Guest Reviews: "Value" rating is a problem

Guest Reviews: "Value" rating is a problem

Airbnb really needs to help guests understand what is meant by "value."  What is value?  What does that even mean?  Is it the price for the accomdation?  Is it the inherent value a guest gets personally from staying at your place?  Is value tied to the type of furniture, art, kitchen utensiles, or towels?  It is SUPER confusing for guests.  

We were recently knocked to 4 stars for value because one guest wanted us to have king beds (this when our listing clearly states in 3 places that we have queen beds) and then again when a guest said our brand-new mattresses were too hard for "their old backs."  Is that really what "value" means?

70 Replies 70

One guest gave me a 3 for "Accuracy". When I saw that, I asked what I could do better or change to be more accurate. I asked that on the public feedback! And of course never received any response. It'd be helpful if Airbnb would ask that of the guest so we could actually get some constructive feedback. Luckily, it was ONE person out of many. 

We’re also confused of that “VALUE” in reviews. One of our guest gave us 4 in value but the rest are all 5, it doesn’t make any sense and put our score down by 5 points. And when the next 3 guests, gave us 5 stars , airbnb didn’t add even just a single point 😳

You are completey correct that many people feel privileged and expect ore and more without paying for it.  They are often the people who leave the low ratings.  What does "value" actually mean?

Airbnb should force guests to justify if a rating value of less than 5 is submitted. That way, they can "resolve" these as valid/just if the justification warrants it. Without any associated justification, there is no way to dispute these ratings. Even a fat finger might ruin your reputation.

You are correct about the guests who ask for discounts or additional things. I’ve only been an Airbnb host for 12 months and soon realised this. We are a new build so everything is brand new, we’re by the sea with stunning views and 10 minutes walk to a pretty English town. I supply every little extra, even though we are self catering and the majority of my guests appreciate this. However, I have had the odd 4* grade for value. The common trait in all of them were guests who had asked for extra things, discounts, earlier check-ins etc.

One guest gave me a life lesson. He wanted to visit during low season Monday to Friday and said they would leave on the Thursday so could he have a discount. I have set housekeeping days and initially said he could leave earlier but those were the dates. I then decided (against my better judgement) to reduce by £100. I charge £300 per night (sleeps six) When the guest came to visit they said they’d had an amazing time and wanted to return. He also told my husband he always bargains people down. When the Thursday came for him to leave he said he’d managed to arrange for him to stay and didn’t leave. I was not impressed. I mentioned he was due to leave but I accepted I should have altered his booking and I didn’t so I did t make a fuss. He had the cheek to give me 4* for value. However, the following week his son booked on our website and paid full price direct. 

I have seen many hosts on here get upset at the value grading. Some only charge £50 per night. It’s not worth lowering your price, it isn’t workable and Airbnb charge the guest anyway. You just receive less money and do all of the work.

My lesson:- People are people, you should only worry about what you can control. Do your best. If you try to be a people pleaser it will bite you on the butt. Set your standards, your terms, your prices and stick with them. 

Have a great day!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

unfortunatelly common sense becomes more rare then gold

Carl-and-Elodie0
Level 6
London, United Kingdom

Maybe airbnb should try to stop this guests to book similar listing with similar price after they rated 3, 4 stars for value.

We had a lot of 4 stars and the last guest left us 3 stars  but they left 5 stars everywhere else....

So they are happy with everything, they get what they expect but the price is too high, well nobody force them to book it and they knew the price before they booked

It doesnt really make sense for me

I think basic economics plays a role in value.  If I am getting booked, than my value is somewhere in the right ballpark.  

The same logic applies for location. The circle basically shows our neighborhood.  If you don't like that location, why did you chose it?  

Carl-and-Elodie0
Level 6
London, United Kingdom

We had our first 2 stars in accuracy. The guest wrote in the explanation that the taxi driver had difficulties to find the place lol

@Carl-and-Elodie0we got few poor ratings for accuracy from guests who didn't read our listing's description and assumed something else.

If people don't read, there is really nothing we can do as hosts.  Airbnb should really allow us to state our case when a low star rating is given because someone simply didn't read the description.  We recently had someone complain that we didn't have king sized beds, yet our listing very clearly states we have 2 queen beds.  They gave us 4 stars for value because of it.  How ridiculous and there is no way we can appeal those stars to airbnb.  

Totally agree. We have absolutely no come-back against poor ratings from very poor guests who have no idea what they're booking half the time. I get complaints about no phone reception - as if I have any control over this!!!!

Agreed! a lot more things are more geared for the guests nowadays and we are penalized in the search results as well because of some of these guests and there currently squat we can do about it and can be frustrating.

I am learning that the more we have reached over 150, 200, and one of ours nearly 300. The more guests are NOT READING basically anything that is on our listing or in our guidebook because they basically think its a hotel and think it does not matter.

Yes and that's exactly what i am suggesting. Airbnb must find a way to allow Guests and Hosts to have documented conversations justifying these scores, so future potential guests can see for themselves what ridiculous and stupid reasons are behind those dinged scores. And decide for themselves.

I think Airbnb should eliminate "value" from their ratings. It's too subjective and honestly, I had mostly 5's but I wonder what people who give me a 4 or a 3 think they are getting when they show up with four adults, have three bedrooms, 1500 square feet, cable, a washer and dryer, snacks, etc.) but pay LESS than a single room in a Best Western?

Value is a stupid rating. Maybe we as hosts should come up with suggestions for how we want to be rated.  OR we should be allowed to revise our star ratings of those same guests after we see their evaluations.