rude guest making enquiries

Carey4
Level 2
United Kingdom

rude guest making enquiries

After enjoying a really good year of hosting on AirBNB, we've sadly had some bad experiences recently.

The latest one was a potential guests who enquired in September, asking for a 2 night booking - but 12 months later - in the following year. We wrote a polite to reply to her saying that we didn't think it would be fair to accept bookings so far ahead. Gently asking if you could try again in the New Year...

We didn't hear anything again in two weeks. Then out of the blue came a rude message saying "Might I suggest you remove your listing of you are unwilling to accept bookings. It does rather waste people's time and no one likes a time waster."

The other bad experinece was differient and much worse. our question is: do you feel its unfair to say you cant take bookings 12 months in advance?

15 Replies 15
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

Since you have more than one listing it is hard to know which calendar to review. The "Large Victorian House" has open dates in August 2017. I think you need to review your calendar and block any dates that you are not yet willing to book.

It seems to me, though I haven't used this platform as a guest, they can only inquire about dates that are available on the calendar that you control.

No question that this message was rude, but if they see open dates that you don't want to book, there is some truth to their complaint.

Babs0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Carey4 and @Susan151

As a host and guest I can confirm that blocked/already booked dates of a listing won't show up if a potential guest does a search with the specific dates you are looking. But you can also search without dates, if a guest doesn't check your calaendar it can still happen. 

Just make sure you have your calendar up-to-date and according to how far in advance you are willing to have someone book your listing. A lot can come up in 6-12 months, cancelling as a host is never a good thing! 😉

Have fun hosting!

@Babs0 True, you can see the listing without dates, but, you must enter a date range in order to make an inquiry.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Carey4

There is a setting in your calender where you can put a 3 month, 6 month or 12 month window into how far in advance you can take bookings.  Perhaps make use of those settings to avoid having to decline too many inquiries.

Rachel-and-Joseph0
Level 1
Berrien Springs, MI

I'm new to hosting, and have had one awkward guest, and one great guest so far, although both were polite and kind.  However, I was just messaged yesterday and within an hour he booked somewhere else, which he messaged me about.  The app prompted me to contact him, so I answered his question.  He blew up on me and basically told me I was an idiot for contacting him, stating that if I didn't know how to use the app I shouldn't be hosting.  Is there a way to block rude people?  I am so offended right now.

@Rachel-and-Joseph0  What a jerk!  Unfortunately there is not a block feature on Airbnb.  Just be glad he didn't actually become a guest!

@Carey4@Rachel-and-Joseph0  Just be very thankful that these rude people did not book your places. They would not have been great guests.

Yes, I must be careful to maintain my diary. I have learnt that much.

It's a shame though when you get people that start off on the wrong foot, especially in the sharing community.

Is all based on trust and good will. Since then I have had eight more guests in each of them have been delightful.

I do think the AIRB&B are very relaxed with their vetting practices on peoples. Personally I think it should be much stricter with more than simply some official verification. It should be asking for independently assessed references as to people's characters.

I have been hosting for about 2 years and I have only had a couple of issues.  Yesterday a guest requested some dates and only one wasnt available ( i hadn't cleared if from the calendar).  I accidentally approved the request, but messaged her to inform her that I couldnt accomodate the request because all of the dates were not avail.  She was so rude and chastized me about keeping my calendar up to date and then said "thanks for nothing".  

I understand it can be frustrating for a guest to not immediately book a space.  But I am listing my own home, and sometimes my dates vary quite a bit.  I respond as soon as I am able and sometimes guests have flexibility in their dates and it works out.

I do think airbnb needs to screen their guests a lot more AND create a block feature or a report feature for rude and disagreeable people  This woman's response was uncalled for- I responded immeditatly so it didnt affect her travel plans at all.  THe weird thing is I  later saw that her husband had inquired about the space as well and I declined him, so he sent her to request it? Some of these guests are shady and i dont feel comfortable with them continuing to contact me.

Further there is no way to take back an approval- the rude guest hasnt confirmed payment, but i cannot cancel until she does. Hopefully she does not pay so that I dont get a penalty for cancelling. thanks for letting me vent.

Any advice on how to better prep my calendar, and how to more polietly decline reservations would be appreciated

Oh dear Viviana,

You have my sympathies. I was the OP on this thread, and although it was some time ago now I remember how unpleasant make me feel. It defeats the object of offering your space to AirBNB guests. It's meant to be the 'sharing community' and hopefully one is able to share it with like-minded souls, or at least friendly people, just to enrich your life a little bit.

But it seems these people are treating AirBNB like a harsh, commercial transaction. Why dont they just go to a hotel?

I do agree with you that AirBNB need to try to find a way screening out rude and belligerent characters, who are aiming to be guests. If they are reported they should be struck off the system immediately.

When the host is offering up their home, they're offering an awful lot more in the way of trust, faith and belief in other people: in short – the model of the "sharing community". Rude guests are not part of the "sharing committee". Instead they are part of the "where's my money?" old community.

(incidentally, you should be able to withdraw your pre-approval on your dashboard).

Best of luck – and "keep the faith". I havent had any other 'bad apples' since then, thank goodness.

Carey

Celine50
Level 2
Costa Mesa, CA

Hi Carey, 

I do not think you are out of line. We are offering our personal space and accepting booking that far in advance is not common for most of us. 

One way you can remedy future headeaches : go to your "availability settings" and pick 3 or 6 months in the future. Your calendar will be greyed out for the period over 3 or 6 months and you will not receive inquies. (I am at 3 months) 

What I love about rude guests is that they eliminate the guesswork. I just had a guest ask if my listing has bedbugs.

I am tempted to add "Yes! Of course! We love pets!' 

After 74 trips, SH all the way, and 4 planets in Virgo, hell yes! We're horrid.

The fact we go to extraordinary lengths to prevent infestation not withstanding (not to mention being an industrial cleaning house groupie) this is our kind of guy. NOT.

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

You can block people on airbnb now  

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Carey4

In addition to what Marit Anne said, you can also block all dates on your calendary by default.

Then, you can open the dates ahead as long as it is convenient for you.

https://www.airbnb.com.br/help/article/1210/how-do-i-edit-my-reservation-preferences