Guest Reviews: "Value" rating is a problem

Guest Reviews: "Value" rating is a problem

Airbnb really needs to help guests understand what is meant by "value."  What is value?  What does that even mean?  Is it the price for the accomdation?  Is it the inherent value a guest gets personally from staying at your place?  Is value tied to the type of furniture, art, kitchen utensiles, or towels?  It is SUPER confusing for guests.  

We were recently knocked to 4 stars for value because one guest wanted us to have king beds (this when our listing clearly states in 3 places that we have queen beds) and then again when a guest said our brand-new mattresses were too hard for "their old backs."  Is that really what "value" means?

71 Replies 71
Lisa1485
Level 3
Guildford, United Kingdom

We had a couple stay overnight a couple of weeks ago. She lived about 20 miles down the road, and he lived in the next town, less than 8 miles away. Anyway, they only stayed over night, went out to eat in the town where he lives. Then gave us a rating of 3 stars for both location and value (we’ve never had a value rating below 5 before).

We don’t have any extra charges for more than one person staying, cleaning etc. We don’t provide breakfast, (clear on our listing), guests can help themselves to a large range of teas, coffees and hot chocolate and are welcome to bring and make their own breakfast. We also provide guests with top range shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, large fluffy towels, hairdryer, iron and board, slippers.  Our prices are around the same per night as a basic Travel Lodge or Premier Inn, (neither of whom provide breakfast as standard) but we are over £100 cheaper than the local 4* hotels, in the top one near to us, we are over £300 cheaper! Considering the quality of our amenities, we think we offer super value.

They knew from out listing where we were located, the map shows our village even before the full address is given on booking. They chose to go back to his home town for dinner, they could have stayed more local.  

They actually ticked the boxes for stylish space, thoughtful touches, great amenities, sparkling clean etc (essentially every box). Then gave us 3 stars for location and value! I am not a happy host!

Lisa1485
Level 3
Guildford, United Kingdom

We had a couple stay overnight a couple of weeks ago. She lived about 20 miles down the road, and he lived in the next town, less than 8 miles away. Anyway, they only stayed over night, went out to eat in the town where he lives. Then gave us a rating of 3 stars for both location and value, we’ve never had a value rating below 5 before, we’ve had the odd location rating of 4 before, but hey, we can’t move our house and we state quite clearly where we are in relation to our surroundings.

We don’t have any extra charges for more than one person staying, cleaning etc. We don’t provide breakfast, (clear on our listing), guests can help themselves to a large range of teas, coffees and hot chocolate and are welcome to bring and make their own breakfast. We also provide guests with top range shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, large fluffy towels, hairdryer, iron and board, slippers.  Our prices are around the same per night as a basic Travel Lodge or Premier Inn, (neither of whom provide breakfast as standard) but we are over £100 cheaper than the local 4* hotels, in the top one near to us, we are over £300 cheaper! Considering the quality of our amenities, we think we offer super value.

They knew from out listing where we were located, the map shows our village even before the full address is given on booking. They chose to go back to his home town for dinner, they could have stayed more local.  

They actually ticked the boxes for stylish space, thoughtful touches, great amenities, sparkling clean etc (essentially every box). Then gave us 3 stars for location and value! I am not a happy host!

Anne420
Level 2
Fennville, MI

I too am increasingly dismayed with the "value"  rating. As was stated previously, folks have different ideas of what value means. Even if it is in relation to the monetary amount they pay, some folks will never be satisfied. We live in a tourist area and the motels go for $250 per night in season- a motel room with no kitchen. We offer our cabins with kithcens and have a basic breakfast in the frig, along with coffees, teas, etc for MUCH cheaper, and will  get an overall 5 star but get  dinged on value bc people don't WANT to pay $150. 

Frederik18
Level 2
Ghent, Belgium

Indeed I agree. Also, defining value is very difficult that's true. What I sometimes don't understand is that everything is rated 5 stars, but value 4 stars. I see this a lot in the review sections of other listings. I don't really get if you rate 5 stars everywhere, why you should rate 4 stars for value...

Fred1102
Esther13
Level 6
Doylestown, PA

Recently, we have been getting an increasing number of 4 star ratings on value while getting 5 star for everything else.  it has puzzled me for a while, but I believe I have just figured out the problem.  It is two fold and made itself evident once airbnb started to collect taxes.  First, there was the state tax of 6%.  In the last year, airbnb has started collecting the county taxes also.  They are 4 and 5%.  This adds 10 - 11% for our guests.  Before that, there has always been the airbnb fee.  Their fee is extremely high and runs at least 10%.  Just today,I had a guest make a statement implying that I am getting the airbnb service fee.  When the guests end up paying an additional 20% to 30% more than your asking price, no wonder they don't think it is a value.  And airbnb is letting guest believe it the host getting the service fee.

