"Take action: the wifi speed will be removed from your listing"

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

"Take action: the wifi speed will be removed from your listing"

The above subject-line showed up from Airbnb on my email this morning. 

Message is this :-

"

The wifi speed test tool is here

On November 4, we will remove the manually-entered wifi speed from listings. You can now use the wifi tool to verify and highlight your wifi speed to guests. Wifi is currently one of the top-searched amenities and the easy-to-use tool is right in our app. If you have multiple listings, make sure you update each of them.

"

I have manually input my wifi speed because every device that connects via wifi will give a different result, and I picked a number based on an older device, not my own, that I think everyone should be able to meet or exceed.

Under-promise, over-deliver.   I really don't want to use either my cell phone or my geriatric laptop/tablet to update the speed. 

I hope that field isn't permanently blocked to manual input.  I really have enough on my plate, right now, without having to deal with this kind of thing.

28 Replies 28

@Sarah977  Agree.  Our internet speed is fast, over 100 mbps, but who is to say if the guest comes with 4 phones and 4 laptops and everyone plugs in at the same time....what speed they might get.  I am certainly not going to advertise any speed and then get complaints about it.

@Mark116  I've set a limit of 5 guest devices. I work from home, and they would kill my performance if they were all on at once, streaming video. 

I mention my wifi upgrade in my listing information - I may just put a generic note in there about  "average speeds" with the same kind of wishy washy legal speak that the providers use  (may experience speeds up to....depending on....different devices experience....ymmv....etc etc)

Two things then - firstly, if anyone asks about the speed I will know they didn't read the listing information, and, secondly,  it's then right in the listing description in case of a complaint. 

@Sarah977 “This is just the perfect set-up for guests to file for full refunds, because the internet speed wasn't what it said.”

Yup. Brings to mind this post, 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/50-refund-to-guest-for-quot-slow-wifi-quot-Hosts-be-warn...

@Michelle53 @Mark116 

@Colleen253   I just had a guest unplug the plug clearly labeled "wifi - do not unplug".   I could see from my management screen that the satellite was offline, but I could also see that the guest's phone was automatically redirected to the other satellite, so didn't experience a lapse in service.  That other one is in my office - no access by guest. 

But I have plenty of open outlets in the space. What would possess someone to unplug the dedicated wifi satellite plug ?   

There is just no protection from some people. 

@Michelle53 “There is just no protection from some people”. 

Right, and there is just no protection from Airbnb either.

Do not use the tool as you will be committed to providing your advertised speed. 

There are easily a dozen things you have no control over that affect what speed a guest can get and all of it is easily manipulated.  Never give a guest an excuse to challenge you for a partial discount. 

You "provide WiFI and Internet".  That is it. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I got the e-mail from Airbnb and simply ignored it after skimming over it as I do most things I read nowadays. My place offers 'High Speed' internet, let the guests imagine what that is.

I think this is what I will do, too. 

Chris1564
Level 2
Tampa, FL

This feature has not come up on our listings yet.  Not sure how they would implement it since no staff are on-site to run a test.   Also, if Airbnb is running the test and displaying the information received by their test, are they finaancially responsible for inaccuracies resulting in refunds?  Seems like a feature they will end eventually.

Chris-Bnb Pro Host
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Chris1564 you have to run the test on a phone whilst connected to your listing. The speed is then shown on your listing but only when viewed on the app.

I understand but we manage properties remotely so running a speed test wouldn't provide any information on our property's wifi.  Seems like a feature that will be short-lived

Chris-Bnb Pro Host

@Chris1564 Ah well then I guess until you visit the properties and do the test you won't be able to display an internet speed. I don't see Airbnb getting rid of this feature as many guests    have been requesting it. I wonder if it will be used even more and become a search filter when guests are looking for places to stay.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

More stupidity.  I wonder how many "professional companies" that list with AirBnB are going to take the time to visit each of their listings and run the test.  NONE.  My ISP charges me for a particular service rate and speed, so that speed is what I will list, IF I list anything at all.

Kimberly607
Level 2
New Berlin, WI

I don't use that test tool. We had slow internet and weren't able to add more home controlled devices so we contacted this company and no longer have issues and if we do, they handle it all. Their system makes sure guests get a fast connection with unlimited devices but they prioritize my building controls so there isn't a failure.  

https://www.lumoswifi.com/friends/hospitality/