"The hosting Life" at airbnb

Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

"The hosting Life" at airbnb

Our brains are wired to care, to be generous and be compassionate, and the few guests who disregard the all the rules and have never learned to be civil.

communication or the lack of it is 100% in your hands. 

use the Airbnb App only.

SMS all through the app the Guest will get the message quickly.
This medium is the reason I have at least 2-3 emails before I commit to hosting that party.

the next quote I found on the net.

Once a company reaches a certain size, goes public, and the founders hand over the executive level reigns to new picks by the board of directors, leadership officially ENDS.

And so does the help desk along with Airbnb pledge to hosts.

Being your own boss means you pick the guests and learn from the CC and other hosts experiences.

This post is not supposed to be negative. I just wanted to post something not depressing.

and Mabey me helps some new host deal with the bull **bleep**.

16 Replies 16
Jim-and-Marcia0
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Bruce43    I appreciate your observations!

Our last guests had four stellar recommendations from other hosts. We had communicated well through the Airbnb message system too, prior and during their stay. I greeted them in person and oriented them to the house. They were a family of four (mom, dad, daughter, son) staying in our three bedroom "entire house" rental for four nights. A very sweet family.

It was not until checkout that we discovered the peculiar ways this family did things.

1. They slept on top of the bedspreads, not between the sheets. So instead of needing to just wash/dry sheets, we had to launder extra blankets and all three bedspreads too. They also pulled the warm winter blankets out of the closets. Our summer weather temperature was 80-90f (27-32c) this week. They could have slept between cool cotton sheets with a lightweight cotton blanket and lightweight bedspread over them. Instead they slept on top of the bedspread with medium blankets and heavyweight comforters over them. Then they told us what they did, so we would know the sheets were still intact for the next guests!

2. Even though we provide makeup cleaning wipes and require such in our house rules, the teenage daughter chose to clean her foundation makeup off with a white cotton wash cloth. Her mother tried to clean the foundation makeup off of the washcloth, and didn't succeed. Neither could I. A washcloth is a minor casualty. However, after their departure, we discovered the same color foundation makeup in several obvious places on the white cotton bedspread.  I'm taking the white cotton bedspread to the cleaners to see what they can do. I'm worried the stains won't come out.

3. We show our guests how we recycle and include this request in our house rules and orientation manual. These guests managed to fill two 32gal trash bins during their stay and of course the recyclable items were mixed in with the garbage. Also, they had gone grocery shopping while they were there and threw out an amazing amount of unopened food, still in the original packages, plus left even more in the refrigerator. No wonder she asked me "What day does your garbage get picked up?"

4. Our house rules are clear that this is a strictly "no smoking" place, inside or outside. During their stay I stopped by to drop off some tourist information about beach excursions. The mother was sitting on the street curb smoking a cigarette and talking on her cell phone. I quickly handed her the information sheet and was on my way. So she didn't actually smoke in or on the property. But in the garbage there were two empty cigarette packages and some cigarette butts that caused enough of an odor that I quickly took them outside and turned on the house exhaust fans. The odor disipated quickly.  Hmmm. I never said no smokers, only no smoking.

5. The mother decided to "clean" the entire house before their departure, including: Mopping our hardwood floors, which we treat very carefully; Washing towels and putting them in the dryer, which set some stains; Soaking the makeup stained washcloth in bleach (didn't work); and "tidying" up to some extent. When I and my assistant came to clean the house, we found all of the supplies in our cleaning cupboards in disarray. She had gotten into everything! But the house still needed a thorough cleaning. What usually takes 2 people two hours to clean, took twice as long. So instead of turning the place in two hours with my assistant and I working together, it took four.... that's 8 hours of labor!

6. We also found the items in the bathroom cabinet moved around and left in peculiar places. But the dishes in the kitchen were all in their rightful spots, which was surprising since they did use the kitchen to cook meals and dine at home.

