Looking for remote lock recommendations, in Germany

Margit1
Level 1
Cologne, Germany

Looking for remote lock recommendations, in Germany

Hi,

We are new here and saw the airbnb recommendation for remote locks (here in germany): RemoteLock 500i

As an alternative i found the Yale ENTR or the August Smart Lock (and the startup Nuki)

But the reviews i found on amazon for example are mostly poor...

Has somebody here real hands on experience with any kind of remote lock and wants to share the experience with the community?

many thanks,

Michael

81 Replies 81
Alberto13
Level 1
Barcelona, Spain

Hi, 

I seen many reviews and systems and finally see they all hve problems.

Finally I have made my own solution for both openning front doors in the building and the door in the appartment. 

I used ENTR to physically open the door, but I control it from my own system. Like that I can open home from any place in the world.

Write me if you need to know mor. I am located in Barcelona and would be happy to help others in Barcelona or near.

Hi Wojciech,

Many thanks for your reply.

but what do you mean with "own solution/own system"?

are you a programmer? is there any API for the ENTR so you can programm it by yourself?

many thanks

Michael

Hola Alberto.  Me interesa saber un poco mas sobre tu solucion,

gracias

Hola Alberto,

he leído tu mail, y me gustaría saber ¿cómo te va con la cerradura Smart ENTR? 

Te pediría pf me pudieras echar un cable, yo en mi residencial encontrarían una puerta - portal a la calle, con el interfono de toda la vida que es el mismo para todos los vecinos, y después ya encontrarían la puerta de mi apartamento. Y la verdad no se que sistema adoptar??

Muchísimas gracias de antemano

Te mando un saludo

hola alberto, podrias comentarme que sistema has usado tu? necesito una cerradura para controlar a distancia sin necesidad de llaves y ando un poco confuso. muchas gracias.

Stuart4
Level 3
Hove, United Kingdom

Hi Margit,

we, smartlock are the UK/European distributors for Lockstate smart lock products. Our locks integrate directly with airbnb and bring many benefits to the host. I would strongly recommend you check out the Remotelock 6i, this is a commercial grade smart lock designed with airbnb hosts in mind. It also comes in a mortice version which means that if you have an existing mortice lock, you can leave it in place and the 6i interfaces with it. The 6i has a keypad so you don't need to have a mobile phone to open the door. It is wifi enabled, no additional hub is required and you can manage all you access from the smartCONNECT web portal.

You can find us at [link removed]

email me for a discount code.

kind regards,

Stuart

Hi Stuart - I'm interested to learn more about your lock.  I'm a host in Williamsburg (Brooklyn), NY - do you have a distributor in NY?  Best, Paco

Hello Paco,

please contact Lockstate in Colorado.

kind regards, Stuart

Hi Paco, we have a smartthings hub and the schlage lock for our brooklyn place and it works well.  

Ryan & Leda, can you delete/add user codes remotely with your Smartthings/Schlage lock setup?

Which Schlage lock do you use?

Yes, you have to play around a bit and learn the basics of smartthings and the hub, including a basic understanding of coding as smartthings does not have a built in smartapp for the lock.  So once you get that working you can control the status and codes remotely.  With up to 30 codes, codes that turn off after one use, etc... It isn't that hard but takes a little time.  I think we have the Schlage Connect lock.  It took me about 20 minutes to install each lock.  

Thanks for the reply! That's interesting. Tell me about the coding that you mentioned. Do you mean I have to write my own code or something else (like install someone else's that I download from Github or somewhere)? How long did the coding setup take (or was that the 20 minutes you were referring to)?

If you know what github is, you are already winning.  The physical lock install was about 20 minutes on the easy door, about 45 minutes on the other door which had a different configuration.  The github app addition took a while because I hadn't done it before and it wasn't a straight forward process with creating a custom app, publishing it to the hub, then adding it to the lock.  There is a lock app built into smartthings but it doesn't have the code control.  You would have to rely on programming codes on the physical lock instead which isn't really useful.  

Oh, awesome. Can you help point me to the repo? I don't know if this forum allows posting links, but I can get to Github and find it if I know what I'm looking for. Thanks for all the help, Ryan! You're giving me confidence that I can do this!

I'll order my Smartthings Hub and Schlage Connect!