reviews after 14 days

Answered!
David23
Level 4
Jerusalem, Israel

reviews after 14 days

I hosted a guest who didn't get a chance to write a review within the 14 day normal period.

He enjoyed his stay very much and would like to write a review now that he has returned home. I know the general rule is 14 days, but there must be a way for a guest to leave positive feedback even after the 14 days, isn't there?

Seems quite arbitrary, so am hoping there is a solution. Positive guest reviews are key to my business and I would hate to miss out on this guest being able to post his feedback.

Thank you

David

1 Best Answer
Deyan32
Level 4
Liverpool, United Kingdom

This is quite an old thread but I will jump in. As a customer, I would like to leave a review when I can. Travelling the last few days can be chaotic and going back home to the daily routine can take your mind away from the task.

I think there can be a feature after 14 days either party can request for the review option to be reopened. As an example, I request to leave a review and the host has to accept, after that, I can go ahead and write my review and publish it. Or hosts requests for review as they didn't leave one and once I as the customer accept they can write it.

View Best Answer in original post

76 Replies 76

@Tuan6 

Yes.

Thank you.

Lemur3
Level 2
Seekonk, MA

Probably no point in adding to the request for a longer reviewing time (and my original longer response just got an error message so that seems like a sign), but please give us at least a month. We are travelling! Not really in the "write a review" headspace.

@Lemur3  One of the problems with such a long review time is that people then tend to sort of forget the experience clearly, or even get stays they've had mixed up.

It only takes  5 minutes or less to leave a review. Unless you are travelling somewhere with no cell signal or Wifi, like you're hiking the Himalayas, or camping out in the boonies, "travelling" doesn't really seem like a valid reason why a guest would need more than 14 days to find 5 minutes to leave a review. Not being in the mood to do so is neither here nor there.

Sometimes people can get busy, which can be related to travel and also other things that are happening in one's life at the same time. Maybe you personally are super organized and can always check things off your to do list in order, but for some of us we're mentally exhausted and just need to put lower priority items (like AirBnB reviews) on hold for a bit.

Deyan32
Level 4
Liverpool, United Kingdom

This is quite an old thread but I will jump in. As a customer, I would like to leave a review when I can. Travelling the last few days can be chaotic and going back home to the daily routine can take your mind away from the task.

I think there can be a feature after 14 days either party can request for the review option to be reopened. As an example, I request to leave a review and the host has to accept, after that, I can go ahead and write my review and publish it. Or hosts requests for review as they didn't leave one and once I as the customer accept they can write it.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Deyan32 This sounds like a really good idea. I'll make sure the team knows, though it'd be amazing if you could let them know as well by filling out the Feedback Form

Thanks! 😃

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Deyan32  Good idea, especially the part about mutual agreement. That would be key.

Did this idea ever get traction?  I'm in same boat trying to find any workaround to leave a great review for a deserving host. Just learned I missed deadline by half a day. 

I agree on this, I was searching  if there is an option and ended up here. i travelled 3 weeks ago and was busy returning to work and only now i thought of writing review. at least there should be an option for guests to submit it, as it wouldn't harm submitting a late review.

Andrew2833
Level 1
Hong Kong

I'm not sure whether adding my comment here will be any help, but find this 14 day limit problematic. Many people are unlikely to allocate time to writing accurate, detailed reviews while still traveling. If while still on the road the traveler is flooded with an ever-increasing number of nagging reminder messages, a common reaction will be to completely ignore them and focus on travel, planning to leave reviews upon return home. Once the person is back and has the time/attention to write reviews, they cannot because an arbitrary 14 day limit has expired. What is the logic behind bothering people to write reviews while they are busy traveling, then and preventing them from leaving reviews when they are calmly back at their desk?

The reasons Airbnb doesn't allow anything past 14 days is because it would curb all the reviews downwards. If you have a negative review, you are likely attempting to get a refund or work out some dispute, which is going to often drag out over 14 days. If you have a positive stay, typically you'd review immediately (more than not). So in effect this policy was likely enacted to keep reviews more positive for hosts. It's kind of a scam in my opinion 

@Mike2867 @Andrew2833 The review system is blind - meaning a review won’t get posted until both have left a review OR until the review period is over (14 days). Would you want to wait for months to get your review posted if you want to warn other guests in case you had a seriously bad stay? If it was just posted immediately your host could read it and would probably leave a revenge review. So it needs to be blind and there needs to be a reasonable review period so guests/hosts that leave reviews don’t have to wait for ages for their reviews to get posted. 

Hmmm, I question your reply to the 14 day rule. I don’t think it’s a scam, personally. I also don’t think Airbnb favors hosts at all. Their motto leans to the guest even though without hosts there is no Airbnb. But that’s neither here nor there.

I think the 14 day rule is perfect. Typically, when you’re happy with a stay, you want to leave your review right away which means you were also a good guest, and being an Airbnb guest myself, I want those reviews just the same.

Two weeks is a long timeframe, so plenty of time to review both ways. The app is on our phones and even while traveling, we are constantly on our phones so no excuses there.

I do appreciate that once both reviews are done, they can’t be changed.

YELP for instance allows for back and forth and then the stupid “update” after the reply to the original Yelp, which creates arguments on a very public app or forum, for all the world to see and that would cause less people hosting and then in turn leave Airbnb without hosts for guests and loss of revenue.

100% nail on the head and that's what I fell for. I waited to write a review that was going to be positive but had a flooded room that the host seemed to understand and promised a partial refund. I come back from an extended trip abroad that happened right after the stay and he conveniently "forgot" to process or offer proper refund but in that time did have the time/nerve to ask me to write a 5 star review. By the time the refund processed (that too after lots of lies from the host and arguing with him and Airbnb - his relation to facts completely changed after the booking was complete and discussion came to refund) it was past 14 days. I guess only positive is that I didn't preemptively leave a positive review given his lies that followed.

and now no one will conveniently find out about this scam artist who is a superhost with 5 star reviews and how would any guest in the future avoid this scam when guests like me probably never had a chance to review? He knows what he is doing delaying the resolution