sales tax

Becky36
Level 1
Moab, UT

sales tax

Airbnb is over collecting sales and trasnient room taxes by over 2% on my listings. I've contacted them and they just quote all the taxes they have to collect. I've contacted the State of Utah but they said to clear it up with Airbnb.....anyone else having this problem or better yet getting a hold of anyone at Airbnb that you can actually talk to??? I find it very frustrating how impossible it is to find a phone number for help. 

3 Replies 3
Scott80
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

You're complaining about 2% taxes? Mine are about 15% and I have to pay them out of my daily rate. AirBnB does not collect them for me.

Margaret122
Level 2
Holladay, UT

Hi Becky, 

Being more than 8 months later in your experience, what specifically is being charged, for what? And is it always the same percentage?

With AirBnB does one then not have to worry about it at all, but on other sites we do?

thank you

margaret

I'm having problems with UT State Tax Commission.

I used to only have my cabin listed in VRBO.  VRBO collects the taxes but sends the reservation funds and taxes to the owner.  The owner pays the taxes independently in VRBO....unlike Airbnb.  Airbnb collects all the funds but pays the taxes DIRECTLY to UT and pays the owner the reservation fees (minut the website fee).   I had both VRBO & Airbnb bookings for a total of 2 quarters before my listing was finally done in VRBO.  Hence, i was told that i needed to do a REPORT showing my income individually from Airbnb and then also VRBO and i was only suppose to pay VRBO taxes since Airbnb pays the taxes directly as REQUIRED by UT.

However, no one at UT tax commission even knows what Airbnb or VRBO or HomeAway or any other vactation rental platform.  Hence they know nothing about Airbnb/UT tax payment requirement.  As a result i'm having problems with the Tax Commission saying I OWE for Airbnb room taxes.

Since you are also in Utah, how do you handle sales tax & transient taxes from Airbnb and do you also have VRBO bookings.  Just curious how you handle it and if you have had any problems with UT tax commission?