To combat this problem, I am doing several things.  I updated my profile to say we are a value and if you don't agree, book something else.  I am also going to add verbiage to our listings explaining the taxes and airbnb fee and explain that we do not get any of that.  The guests need to understand that the lack of value is due mainly to airbnb's fees.  After all, the only third party expenses at a hotel are taxes.  The airbnb fee on hosts is fair and I have no problem with it.  But the guest service fee on our bookings is ridiculous. It is inconsistent and unfair to hosts.  Now I also know why airbnb is always pushing for us to lower our prices by the percentage of their guest fees.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I got a value deduction just because Los Angeles is more expensive that the other (cheaper) parts of the country this guest was traveling.

Reza26
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

I started my AirBnb business just last December - small unit in my house , decorated properly ! 

became super host just couple of days ago 

with 5 star rating !

then couple of night ago someone from my own home town , which is AirBnb host as well , requested last minute reservations for three days 

then after three days he scored me 3 for Value ! And 3 overall !!!?!

dropped my rate to 4.8 all of sudden which I think was really unfair .

i think my apartment is clean / stylish best location and I’m always there to help and Also cheapest place in Neighbourhood, 

Reduced the price and cleaning cost for him and gave free parking spot 

so still  3 !!

Value !?!?

@Reza26That really sucks. A few things that would have stood out as red flags for me on this reservation that might help for next time: 

1) Why does a local person need to stay with you? That's often trouble. 

2) People who ask for discounts are almost always trouble. They're looking to get something for nothing, and they're demanding. 

3) My personal experience with hosting hosts is not good. I've hosted a few, and my worst-ever review came from a fellow host who I went above and beyond for. Their expectations are often high, and they're often very judgy about how you do what you do compared to how they do it. 

4) Last-minute reservations are often trouble. They have some negative reason for needing to stay somewhere (usually), and it colours their whole stay. They don't want to be spending the money for staying with you, so they start out resentful. 

On the plus side, you have lots of time to get good reviews before your next Superhost evaluation, so I'm sure you'll be right back up there before then. 

Reza26
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Thank you so much for your helpful and encouraging comment !

lesson  learned ! With some cost !

And It was a eye opening experience 

Also noticed I’m not alone in this , by reading others comments!

I will try harder and better to keep my guests happy !

@Reza26No problem! And it seems like you're doing a great job of making your guests happy overall: some people are just never going to be happy!

@Reza26 

Report this host by clicking the little flag in the corner of one of his messages to you. This happens more often than you think and is actually an option when reporting to Airbnb. "I'm concerned their hosting in my neighborhood."

Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 6.12.51 PM.png

Reza26
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Thank you Emilia , when I read your comment I was hesitant to do that but when I thought about it more I decided to flag him!

He lives in my city and he is a host himself he knows the price of apartments !

for sure I will do it for sake of other AirBnb hosts 

Thanks for advice 🙂

Our Airbnb rentals are not priced for those on a budget. Our price is very clear in the platform. Our guests have said things like “the absolute HIGHLIGHT of our trip”, “the BEST Airbnb we have ever stayed at” and “the pictures don’t do it justice, this place EXCEEDED our expectations “......yet we often get a 4 star rating for value. 

SMH

Holly420
Level 2
Barwon Heads, Australia

I completely agree that this rating criteria is completely subjectiv. We got rated 3 stars for value when every other rating was 5 stars - how is this possible? If someone doesn't think accommodation is good value they shouldn't book it! Unless there is misleading or inaccurate information in the listing someone shouldn't be rating everything else a 5 and giving you a 3 for value. We are significantly cheaper than other listings and live in an expensive sea side town. Airbnb should review this criteria

Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

Once I got a 3* rating in value with the comment: I guees nothing is good value in Zurich

This guy definitely have not understood that especially because Zurich is so expensive my place has an extremly good value (he booked my big, bright and convenient room with fantastic view/sunset over Zurich, direct connections within 10 minutes to most hot spots in Zurich, walking also possible, direct connection to the airport, but very quiet, although that central .. for a slight bit more then the youth hostel which is far away from Zurich city (I get the same as a hostel, but of course there are airbnb fees on top).