So, even kind and well intentioned guests, with great reviews, can cause some concern. I used the Airbnb message system to followup with the guest about what had happened with the white cotton bedspread, so I would have a record in case the bedspread can't be saved and to leave open better chances for us to be reimbursed for its cleaning or replacement through the resolution center. She replied with an apology and said she would talk with her daughter about it, but did so from the hospital where her son was being treated for a seizure. So my compassionate heart strings are being pulled. Her son has autism and here's mom trying her best to juggle life and care for her son, while I'm worried about my bedspread. That sure puts things into perspective for me. 

@Jim-and-Marcia0 that was an excellent post.It shows how an empathic host should be.I prefer couples with young kids.

As parents tend to be multitasking all day it like plug and play

As far teen girls.....I raised 2 of my own.

I mess up wash towels all the time.

My wife seems to have OCD over them

I had a guest this winter ask me why there weren't blankets.

Told him he slept on them not under.

And there were three more in the closet.

Smartphones have turned us into cyborgs.

Sometimes I find hosting fun

But I believe my days are counting down as a host.

And rent it yearly to a student.

@Jim-and-Marcia0 @Bruce43 Funny, I thought I was imagining things! Upon cleaning my Airbnb, I was confused to find that my elderly Chinese guests had NOT slept between the sheets. It looked like they had slept on top of the bed SPREAD and blanket. But what left me in total confusion was to find one used bath towel and one hand towel used by  ( a younger couple and 2 parents) 4 adults and one child for 5 days!!! There were plenty of towels left on the shelf. In fact, I had left a set of towels tied with a ribbon on each bed for 5 people, but they had not been used! Maybe they brought their own personal towels?!?  Are they afraid to use strangers towels? Were they trying to save water or extra work for me? They were very happy with their stay here.  Any explanation? 

@Welcome0, yes I had that too, some guests prefer to bring there own towels own soap own planket... nothing to worry 🙂

I love the tags! pickles....spacemen

Now that we're being forced to use Instant Book, we've stopped with any of the original AirBnB "feels" and are now in it for the money. We try to communicate with the customers before they arrive and we greet them and give them a mini tour explaining anything weird or any super important rules, but they do themselves no matter what. All we can do is leave appropriate feedback. It used to be about 1 out of 5 guests was a bit meh, but now we hope for 1 out of 5 guests to be great. We just raised our rates, charge a cleaning fee, do our best, and take the cash.

@Todd-and-Reese0 I found adding the cleaning fee to my base price work out great for me.

some guests feel why clean if we pay for a maid to clean.

(my wife and I are the maids)

instant booking never worked out for me after one month i ended that option.

we live in a world today that is quite different from a few short years ago. 

I make it a point to have a few messages sent to my guest to get an understanding what they are looking for.

and what there is in the house.

everything is supplied as far as enough food and snacks, espresso, all kinds of tea and spices etc.

still, guests ask me all the questions I already have posted.

about the tags, sometimes the herbs have an effect on me 🙂

we saved 7000 dollars this season on the listing and we are off to London and the south for 3 weeks starting on the 30th of August.

its a present for my wife who is an amazing woman.

its called Sabrina's bucket list tour 2017.

the break from hosting will be wonderful.

I booked two Airbnb flats and a week in a totally English manor house in Bradford on Avon

Last week we left open to the wind.

btw you are forced to use IB?

is that for a good position to see your listing?

just wondering.

@Bruce43  We are in a large city (now over 1 million) - Denver, CO - and if there are over 300 AirBnB listings you will be on the last pages if you do not have IB on. They automatically toggle the searches to IB on and the customer has to toggle it off to see listings that don't offer it. When they switched to this our bookings stopped. Once we turned on IB, we were consistently booked again. We talked about it to great lengths and came up with strategies to try to make it awesome, but, like you said, most guests book via their phone and don't read the listing details. They see a shiny photo and they click. So, we try to get the info out via messages and the initial greet and tour and hope it sticks.

Nancy67
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Alas @Bruce, I have suffered a crushing blow. I crossed the threshold into 98% 5-Star rated world just last Friday, only to be  dropped on my ass and busted back to 97% land by a woman who clearly didn’t read the description of my Airstream.

