Guest Reviews: "Value" rating is a problem

Guest Reviews: "Value" rating is a problem

Airbnb really needs to help guests understand what is meant by "value."  What is value?  What does that even mean?  Is it the price for the accomdation?  Is it the inherent value a guest gets personally from staying at your place?  Is value tied to the type of furniture, art, kitchen utensiles, or towels?  It is SUPER confusing for guests.  

We were recently knocked to 4 stars for value because one guest wanted us to have king beds (this when our listing clearly states in 3 places that we have queen beds) and then again when a guest said our brand-new mattresses were too hard for "their old backs."  Is that really what "value" means?

70 Replies 70
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Michael-and-Dru0, my understanding of value is what you get for your money. So, if you pay a premium price comparable to a hotel and get a dive located in a slum, then that is not good value. If you pay a budget price and get a lovely, clean, comfortable room in a nice house (compared to, say, what you would get for the same price in a dorm at a backpackers), then that is good value. So I perceive value as the quality of what I got for the money I paid. However, it is unfair for the guests to mark you down on value based on something that is clearly stated on your listing.

@Kath9 Yes, that is really how I see value as well.  That being said, it would be really helpful if airbnb corporate would actually come up with a definition and display that during the review process for guests.  Actually, while they are at it, they should define all the star categories to clear up confusion.

Yes, they SHOULD define the categories. Long overdue. Hosts have been asking for clarification for quite some time now.

How do you all keep your superhost status. I get mostly 5 star reviews and then the odd Clanger. I have just received a 3 star rating for value from a guest. This is during the peak holiday season and my house is on par with other local accommodation for Xmas.  I couldn’t help myself and wrote to them explaining that this is a fail according to Airbnb. The overall rating was 3 stars as cleanliness and accuracy were also written down to 4 stars. It’s an old house with imperfections in the woodwork and benches etc. I hadn’t updated my photos since a new lounge suite went in. The people were very apologetic and want to change the review. It is however too late based on the Airbnb policy as I had already given them a 5 star review. There goes another chance to be a superhost. 

@Catherine342 I think you bring up a very good point that people dont' understand what those terms mean.  It's so inconsistent what one person may think it means versus another.  Let's take Europeans as an example:  5 star ratings are almost NEVER given.  Likewise in most European schools, students never earn perfect marks.  Unless Airbnb gives guidance, these kind of inconsistencies are going to constantly plague reviews.

It’s hard not to get discouraged when we’re at the mercy of the general public with their varying degrees of entitlement and intelligence. Mine is on snooze right now because of this. 

I had the same issue. The guest begging me not to cancel their reservation when Covid restrictions tightened in the area. They had 4 to 5 adults and were right at the base of the ski lifts during ski season. I got a 1 on Value even after she stated that it saved them a least an hours drive every morning and afternoon for the skiers! 

They paid LESS for an entire townhome - 2 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bath, fully stocked full sized kitchen,  living room, dining room, balcony, fireplace, washer/dryer in the unit etc. etc. etc. 

Her one complaint was that some things were "a little dated but fully functioning". The photos show exactly what is in the townhouse. 

What gives?!! And no protection from airbnb. Their site should have a "warning comment" come up to ask if the guest meant to leave a 1 (out of 5) when a guest leaves any score 3 or below. Perhaps the guest meant to leave a 5 and got confused that the "1" was the best! 

Airbnb does have some work to do here. 

Agree. Airbnb does not care of the host community anymore. We are no longer important, as the marketplace is now big enough, and have attracted enough host to fill up the supply side.

One guest recently dinged me on value. Gave me a 4. My cabin has been furnished with all high end furnishings, potter barn and all. Kitchen packed with stuffs. On the day she checked in, I paid $35 out of pocket to get her firewoods delivered in the middle of winter storm. She said "How can I give you 6 stars?" - and then left me a value score of 4. 

And there is no way to resolve that. 

What is value then?

Airbnb's policy needs updating. It doesn't seem to allow for someone changing a review when they've made a mistake. 

Agree , At least to allow 2 days change period (In case there was a mistake)

I agree with what others have said, but I too have struggled with this rating category. (This one and Location, sigh). Oddly, the few guests that have dinged us for value are the ones that we did extra things for! Such as allowed an extra guest without charge, even though our license only allows 10 guests, allowed late checkouts, stored luggage after checkout, etc. I've seen quite a trend where the folks that ask for extras or discounts are often the most troublesome and most likely to be more money-sensitive (and thus might ding you). My best advice (take with a grain of salt, we have a 4.8 rating on value) is to regularly compare your listing to other similar listings on AirBNB and make sure you're in the same ballpark. Some people simply might not understand that your particular city or area just costs more.

For example, our home sleeps 10 in Austin, and equivalent hotels (within 3 miles of downtown) would charge at least $200 per night, so 3-5 hotel rooms would cost way more than our home per night. Then, we also get dinged by some because we're not within walking distance to downtown (which, if we were, rates would likely be triple). Sigh...

Yes, the ones who ask for more are often the people who feel 'privileged' and expect more and more, without paying of course.

I just got a 4 star rating for value after I refunded the guest for his son who decided at the last minute not to come. The reason for the 4 star rating was 'would have liked earlier check-in'. But they didn't even ask if they could have earlier check-in. You just can't please some people.

Tony232
Level 2
Queenstown, New Zealand

....I got a 4 star rating for 'value' after allowing a guest who turned up with 8 guests (but booked/paid for 7) to have his 8th person stay for the week free of charge. Let no good turn go unpunished....

The other thing that gets me is 'location'. My place is on the side of a hill but has great views. It is abundantly clear in the listing that we are up a hill and that some may find the walk from town a challenge but they still book, then give me 4 stars for location. A bit like booking a place beside an airport then complaining about aircraft noise.....

I know the feeling buddy.  It's a little unfair sometimes because it depends on guest's perspective; if they feel they got a deal or didn't get a deal (regardless of the host giving freebies, being extra-flexible, allowing extra guests free of charge like you said, etc.).  I have had guests that booked my place, spend the night, leave me a 5-Star review no problem. I also have had guests that no matter what I do to go above and beyond, they still leave me a review that is quite great, but not perfect.  I guess some guests won't give anyone a perfect score (I have no idea, why).

I just learn from them, keep trying to improve things, and I try not to take it too personal. 

Btw, your listings are very nice! Good job!