Rachael171
Level 6
Greensboro, NC

selling your Airbnb rental

@Huma0 

@Ann72 

@Fred13 

@Sammy35 

...And all my other wonderful, supportive, clever Airbnb community members: I have a new question. 

I just listed my Airbnb condo for sale and after one day on the market, I have multiple offers!! Yay!!

But I also have Airbnb bookings sporadically throughout the end of the year. I'll try to schedule my closing date so as not to inconvenience guests in the near future, but at some point I'll just have to start cancelling reservations from my side I assume.

Or is there a way to transfer these bookings to the new owner? What other advice & watch outs do you guys have? 

Hugs and love to you all. 

28 Replies 28

@Huma0 wrote:

@Rachael171 

True, dealing with CS right now can be a painfully slow process. On the other hand, I've found that I get quicker (or at least more) response to less important matters than seemingly trivial ones. Maybe because there are different teams dealing with them?

For example, in terms of COVID related cancellations (or rather the ones that were wrongly refunded outside of the EC) and missing payouts, it took roughly a month of constantly harassing CS in every case. In contrast, when I contacted them about my Superhost bonus, I got a fairly swift response and CS actually chasing me to see if it was all sorted. Not that I was happy with the outcome, but at least they got back to me (repeatedly).

So, you never know. Give it a try and let us know how it goes!

@Huma0 wrote:

@Rachael171 

True, dealing with CS right now can be a painfully slow process. On the other hand, I've found that I get quicker (or at least more) response to less important matters than seemingly trivial ones. Maybe because there are different teams dealing with them?

I AGREE 90% with the above statement.  as long as you don't have to escalate, and you can actually get through, you might get what you need.  but you are talking cancels, which is their revenue and margin and all they care about.

so i'll say this to you @Rachael171  in response to @Huma0  i totally respect Huma's (?) input and mostly align with her theory and practices.  i'm probably a bit more particular and possibly paranoid...def detailed oriented possibly to diminishing returns (ask my VPs), and def more quirky and scattered though lol

simple issue?  yes?  maybe?  DEF not always.  ABL always be leery

if you take that CS (understanding) support (positive hopeful attitude) procurement action, here's what you do:

handle it like its your entrepreneurial business.  cause it is.   ABB will want to hold you accountable and avoid losses, so handle your business with THEIR needs and business in mind

call during normal USA business hours 8-9 EDT to 56-ish EDT MAYBE 8-9ish EDT due to corp located in cali.  at least they once had a bulk rep service center working out of san fran HQ.  i'm guessing most service/call reps are now working remotely though

copious notebook notes--reserved just for this task.  maybe make a table or use a spreadsheet so you have an soft (e)-copy:
write down EVERY name with whom you spoke and recrod
name, date, time, tier 1 (that's usually a given) location (if youre savvy and sly --see below) especially if you detect an accent because offshore handlers can make thing more complicated extended than they need to be, many times if you ask for and can ACTUALLY get a manger, if its not afterhourse, they will ping back the USA), issue, dept, transfer to name, location, team and  what tier 2 or 3 if they have escalations that high etc

very casually "im sorry i didn't catch it what's your name again?" if its complicated ask them "to spell it so as to show respect by not butchering it when you address them" here do you have the pleasure of working from today?"  (no one's ever not answered me)

once you redirect offshore after USA EoB through PDT here in states, service is a total crap shoot.  you'll get lots of customer service in the form of empathy and niceties (i'd love to see that interpersonal skills training content--its part of my field) but never any straight finite definite answers--they mostly only come from  normal business hour employees and teams.  lots of redirection and lots of deflection and bounceback, it would be like trying to talk to trump and getting a straight answer, its like rubber.  they send messages off to teams you never hear back from even in message threads.

