Smart ARbnb" concept

"Smart ARbnb" concept

Dear Hosts,
I am Tomas, an Industrial design student from the Netherlands. Currently, I am doing a project where I combine Augmented reality, Airbnb, and smart home systems. I would really appreciate it if you could give me some feedback about the concept!

All negative and positive thoughts are really valuable!
Here you can visit the project website: https://smartarbnb.com/

Thank you very much for your thoughts and opinions!

18 Replies 18
Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

Hi @Tomas277 , Jet-Stones  Technology is great when its both powerful and easy to use but I prefer The Kiss System (Keep It Simple Stupid) for Bearpath Lodging.  I've repaired, designed and installed whole home multi media systems for a couple decades, they can be a big pain for owners that can't make them work as desired even if they work as designed.  Short Term Rental guests probably don't have the time nor patience to learn the ins and outs of Home automation/ augmentation.   I do think the technology is getting more reliable and less complex to install and operate but still not ready for JQ Public to wrestle with on vacation.   Good luck with your project, stay well, JR

@Melodie-And-John0  Judging by how my millennial guests couldn't manage the fireplace remote, I have to agree with you, John!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

If I were a guest and encountered a home where things had to be run by "smart" tech, I would be really displeased. I don't need a learning curve or trying to figure out how all this technology works when I came to relax. I'm quite capable of walking over to a light switch with a dimmer on it and turning it down manually.

If it were just a matter of optional things I could choose to use or not, that's fine, but I would hate a house where I had to connect to some app or figure out how it all works for everyday things that every uses.

@Tomas277

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

I admire people who have smart products and homes that are wired to the nth degree.  However, I have to say that I would not be able to get on board with this idea.  If I were a guest, I would not want to download an app to my phone, nor would I want a guest in my home to have to do so either.  My guests find it hard enough to successfully turn on the Cable TV and dial the nest thermostat to their desired temperature.