security deposit

Jo160
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

security deposit

Hi I have guests arriving in one week.  I need to add in a security deposit but how can I do this to an existing confirmed booking?
I have had great guests so far however I am out of pocket for excessive internet /broadband use (up to $350 one guest stay) and excess power use  ($150 additional power bill charge) for clients using heating & air con (eg they leave it on) so I need to recoup these costs or at least have a security deposit in place how can i do this for my clients coming next week so I am covered ? thansk ! Jo

4 Replies 4
Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

@Jo160,

You can't, and even if you did, the chances of you getting anything from Air BNB are slim to none.  Search the topic and you'll see what I mean.

Happy Hosting!

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Also, security deposits cover damages.

You may need to raise your prices or have your guests buy their own WiFi cards.

I don't understand how Internet works in other parts of the world.  Why does the fee go up if people use it?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jo160

Hi Jo, a security deposit will not protect you against guest excesses....you have to protect yourself. And as mentioned you cannot alter the terms of an existing reservation, you can add a security deposit to future bookings but not to existing ones

As far as your internet is concerned, are you offering a cellular service, one linked to your mobile phone? If you are, I would suggest you have a 'pre-pay' on hand with 3 Gb of data on it. It is a seperate service from your personal phone service, You can get these from any supplier for less that $20 and if the guest requires internet access give them this and when the 3Gb runs out they can recharge it but, the recharge is up to them. You are doing the right thing by the guest and you are not leaving yourself open to abuse! Contact any service provider and they will give you details!

If you you have a landline based service you should be seeking out a better provider. I pay $60au per month for unlimited high speed broadband and a free vOip home phone service. Provided it's legal they can use as much as they like, it has no effect on me. I just give them the wifi name and password, I never get hit with a bill.

As to your power, put your major draw appliances on pnuematic timers. They can be set from 5 minutes to 1 hour and after the time has elapsed they have to push the pnuematic switch to restart the appliance.

Guests can be wasteful Jo, they consider they are paying for it, they will use it. But unfortunately there is not a mechanism which will allow you to charge for these excesses through Airbnb!

Cheers.....Rob

Hi Jo,

I feel your pain with these excessive uses. I've been trawling the Community Board and have come across your post. We have just received a power bill from Meridian for our house and guests have racked up $75 worth of power in ONE day, I am totally astounded when the average is $25. I'm going through the resolution centre to request a small amount extra from the guest but I'm unsure as to whether they will accept this....

Good luck!

Cheers

Suzie