roaches

Robin-and-Mami0
Level 5
Honolulu, HI

roaches

We've been hosting in a tropical environment where cockroaches are part of the ecosystem for 10 years ~ 500 guest stays.  Although we've worked hard to keep our unit pest free invariably this is a top nagging issue travelers report.   We think it's partly because the travelers that report them 1) don't come from tropical areas and don't have experience with them.  2) don't read-understand or agree with our house manual section on roaches.

This is how our defense has evolved.  If anyone has errors or omissions to point out I'm sure not only we will be grateful but many others that host in tropical environments would love for you to post your comment(s) here. 

House Manual - Cockroaches:

They are part of Hawaii's warm, tropical ecosystem.

If you can’t abide them, maybe vacationing in Hawaii is not for you. People that live in warm or coastal cities are most familiar with this aspect of nature (National Geographic Video  About Cockroaches) https://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/cockroach_german.

(American Housing Survey, U.S. Census Bureau, top 10 cities. Roach infestation statistics).  https://hawaiihome.cc/listings/islandcolony/2206/roach.jpg

We as hosts do our part to minimize pests in the condo by 1) seal openings through the walls such as around plumbing pipes, electric wires and doors 2) thoroughly clean before each guest check in 3) monthly treatment by licensed pest control experts.

During and after check in, cockroaches can enter the unit the following ways: 1) hitchhike on your luggage – from contaminated airplane luggage holds or vehicles 2) whenever the front door or Lanai door or Lanai windows are open 3) on back packs, purses or other carried accessories they can board while you are on outings.

What attracts cockroaches 1) warmth 2) food 3) water or moisture 3) dirty laundry. How soon will cockroaches respond to an “invitation”? – Virtually immediately.

What you can do as a guest to avoid attracting cockroaches:  1) hang towels on towel bars – don’t leave moist towels or footmat on the floor. 2) always wash and dry dishes directly after meals – don’t leave drinks or dirty dishes out. 3) Keep all food in the refrigerator – don’t leave food in cabinets - even in sealed containers 4) keep your laundry clean, dry and odor free. And, of course, don't leave food crumbs on the floor or elsewhere!

Following the steps previously mentioned, we minimize exposure to pests. As you can imagine, even Halekulani – the most expensive hotel in Hawaii will have unwelcome visitors if the pest avoidance practices shown above are not observed.

PS.  We have also tried

1) anti-cockroach electronic systems

2) putting boric acid in inconspicuous places (as recommended by local licensed pest control agents) - 2 lines of defense not currently mentioned in our house manual.

Aloha and Mahalo for your kind consideration

21 Replies 21
Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

Are you talking roaches or Palmetto bugs?  Those giant roach looking bugs even pop up in Tennessee.

The  German cockroach will nest in your house...behind the sink or in old books and you will see a lot of them.....boric acid sprinkled nightly where you see them will ultimately get rid of them.

palmetto bugs are just confused and dont live indoors.  Try spraying a barrier outside...door sills and where pipes enter the walls....I keep ants at bay that way.

Thank you.

German Cockroaches.  We aren't familiar with Palmetto bugs.  Boric acid helps.  The unit is on the 22nd floor of a condo.  The only place to put Boric acid is under kitchen & bath cabinets, in cabinet voids, under refrigerator, etc.  Typically the roaches we find are small and dead.  Guests find live roaches.  When we visit guests who complain of roaches, we always find food crumbs on the floor.  In Hawaii it seems roaches are immediately attracted to food crumbs "invitations".  

Advion Roach Gel. It is amazing. Once every three months and then you’re good for a year or so. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Robin-and-Mami0Corrugated Grocery boxes are how the 'little roaches' will travel into your place foremost btw. Here in Belize we call them 'roach motels' and don't allow them into our place.

Thanks.

We didn't specifically mention that - good point.  We will specifically disallow corrugated-cardboard boxes. 

