recycling trash

Betsy38
Level 1
Sandwich, MA

recycling trash

I am a new host this summer and have had 4 sets of guests.  Each guest has a lot of trash!! I've set out recycling bins and people do recycle, but the bins aren't big enough.  As anyone had any experience encouraging their guests to reduce consumption (i.e. plastic water bottles, etc.) and reuse before throwing away or recycling? I have a big jug of water in the refrigerator for the guests and reusuable water bottles available. Or is dealing with a lot of trash just part of being a host.  I'm horrified at the amount of waste and trash!  I would love your thoughts.

Thank you.

16 Replies 16

@Sierra29  It's pretty surprising and depressing to me that there still seem to be so many people who just don't seem to either be aware of give a hoot about recycling and what the plastic problem is doing to the planet. They fill bags full of garbage indiscriminately. They actually make me angry.

Between what I recycled, and the compost bin in my backyard, I never produced more than one small shopping bag (not a big garbage bag) full of garbage a week, even when I was raising 3 kids. My neighbor, a single guy, somehow managed to fill 2 large garbage cans per week, and sometimes he'd even have an extra bag out there.  

It really is mind boggling isn't it?