"..it's not luxurious.."

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

"..it's not luxurious.."

I've read with interest the various posts and comments regarding Airbnb Plus and feel like putting some thoughts in writing.

We've been hosting with Airbnb for 2 years now and have been 99% happy with the experience. We really didn't know how (or if) it would work out for us. We didn't spend a lot of money before starting (new mattress, new linen & towels...) but as we got bookings, we spent a little more on a kitchen update (which our place needed anyway). So, basically, there wasn't a huge start-up cost. We love our flat, and the area, and our city, so we thought there were bound to be other people who'd feel the same way. Guests have the best bedroom and bathroom while we make do with the servants' quarters 😉

Regarding Airbnb Plus, I can totally understand why hosts in the places where it's been brought in, are feeling … miffed, belittled, pushed out, worried about their livelihoods. It hasn't been brought in in our area so I don't know exactly how I'd react. However, there's something that keeps niggling at me: why do we all (I fall into this trap myself, as well) assume that more luxury, more amenities, equals “better”? How much luxury, how many amenities, do we really need in our lives?! How much effort/money do we want to spend to “keep up with the Jones's”? Do guests really want all of this stuff?! I assume that the majority of our guests are visiting to see the city, attend an event, get together with their kids who are attending uni, for work... I mean, they're not going to be spending much time in our home* other than sleeping, eating, showering...

*There have been exceptions – it always surprises me (pleasantly) when guests just want to spend time in the flat, or sleep!

Of course, there's a huge variety of guests who want different things from a home; hopefully Airbnb can cater for many different requirements, without sidelining/belittling some of us. Oh, but I LOVED the initial spirit of Airbnb, the sharing of our homes (call me an old hippie) and would be very sad if that spirit were lost!

Vive la difference!

PS The title of this post is from a review (actually a very nice one) which initially made us think: “oh, what is she implying?” (...it's a British thing!) Then, we decided, yeah, we aint luxurious and that's absolutely fine 🙂

PPS We're also a bit Green, so, you know, trying to help the planet 🙂

41 Replies 41
Patricia55
Level 10

@Sarah0 Your place sounds wondrous 🙂

@Patricia55  Thank you. But you'd also have to be ok with seeing the odd cockroach, ant or scorpion, since they live around here, too 🙂

Matteo75
Level 2
Genova, Italy

Airbnb Plus is a great excuse to get more money from the Host ...always more: more visibility, more money...all this when in Airbnb's suggestion price you can find a great apt in the center area with 2 rooms /2 bathrooms /parking/sea view for 60 dollars night...

Patricia55
Level 10

I tend to agree... 😞

Anna1173
Level 2
Austin, TX

Totally agree, different strokes for different folks -- when I travel I want: not-expensive, clean bed, hot shower, and no critters (as in rats & roaches). Period.  If I want luxurious, I'll just stay home! I spend about 90% of my time away from the lodging when I'm away. Example: I recently went to NYC. Initially I considered the Roosevelt (where I stayed in 2009), but they wanted $400/night for their cheapest room. So I quickly found an abnb brownstone room at Broadway & Times Square for $60/night. Just a tiny room, clean bed, hot shower. Perfect.

So as an abnb host, my space is like a mini-apartment behind my kitchen, it's self-contained. I tell guests, staying here is more like being my "roomie"  and nothing like staying in a hotel."  I don't feed or clean, they have access to kitchen, washer/dryer, and cleaning supplies. Aside from the one reasonable room fee (I say no to abnb pricing; I keep my price just high enough (so as to keep out the rif-raf), no additional fees. Space stays booked. 

But, I do know people who are totally into where they are "staying."  Like if to boost their status in the world -- they seek validation.  They brag about the couch, the soap, send selfies from the balcony ... for these people, yeah, PLUS was born ...   so, whatever, right.

Patricia55
Level 10

You're right @Anna0, about the status-symbols that people are seeking...

Stavros19
Level 2
Nicosia, Cyprus

Personally am very new at this, but i've had a great expirience so far with this platform.

I try to meet every guest personally and so far i've met some really interesting people!

I do not consider the new thing "Airbnb plus" a problem cause not every guest is looking for luxury.

Just consider the Hotel business we get 5 stars all the way to single star hotels and theyall have a place in the market.

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

I'm an ebayer since it started way back in the 1990's. The same exact thing happened with ebay as appears to be happening with airbnb now. The company gets really big and sucessful of the backs of little guys like us. With all that expansion and sucess their ego goes wild & they feel that they can all of a sudden go in a completely different direction (luxury accomodations?! LOL) and ditch the very group of people that made them a sucess in the first place. It'll take a while but you will revel in the fact that like ebay. airbnb will eventually be brought back down to earth with HUGE finacial losses. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Everyone, please remember that Airbnb is losing listings because of laws appearing where there never was a need for them before Airbnb. They are seeking ways to place themselves in various markets as other opportunities fall off. This doesn't mean I am a fan of Plus necessarily, but that is a potential reason, don't you think?

@Sandra126  Then they should be honest about it and stop the BS about the "sharing economy" and how small hosts are so valued, ad nauseum. Personally, I can't stand hypocrisy.

Patricia55
Level 10

@Sarah977You said it - precisely.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

And many of those laws have been instituted because locals can no longer find affordable places to rent since so many people now rent out their places on booking sites. So how does Plus address that?