At my place, I got rid of all cardboard boxes and have to store and organize everything in plastic totes, even though I'm not exactly a plastic kinda gal. Attracted the termites as well as the roaches. Had to throw out my wooden rolling pin because the roaches were nesting inside and came boiling out one day when I went to clean out the utensil drawer. They also love the cardboard cores of aluminum foil and saran wrap.

Sarah,

So true.  Minimize the wood and cardboard.  Excellent point to emphasize.  Our condo is pretty much made out of glass, metal, stone and corion.  We throw out all  supplies guests leave behind including cardboard containers of spices, foil and plastic wraps.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I live in tropical Mexico. @Amy38 , we have both, cockroaches and saw palmettos and I am quite sure that @Robin-and-Mami0 know what bugs are endemic to where they live.

I like your approach @Robin-and-Mami0. You have fully informed the guests of the situation and provided ways in which they can lessen the possibility. If they don't read the information, you cannot be held at fault. Unfortunately, airbnb will often refund guests in spite of full disclosure, and I hope that doesn't happen to you, as you have done all in your power to explain the reality.

Bug phobes, and those who are convinced that cockroaches are a sign that the place is dirty should never travel to the tropics.

There is a long thread on exactly this topic on this forum- put "cockroaches" in the search engine.

We are grateful for your input,

It inspires confidence.

We reviewed the roach threads in the forum.  Good info.

We recently learned that Airbnb does not hold guests to the refund policy requiring them to work with hosts through the messaging system prior to demanding a refund.  

Carol407
Level 4
St. Louis, MO

As a mainlander, and only having visited Hawaii twice, may I make this suggestion, instead of making a defense, make an affirmative statement.  Something like “We live in harmony with nature and roaches are part of our eco system.  They are as natural and charming as our geckos.  We provide a native island experience which includes roaches, geckos, bugs and all!  We welcome you to our island in it’s pure native state.  Aloha and Mahalo!”   

With that said, on my two stays, I booked 4 places, but ended up staying at a 5th, because I am not cool with roaches, only one place had them and after one night of paying for a full week booking, I moved on down the road.  So moral of the story is, if your location is tropical and roaches are part of the experience, put it out there and be proud of your unique tropical environment.

Carol,

I agree.  Our disclosure needs the air of affirmation or eloquence, as you suggested.  That should take some of the edge off the subject.  Thank you.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

I grew up having a vacation home in Jamaica, so I was pretty familiar with cockroaches, even thought they're rare in Canada. Just like when you are, they can get massive in Jamaica. 

My husband, however, was not, and he had never travelled to the tropics until after we got married: we went to Mexico on our honeymoon. One night, we were waiting for our cab outside the front entrance of the hotel. The hotel had two large illuminated pillars flanking the front door, and you could see large cockroaches running up and down them. My husband stood there watching for a while, then said, " Those are interesting beetles." 

"Uh, sweetie, they're not beetles. Those are cockroaches."

I don't think I've ever seen him move so fast before or since!

@Robin-and-Mami0I think that your instructions and warnings are really good. As you say, people who aren't used to the realities of living in the tropics just don't realize how prevalent they are, or how impossible it is to be completely bug-free. 

Alexandra,

Thank you.  We really  appreciate the Airbnb community.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Funny story- every summer when I am packing to go to Canada for a couple months to visit my family, I thoroughly clean out my suitcase, shake out each item of clothing to ensure there are no scorpions, ants, or cockroaches hiding therein, before packing it. If I get interrupted in the middle of packing, I zip up the suitcase.

Imagine my horror when unzipping my suitcase in my fastidiously clean daughter's guest room, to see a cockroach scurry out! It disappeared instantly before I could squash it and in spite of searching high and low, couldn't find it.

I never dared tell her, as I knew she wouldn't be able to sleep unless we found it or she called the fumigators. I just prayed that a Mexican cockroach wouldn't survive in Canada, knew that it wouldn't find another cockroach in the house to mate with, or find a bit of stray food to eat in my daughter's immaculate kitchen, and would eventually expire, which it must have, as she never mentioned finding any cockroaches in her house and I would have definitely been the prime suspect.