smart Door Locks 2021

Harvin0
Level 3
Thorold, Canada

smart Door Locks 2021

Hello Every one, looking for a recommendation for a smart lock that can be set up to multiple codes assigned to different guests  & expire on set date/time. I have thought of putting August with keypad but cost is high plus reviews are mixed, a lot of people complaining about battery life and lock response time. I'm currently using a wiser keypad lock that need to manually delete & add codes which is time consuming and hard in Canadian winter. Are anyone of you using August smart lock or another Lock that you can recommend.

Thank you in advance 

40 Replies 40
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Harvin0  I use the Schlage Smart system and I've been very happy with it for a number of years. 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Harvin0, I use a Schlage Encode, which is brilliant. It connects directly to your Wifi (so no need for a smart home hub) and you can schedule up to 100 codes at a time, to start/expire at set dates and times. You can set up codes, lock and unlock your front door and check the status of your front door (locked/unlocked), all remotely. The lock also has a built-in alarm that alerts you if someone has entered the wrong code three times. It's also easy to install and has a manual key override (important in my mind). It isn't exactly cheap, but in my opinion it's well worth the cost.

I'm joining this discussion late, but do I need anything other than WIFI to connect to this lock from my phone or computer?

I see mixed reviews on Amazon but interesting to see views here.  

Does it send low battery alerts and have auto lock longer than 30 seconds?

Which Schlage Encode lock are you using ?

Which Schlage encode lock are you using I  just purchased an investment home to rent out and will be new to hosting so I need all the advice you can give me.  Thank you Do you also use some thing RemoteLock ?

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Harvin0 

I also recommend the Schlage Encode. It also works flawlessly with Remote Lock key code service that integrates with ABB. 

I was using the Schlage z wave lock and Wink hub, but was outdated. There are other options for Smart Things hub that may still be working fine for other host but would recommend going with a wifi if buying new or upgrading. 

The app for the Schlage Encode is very intuitive and easy to use. If you go with Remote Lack you mange all your codes from both the desktop software and app. It does everything automatically, but your Encode app is still fully functional.

How was installation and integration with RemoteLock for you? I'm ditching August on one of my properties-- the connect bridge has been way too intermittent and the keypad batteries poops out too often-- and I've been using an older RemoteLock model on my other places. I'd like to upgrade everything with Schlage Encode + RemoteLock software in order to auto generate codes for guests. But the instructions for setup are sketchy so I'm looking for any reviews that say it's easy and automated

@Deidre1 With constant use the battery gets down to 70% in 4 months. The batteries last longer if they get a good signal from the wifi router. If you wifi isn't reliable then nothing else will be either. Installing and using the Encode app and lock is very easy. The Remotelock software is more complicated because it can be configured to a wide range of situations. It has step by step instructions to follow for set up, but definitely not easy and automated. You will likely want to change the message, lock name and location name, that are all in different places.  It can take a while for customer support to get back with you but they are good when they do. I went through so many locks, hubs, routers, modems, that I got it set up on my door first before installing on the guest door. Although the Encode app is so easy and intuitive that you could easily just use that to configure guest codes, including exact check in and out times and dates, while you sort out setting up RemoteLock. Although you said you had one so maybe already set up. After its set up its been trouble free. 

@John5097 Thanks for the info.  Do you know if we can group multiple locks and assign a single code that works on all ?  Or do we have the program each separately?  

@Dang6 

For the app for the Schlage Encode, no I don't think it has the ability to link the locks together. Two locks could be on the same app, say front door and back door, but would need to be programmed separately.  It does integrate with Amazon Alexa but I don't know if it could link the locks.

Kwiklock app allows locks to share a folder, however I don't know locks in the same folder can be linked together. 

Pretty sure the Remote Lock service by Edgestate would have that function. It allows multiple locks at one address, such as an office building with a front door code, and each code for other doors. However I think they charge per lock. 

I have used KEVO for years.  But now they’re on many advanced smart locks to use with Airbnb.  

I have researched so match and get many to many different answers.  

i valve the opinion of a Savy, advanced user.  
Appreciate  your advice 

Hi  @John5097 I have an old resort lock RL-2000 that doesnot rely on wifi. However, the codes are long - 10 digits. Guests can convert to their own 3-5 digit code once onsite. I see you use the RemoteLock software with your Schlage Encode lock. Is that due to having more than one property or does the lock require the other software?

One concern I have is that in a storm, our wifi can go down …