"You're At Risk"?!?!?!!?

John11
Level 3
Santa Cruz, CA

"You're At Risk"?!?!?!!?

On my Dashboard page I recently saw the following "notice" from Airbnb:

Hosting summary
        You’re at risk
        Your account could be suspended if you don’t focus on improving to meet Airbnb hosting standards.

March earnings

Overall rating: 4.7 
            Total reviews: 170
            Total 5-star reviews: 81%

So I called Airbnb to find out what "standards' I am failing to meet.  I was told by Airbnb call center staff that I "only" have 81% 5-Star Reviews but when I asked what % of 5 -Star reviews I needed to achieve to get out of "risk of suspension" they didn't have an answer.

Seriously, Airbnb?!?!?!?  I have two homes listed on our site, generate almost $10,000/month, have a 4.7% approval rating from 170 guests of which 81% are 5-Stars and you're putting me on notice!

I really don't appreicate the aggressive and condesending threats, Airbnb!  You're tone deaf to the message and feeling you're delivering to your hosts.  Get a clue. I used to think that VRBO has the the worst customer service in the rental industry but you're really giving them a run for their money these days.

39 Replies 39
Betty-B--M-0
Level 10
Nairobi, Kenya

...you have a confirmed USD 8000+ in March earnings alone, and you state you do almost USD 10,000 monthly, thanks to ABB? Dayum! I'll happily take condescending approach and dashboard threats for that. 

Just kidding.

Sorry to hear about the uncouth notice. If they didn't have an answer for you, could it be a mistake or something you can ignore?

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

The change to the yearly avg (4.7) will have impact to everyone eventually - it is a lot less forgiving than 80% 5*. It's almost like Airbnb hired a few mba folks who have never hosted a guest in their lif s, and then went and changed everything. The above will also stop you getting into plus, listing for family, or business 😞

@John11   On my dashboard it says 4.8 is 80% 5 star reviews.  Seems to be some magical 'x' unknown factor in the equation if 81%  5 star reviews is 4.7 on yours. I wonder if different categories are accorded different weight in the calculation, such as 5 star cleanliness is worth more than 5 star location.

If you get 9 at 5* and then a 1* you will find the avg is 4.6 and it will be sending you emails telling you your listing is at risk. It clearly made sense to someone who didn't host guests on Airbnb.

Based on this math, the four seasons in Seattle would be leaving the brand shortly since they have too many non 5* reviews. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@John11

1. Whatever you post here is not necessarily read by Airbnb.

2. Those 'curt' automatic notices come from their computer, who is programmed to say such stupid things.

3. Within reason, if you are making them money you will never be terminated (in Mafia terms - if you are a 'good earner' you will never get 'whacked').

@Fred13   I mentioned this forum to one employee  to ask her to clarify a point, I even sent her the link, she said,  "I cannot comment on other sites".  I said  it's a forum on the Airbnb site, she said, "we don"t have a forum".

@Ange2That employee gives the old adage 'Ignorance is Bliss' a whole new meaning. You know, sometimes I also wished I was totally uninformed about a lot of things, perhaps my life would have been much simpler and wonderful. 😉

Patricia917
Level 1
Gretna, LA

You are so lucky you got to TALK to someone from AIRBNB! I have been only able to e-mail! they keep sending me the same answer. IWANT TO TALK TO SOMEONE !!! I want my cancellation policy to VERY STRICT and I can only list strict which gives their money back before 7 days. I can't reschedule a rental in 7 days. I am losing money!

@Patricia917, you can't. Superstrict is by invitation only, for very particular proterties. You can choose Strict. Doesn't matter if you call them or not, this is the answer.

go on to their facebook page and make a comment..they will respond

Carole140
Level 2
Portland, OR

Whoa!

I got the same message. They only want totally perfect 100% of the time. That's not reality, especially if you have an older building, like we do. People have bad days, unreasonable expectations, etc so there are lots of reasons not to get 5* reviews every time. 4 out of 5 is still 80% if you actually do the math, but it's like they consider anything less than 4.7 (which is 94%) to be failing. Also, if you get more than 2 reviews in a row that aren't 5*, they don't like that and will threaten you with suspension.

They are averaging the score over a year - as above, all it take is a 1* review and you are going down. How long before some airbnbnhost commits suicicde chasing these stats. 

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi All,

Yes, Airbnb is putting the squeeze on.

For Superhost, this will be anything beyond the April 2018 Evaluation: From 80% 5-Star overall ratings, to a 4.8 overall rating (Basically the same applies to all hosts, not only Superhosts).

So after April 1st, any host with less than 20 reviews a year, can be destroyed by only 1 guest with a very bad 1-star review (or even accidentally giving you a single star, that is).

As it used to be at least 3 'lesser' reviews, when you only had 10 reviews a year.

And as the system is run by the numbers, so are the automated e-mails.

The norm seems to become 4.7 So it looks like it they are trying to 'purify' the offer-base, by 'natural selection' according to their own standards. It's the same with UBER: Every driver falling below a 4.6 will be automatically fired.

Don't worry, there are many other sites, that will happilly take onboard any offered accommodation, that will generate any income.