call Voice over IP from computer (so you save minutes or data), go on i'll kill myself music hold, blast your speakers, clean the house, watch tv, do yoga (the music is already there lol), pick up when someone answers in an hour or more

cancels?  they get more dicey--more factors combinations permutations to consider
if you want to talk about cancels and impact BE SURE YOU ARE ESCALATED AND TALKING TO THE PROPER TEAM (EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES TEAM--i think its doc'd both for guests and hosts, perhaps UPCOMING RESERVATIONS or RESOLUTIONS TOOL TEAM I'M GUESSING) doesn't sound like Trust and Safety team

once you have confirmed you are in the exact right place (team?  case manager?) for home sale and upcoming cancel handling deliver them a WIFFIM (what's in it for me ie them ABB) intention "i want ABB to be able to retain as much revenue as possible, guest fees, as well as me 'forfeiting, if i MUST--can we work that out if not' ie 3% host fees that you ABB get to keep minimize guest disruption, and secure with alternate accommodation options we can get guest to agree with in writing and hopefully be proactively satisfied with not complain about after"

see if you can get a dedicated assigned case manager due to complexity of situation--deliver another WIIFM

you might do some comp searches for your area, as a guest, traveler, check dates you want to cancel see what's out there, log the link somewhere

they might be more amenable if you do some homework

bullet out your issues, ABB CS at large seems to have listening or hearing and trouble processing information skills  (call takers are mostly igeners and young millennial where unfortunately listening and accurate processing and furthermore accurate retain/recall tends to be a widespread problem, research has shown, this is also part of my biz work role)

type (in the already created case submitted with the first potential cancel need) as they are talking, tell them you are documenting on your end as well to ensure accuracy, you'll usually hear and see those rotating periods which is them starting to type too

its really hard to trust ABB CS, and you kind of have to nice karen them.  lots of prodding, nudging restating, checking for understanding, escalating, confirming outcomes:  "you said XYZ would happen am i correct?", and most of all at the right place (team) with a call taker who knows (or if he doesn't access to someone senior who does--please hold while i check)

what huma describes above about meticulous and regular follow up (the girl who chased her down about the SH bonus outcome not what she wanted but at least closed a loo) is VERY VERY RARE usually one of several scenarios:
0) trust and safety team somehow got assigned and they are CYA oriented
1) someone either new or still on new hire probationary period;
i.e., standard 90 days, this works, great you're hired on as reg FT EE or
sorry its not working, we have to let you go
i'd bet my life this happened with ABB due to covid losses (the number are insane, i heard HALF their force is in limbo--not working--and they are running on skeleton staffing model) in form of money saving layoffs that sacrifice proper, professional service and namely deep knowledge.  they let go of the experts who are the seasoned EEs the people making money, (such a BAD BAD business performance act but i see it happen ALL THE TIME), lower the salary range, attract new hires willing to work, "train" aka throw them into the call center fire, or especially if remote its worse, for pennies;

2) new trainee who passed probation, that wants to make a good impression (too new to stop caring about her job, they want to excel;  

3) someone who might be on a PIP (performance improvement plan) with close team lead or supervisory monitoring, possible listening in tandem to the calls themselves, (yes ive seen that in call center biz model process and systems consulting) much more rare, but i know i have spoke with individuals terrified to give wrong answers: 

4) if you're lucky, an already seasoned start performer, which is super duper rare, especially now (i had names i kept track of before i can no longer get to those same exact people and from an HR standpoint, that i totally get, ABB will not disclose why, they are probably no longer active employees)

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sammy35 

I used to always try to call during office hours because then I would get the Irish call centre and they have always been brilliant in my experience. However, becoming a Superhost meant that I got the first available rep instead. Still, that was often in Ireland, so I stuck to that strategy.

Now though, I rarely get through to Ireland and the Superhost hostline seems to have disappeared too. I thin you are right in that a lot of people are working from home (those who still have a job there) so it's pot luck. That's not to say that reps from other countries were all useless. It has been a mixed bag, whereas the Irish team were consistently knowledgeable and understanding. You only had to explain the issue once.

Although the matter I mentioned above (missing Superhost bonuses) was a small thing, I still got passed to a different team. The first contact (via online chat) had no idea how to deal with it. Then I was passed around numerous case managers, having to explain the problem over and over. They kind of half solved the problem, but just kept ignoring the other half and eventually, I just couldn't be bothered to waste any more time on a $100 credit that I probably wouldn't be able to use anyway (no current plans to travel).

