requests to visit apartment before booking

requests to visit apartment before booking

I am constantly geeting requests to visit before booking. I have several photos and guests review. I reply that communication is done only through the airbnb site. I recieve pushback, disbelief and suspicion.  I also flag these communication. For me it is a safety and time issue. Any ideas?

7 Replies 7
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Ettice0 You are absolutely right in declining these requests.  The only exception I would even consider would be for guests looking to make a long term booking and even then I would involve Airbnb.  You certainly don't want looky-loos traipsing around your place for privacy and safety reasons. Keep in mind that your calendar is available for anyone to view. 

Here's what Airbnb has to say on the subject: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/47/what-do-i-do-if-a-guest-wants-to-see-my-place-before-booking

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

Hi,

Did you know that you can request Airbnb to reach out to these folks who do contact you to view the place to ask them to send an email to the prospective guests that this is requests is UNACCEPTABLE!  I had one of these happen by someone who actually FOUND my place and knocked on my door because he couldn't book my place thru Airbnb.  I immediatley called Airbnb to report this.  And I removed the photo on my account showing the front of my home which made it easy for him to find me.  

My suggestion on your next request from anyone viewing your home prior to booking is to simply send them the toll free number to the guests asking them to contact Airbnb about this, so Airbnb can explain to them that this request is against the Airbnb terms.

I have had Airbnb send an email to a few people about policy as well as Airbnb even called the potential guests to remind them about what is acceptable or not.  Im sorry that you are going through this.  For some reason I can't see your photos, but I would like you to post as many photos as possibly using the best lighting as possible and see if that helps too.  I have 26 photos on my account and I am only listing a private room.....but in 78 inquries I have only been asked once to see my place...so maybe the photos are working too.  Also, my reivews clearly state that my photos are EXTREMELY ACCURATE.  Do your reviews say this too?  Good Luck.

Also, quick note...I was about to book a place but noticed that the person didn't have a single photo of the bathroom, which I thought was very strange and they had no photos of the bedroom....I specifically asked them to post this and they did...a week later.  After seeing the photos, I decided to book elsewhere.  She posted a photo of a very dark bedroom.  Why would someone think that's ok?  And its still there even though I recommended she turn on a light or post a photo using daylight.  You would think she would take advice from a SuperHost.

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Maryam0
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

New at hosting! 🙂

So, I didn't think much of people asking to view for their parents' upcoming trip or their daughter coming home to visit.....None of the ones who requested it have shown up.  But, I am certainly glad to read this exchange from all of you.  Thank you

Can I please have the airbnb toll free number?  Not sure where to find it though I've searched.

At this point, do I report those who made the request?

On another note, I've had numerous inquiries but people don't book.  That's ok but am I the one to then hit 'decline' or should I ask them to  cancel their inquiry when they tell me they will no longer be needing my space?

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Yes i had the same request usually i declined by explaining the pictures are accurate as it is mobile phone pictures.

Hi Maryam.

If the guests are merely inquiring, your calendar will not be blocked until they actually have booked with a credit card.  No action is required on your part.  I frequently get inquiries for specific dates, and I "pre-approve" the booking, so that when the guest is ready to book they can do so instantly.  However, if the guest decides not to book, my calendar is not blocked for those dates and there is no need to cancel anything.  The inquiry just remains an inquiry.  I hope this helps.

Hi E
If you pre approve someone for set dates, does this block those dates for anyone else to book? I've pre approved before and hadn't heard back for a few days so I removed the pre approval. I don't every pre approve now.
Miguel1347
Level 1
Lisbon, PT

This is a interesting topic because i make long therm rents in AirBnb because of work.
On the client side, unfortunately, the photos that some people put in AirBnb are very poor quality and not always show every part of the apartment. 
If its a week rent, i agree that there is no need for visit, but in a long therm rent i see it as a must because fotos normally make you believe that the apartment is bigger and some defects aren't always shown.

If you don't visit, you rent for 5 months and then you see something that the fotos didn't showed and you want to change but the cancellation don't allow you to move out immediately with full refund. So in this cases, the client is not well covered. 

Luckily, people normally have no problem showing and understand. So i just consider that if people don't allow visit, it means they have something to hide because if they placed the apartment to rent, people would visit before renting. But again, it's only acceptable for long therm rents.
I believe that AirBnb should think in a solution that would help the owner and the person o wants to rent, because unfortunately there is miss intended people on both sides.