It will take me 50 more 5-stars to go back up now, because the new, energy star A/C unit in my 40-year old, 184 square foot Tylenol shaped aluminum tube tent, went off and on too many times during the night, when the heat index reached 94% humidity, 108 degrees and down to a chilly 94 degrees the evening of her stay.

Uhhhhh-- I could vomit. Like you this is my full time job (not a side hustle) and we go to extraordinary lengths to ensure all aspects of a guests comfort, safety and well-being while they are in our care.

We don’t go out hunting these guests, they choose us, and though I take care to mention in the messaging system, going back and reading the listing completely to make sure they are good with “glamping” to newbies, it is unfortunate they can sully my reputation, merely because they were remiss in reading the details.

It's a bit like being bent onordering a delectable, truely classic French meal, then complaining because it was too rich.

I will mourn this for weeks.

@Nancy67  achieving your standards you are at 100%.

And your reviews are fantastic.  I mentioned before I lived in Charleston from 79-83.

The air stream probably could use a roof over it in summer.

The friendliest people live in Charleston.   I worked at Fox music when it was on king st.

Ps, nobody looks at your stats, and nobody reads more than six lines in your listing.

I host on the side im still working for another 1.6 years.

And if I want to host stress-free it is up to me.

im lucky as my listing is in a tourist location.

And I don't need IB 

have a good weekend!

Sharion0
Level 9
Santa Rosa, CA

I received a last minute booking last night for a one night booking today. I so wanted a break from hosting ( I'm on a 90 day streak, I'm tired and cranky), but I forgot to block my calendar. So what happens...the guest showed up a few minutes ago, tells me he's been in the emergency room all day, he has a virus!!! I'm so pi$$ed! What's he doing now? He's in the bathroom throwing up...and I mean REALLY throwing up! What can I do? Pretty much nothing...I feel like he should have gone to a motel knowing full well he's sick and contageous...believe me when I tell you he received one seriously dirty look from me when he told me how sick he is...I'm just ranting...why oh why didn't I remeber to block tonight:( Tommorrow I'll spend all day cleaning out the room...you can bet he's going to get a really lousy review from me, what absolute arrogance, feeling completely free to come to a strangers home and infect the whole home. Just a rant:)  

Wow! I'm sorry to hear that and truly feel for you. That is pretty thoughtless of the guy. Would it not be possible to say "hey I don't think we are a good fit" and give him a refund?

Nancy

@Nancy250 It is thoughtless and extremely rude! He showed up about an hour ago, 8pm or so. He lives on the coast ( about 2 hours from my home) he came to pick up his car that is getting worked on in my town. Car isn't ready yet so someone from the shop gave him a ride to my house and will pick him up in the morning. The thing is, things happen and I get that. BUT, if you have spent 5 hours in the emergency room getting diagnosed because you can't keep anything down...and still show up at my house...and then tell me " don't worry about it, just wash your hands a lot"! At this time he doesn't have a ride to a motel so telling him he has to leave isn't going to work...I'm beyond furious! I have been hosting for about 4 months, mostly pretty good experience ( although I need to cut back if I continue), at this point...I don't think I want to do this anymore lol, Tomorrow I'll spend all day disenfecting my home, lucky I have tomorrow night off but new guests Wednesday, hope the virus is dead by then:(. I write the nicest reviews for my guests...but not this time. 

@Sharion0,

So I'm new to this community center but I've been hosting almost 4 years. My understanding is that this will not be read by airb. If it were me I would call them:

Their contact says:

"We try to keep our phone lines open for guests and hosts with urgent situations. Please reach out to us via email if possible."

+1-415-798-2174

+1-877-532-2356 (toll free)

I have only need to call a couple times but they were helpful in both cases. And this sounds urgent to me.

Good luck!

Nancy

@Nancy250 Thanks for the info Nancy. I think he finally fell asleep( I haven't heard any more awful noise coming from the bathroom in a while:(. I'll call CS just to give them a heads up on the situation, I feel kinda bad wanting him out when he is so sick, but on the other hand...who would risk making a whole household sick...