So, no it wasn't straightforward, but what I meant was that they got back to me. I did not have to chase them for a response, rather it was the other way round. I also got a lot of those "I haven't forgotten about you, but am still looking into it," kind of messages rather than the radio silence.

@Huma0 

That's true. Every couple of weeks I'll get the "rest assured we are still working on your case" and "in the meantime, don't hesitate to ask questions." Which makes me laugh, because if you type back a question, you'll just be waiting another week or two for another "rest assured we are still working on your case" message.

Hahahaha!!! Oh... my... gosh...

@Rachael171 wrote:

@Huma0 

That's true. Every couple of weeks I'll get the "rest assured we are still working on your case" and "in the meantime, don't hesitate to ask questions." Which makes me laugh, because if you type back a question, you'll just be waiting another week or two for another "rest assured we are still working on your case" message.

Hahahaha!!! Oh... my... gosh...

omg its sooo awful that's why i said i'd love to see their training and performance content

~~~~~~~

i actually agree about the irish center @Huma0  but that was the only exception
there was a girl that that was ONE it, if i thought hard, or pulled my log, her name would be in there with a star.  she was the only person that was consistent with follow up along with one girl i can't find in SF anymore.

"Now though, I rarely get through to Ireland and the Superhost hostline seems to have disappeared too."

unfortunately yes, i never made it to that because i've only ever been a casual host and turn away 80=90% of inquiries.  the business model has changed for the worse and will continue to dismember itself.

~~~~~~~

@Sammy35 

Thank you so much for the very detailed and helpful response!!! This is all great advice. Especially the parts about calling during prime U.S. hours and keeping track of all my calls and rep names on a spreadsheet.

Right now I'm hoping to execute the @Fred13 philosophy: involve Airbnb as little as possible. In other words, I'm hoping to work with the new owner and the guests to just hand all the current bookings over. Fingers crossed. 

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Rachael171 

You're right it's best to explain the situation to Airbnb and try to get penalties and fees waived.

I really don't think Airbnb have a 'listen' in them. When it comes to a host cancelling the only thing they will want is their Service Fees, their cancellation fees and to apply penalties.

If I was in your position, I would explore the 3 free cancellations for Superhosts in a year, and the Covid cancellations for a host - since there seems to be no end date to when guests can cancel using that excuse! Currently, Host Covid cancellations are running without penalty, without affecting your SuperHost achievement - but there may be a cancellation charge.

If cancelling - and this applies to anybody.. DON'T CANCEL USING A MOBILE DEVICE. Instead, cancel on a desktop as the cancellation procedures are different. The desktop currently allows 'cancellation and keeping dates available' or 'cancellation and blocking dates' options. Mobile devices incur ALL penalties, charges and blocks dates.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 

Oh, that's great advice!!! Thank you.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Rachael171   As usual you are getting great information from the hosts about your options from the host perspective, which is what you asked about.  I wonder if there is room to consider what the guest might prefer in terms of notification.  As a guest, I would prefer as much notification as possible, which is what I also prefer as a host.    It could be possible that the new owner does not want to host, right?Perhaps you could notify guests of the potential change of ownership.  You could explain that the guest could choose to cancel sooner rather than later but will lose Air BNB fees.  If you cancel, which you would do once transfer is complete, the guest will get a full refund, but a shorter notice time.

@Linda108 

Also great advice!! Thank you. I think I will hold off on notifying guests until I have an offer and a closing date. Fortunately (or unfortunately?? haha), at this point I'm not fully booked and just have sporadic bookings through the end of December. 

I've asked my realtor to reach out to the potential buyers to confirm if they plan to use the unit as an Airbnb. I'll help the new owner however I can with that. 

@Rachael171 Keep us up to date how it goes, we all at the 'Peanut Gallery' are rooting for you.

@Fred13 

Aw thank you! Hugs and kisses. 

@Rachael171  agreed 100%  i 2nd the hold off on notice to guests at the moment and wouldn't complicate anything by engaging the customer (or "customer 'service'") right now...you're running a business, that's your focus :-).

~~~~~~~

I also have listed my Airbnb and close on 10/23/30. Does anyone know if the buyers can set up an account with the same address so that ppl can cancel with me and rebook with them?