reservations, inquiries, booking requests

Eileen60
Level 1
Miami, FL

reservations, inquiries, booking requests

Hi everyone!  I need help understanding all the terms and what are the differences.

One guest sent me an inquiry then I decided to pre-approved then noticed she idd not have verfied i.d. so I had to withdraw the pre-approval.  Can someone please explain differnece between an inquiry; an inquiry and a reservaion or booking request?  

And since I clicked "requires verification" on my account, why am I getting so many requests which I have to answer within 24 hours in  order to keep my response rate up?  Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Inquiry - A guest wants more information about your listing - you need to send a message back to the guest within 24 hours to keep your response rating.  After your exchange messages and you determine you would like to host this guest, you can click Pre-Approve and then the guest has 24 hours to actually finishing booking.  Or if you determine this guest isn't a good fit, you can click Decline and then they will be unable to finish booking.

Reservation Request - A guest is ready to book your accommodations.  They have already entered payment information into the system and are just awaiting your OK.  You need to ACCEPT or DECLINE these within 24 hours.  Just responding via message is not enough to fulful the response rate requirement.  Once you hit ACCEPT, the booking will be completed and you will have a confirmed reservation.

"Requiring verification" means the guest cannot complete their booking until they  complete the verification process.  They can still inquire with you all day long, but the system won't let them complete their booking until they are verified.

Hope this helps!

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Eileen60  There is a lot of confusion about this topic, I'm afraid. 

Airbnb requires that all initial messages, be they Inquiries or Reservation Requests, be answered within 24 hours as a matter of customer service and courtesy towards guests. 

But, in terms of a host's response rate, how you respond is important. 

For Inquiries, all you need to do is answer whatever question is being asked.  Airbnb encourages hosts to send a Pre-Approval or a Special Offer, but these are optional.  When a guest sends an Inquiry their payment method is unaffected.  Guests can send as many Inquiries to hosts as they want, then sit back and see what kind of Special Offers or Pre-Approvals they get.  Then they can choose to accept the one that appeals to them.  

Reservation Requests, on the other hand, are totally different.  Why?  Because the guest is making a committment to book and Airbnb places an authorization hold on the guest's payment method pending the host's decision to Accept or Decline.  If the host Declines, the authorization is withdrawn and in some cases it can take some dates for it to be released.  If the host Accepts, the authorization turns into a charge immediately.  Since authorization holds cannot be held indefinitely, Airbnb requires a 24 hour response from the host.   Also, the guest is essentially locked in, and cannot look elsewhere, until the host who received the Reservation Request makes a decision.  For a guest, having to wait 24 hours for an answer could seem like an eternity. 

Where some confusion arises is when a guest uses a Reservation Request to ask questions when they should have used an Inquiry for that purpose.  Sometimes host and guests are in different time zones which makes asking and answering questions to take too long.  In this case, the host should politely ask the guest to retract their request and instead use the Contact Host link to continue the discussion which can go on for as long as needed.  Or, the host can decline the reservation request with a nice note to the guest to use the Contact Host link. 

It is very incombent on hosts to know the difference between an Inquiry and a Reservation Request and to never let a Reservation Request expire with out Accepting or Declining.  When this happens, Airbnb blocks the dates requested which is not a good thing. 

If you have more questions, let me know!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Eileen60,

Lovely to meet you.

@Clare0 and @Cynthia-and-Chris1, have given you some great overviews here on the differences between these terms. Did you make things clearer for you? 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.