Guest Reviews: "Value" rating is a problem

Guest Reviews: "Value" rating is a problem

Airbnb really needs to help guests understand what is meant by "value."  What is value?  What does that even mean?  Is it the price for the accomdation?  Is it the inherent value a guest gets personally from staying at your place?  Is value tied to the type of furniture, art, kitchen utensiles, or towels?  It is SUPER confusing for guests.  

We were recently knocked to 4 stars for value because one guest wanted us to have king beds (this when our listing clearly states in 3 places that we have queen beds) and then again when a guest said our brand-new mattresses were too hard for "their old backs."  Is that really what "value" means?

71 Replies 71
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Value and location are useless to me as a host. I can't change my location. I can't make someone who always thinks things are expensive think differently. We started by charging $50 a night when we first listed. It was February, our area is not popular with tourists in general at that time. I had no idea if we would even get any bookings but WOW did we. And starting with pricing so low was a huge mistake. Still, we had a few early guests ask for discounts. Some people just think anything that isn't "free" is too much money. 

I don't think most hotels try to position themselves as "good value." They merely price to stay competitive while offering slightly better amenities in the same star category. Airbnb, being homes and unique stays, are all like comparing apples to oranges. I may want a hot tub with my stay and be upset if that limits me to fewer, more expensive listings. It has nothing to do with the "value" of the place, but merely my perception of what is fair, what I can afford and what I should be able to get for that. A totally subjective equation. 

Everyone charges what they need to to cover their costs and maybe put a little extra in their pockets. I have no idea why guests get to comment on anyone's business margins. 

Irina293
Level 3
Antalya, Turkey

I got 4* rating for value twice and in both cases the guests thanked me for a wonderful stay, complemented me and said they would definitely come back. My house (160m2) with 3 bedrooms and ensuite bathrooms can sleep 6 persons but we charge per night, not per person and sometimes it is booked for 1 or 2 guests. And then they rate me 4* because they think it's a bit expensive. Just so weird.

@Michael-and-Dru0 

The whole review thing is very subjective and unfortunately, having individual catgories to rate just makes it even more of a minefield.  Fortunately I've not had many reviews where the overall rating isn't 5 stars, but within that there have been a few individual ratings of less than 5.  To me that doesn't make sense, if value or location or any of the individual categories isn't rated 5, how can the overall be 5?

I have had guests mark down my location because it isn't opposite the famous landmark that most visitors come here to see.  My listing makes it quite clear it's 2 minutes walk and that my listing has views of the ocean on the opposite side, but no, they mark it down because they weren't able to know the difference between East and West.

I have meen marked down with a suggestion that my listing would be better if it were moved to a different place (no suggestion as to how I do that of course) and I've been marked down on check-in because guests chose not to accept my help by meeting them at an easily located landmark and walking them to the listing.

In some ways, one can't expect people to have to understand what Airbnb might mean when putting these categories up for review, in my case these folk are here on holiday, not out to take a logic test that involves working out what x, y or z might mean.

Overall it might just be better if there was one rating and an opportunity to add comments as the guest might feel it appropriate.  Currently they are faced with category after category and in many cases I am sure, just can't be bothered after the first couple.  What began as a chance to say they liked something, plain and simple became a chore.

If there was only one rating and a comment box, then surely if they felt that you were too expensive, too dirty, a grumpy host or whatever, they'd say so.  Likewise, if something wasn't quite as they might have expected, provided their overall experience was good, I am sure most people would say just that, it was good.

Sometimes Airbnb tries to get a bit too clever and it doesn't work, Airbnb might want a world beating rating system, most guests just want somewhere nice to stay with a friendly host and don't want an inquisition after the event.

@Cave0  "I have meen marked down with a suggestion that my listing would be better if it were moved to a different place". 

Being at the mercy of people with this level of intelligence is hard to take.

@Michael-and-Dru0 

And I meant to add, that the location information is in the hands of Airbnb, I don't produce or control the location information that Airbnb provides to guests, but they still mark me down if they're unable to get here courtesy of Airbnb!

Jacqueline970
Level 2
New York, NY

When i first started airbnb my listing was super cheap because i wanted to start booking and get ratings. My 1st guest that received detailed description, discounted price in addition to airbnb added discount, they broke lots of house rules and even disconnected the security cameras that are out side ,,, terrible guests,, they rated me a 3 on value!!!!   

then i had the 2nd that was good guest but annoyed that the lake was driving distance and the pool was closed due to Covid 19 which she was well aware of before booking and checking in... also rated it a 3 on value. 

after that I stopped discounts and raised my prices to the market rates and guess what all 5 stars after that consistently! I realize that the guests may have been a 3 in value not my listing or my hosting skills . 

Michelle-Larry0
Level 4
Washington, United States

Yes, yet another instance of Airbnb throwing hosts under the bus!

”value” is always “value compared to what?” Logically, it would be value compared to other similar listings. 

But with no guidance about how to determine “value, ” guests continually rate me with 5 stars on everything but value. My  impression is that they think: “great value is if I get a great place for a less than market price.” A fair price is not considered great value. Thus, Airbnb creates a dynamic whereby the hosts must price below market in order to receive a “high value rating.”

This of course is just another race to the bottom for hosts, which Airbnb specializes in encouraging. 

so very tired of the lip service Airbnb pays to all of us who make them wildly rich.

@Jacqueline970 @Michelle-Larry0 

I suppose value works both ways.

If the price paid for something differs from the prevailing market value the price could be either too high or too low.

I prefer to assume that the guest thinks that my price is absurdly cheap, so I’ll raise it for them if they ever want to come back.

Rob11232
Level 1
Salt Lake City, UT

I had a guest checkout on the second day of their booking because their purpose for staying was canceled.  they didn't ask me for a refund but I could tell from their last message that they were perhaps hoping I would offer it because of how they were complaining about their need to leave early . . . I would perhaps have offered a partial refund if they had only asked, but they didn't . . . then of course when they rated me they gave me low points for value.  

Maybe this "value" metric has something to do with this: 

https://www.businessinsider.com/airbnb-ceo-hosts-lower-prices-competitive-hotels-brian-chesky-2023-1...

I've been superhost for 8+years and have a great rental property which is booked most of the time.   . . . if people don't want to pay for my 3 bedroom 2 bath rental with kitchen, backyard, front porch to watch the sunset, living room and separate dining/family room with a fireplace, which sleeps up to 8 people,  they can go get a hotel, for 3-4x the price . . . not planning on lowering the price to meet some subjective "value" metric. 

Gigi155
Level 2
Dolan Springs, AZ

All of a sudden, We keep getting 4stars for value even though our price hasn't changed and we practically helped the last few who gave us 4 for value plan their trip, early check in, private, fire pit, snacks, great sunset and sunrise, printed maps out, "they had the BEST time, best airbnb" yet 4 for Value. It is driving me nuts. What is the deal???? It's so not fair. 

Carla1784
Level 1
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand

Agree 100%!! 

We get 5 stars for everything apart from value but guests get everything they signed up for and they knew the cost of it before they booked so it's annoying to say the least...

Come on Air Bnb - please delete this feedback item!

Joyce452
Level 2
Salamander Bay, Australia

Agree, we absolutely get 5 stars for for everything except Value.  The guest knows exactly what they get PLUS we give them so much more - goody basket, wine, and escape game which would cost $100 to play anywhere else.  I think that the value category should be done away with.  What exactly does it mean?  Cheers,