smart Door Locks 2021

Harvin0
Level 3
Thorold, Canada

smart Door Locks 2021

Hello Every one, looking for a recommendation for a smart lock that can be set up to multiple codes assigned to different guests  & expire on set date/time. I have thought of putting August with keypad but cost is high plus reviews are mixed, a lot of people complaining about battery life and lock response time. I'm currently using a wiser keypad lock that need to manually delete & add codes which is time consuming and hard in Canadian winter. Are anyone of you using August smart lock or another Lock that you can recommend.

Thank you in advance 

40 Replies 40

@Ann783 
Schlage Encode has its own app to program the lock. RemoteLock is integrated with Airbnb, after setting it up, so that when guest make a reservation RL automatically programs the lock for that guest, assigns them an individual code, and sends them the first message, if you choose and can personalize with check in instructions. I just use it for one listing but really like it. It has a learning curve setting it up. But you could also easily use the Encode app to manually program each guest. So far I've only had one bug with this set up, but was resolved. Also the wifi is only used to program the lock, it sends a quick message, to add a guest code or delete one. If the wifi went down the codes would still be programed on the lock, and you can see the guest and codes on both the app and RL software. For example if you added a guest code for next week with check in and check out times, down to the minute, and you lost wifi, the lock would still work for their stay as its on the lock and at their checkout the access code would expire to whatever you set access time and dates for. 🙂 

@Ann783  FYI I had to post that twice, the first time I got the red error message, and posted it down below in wrong thread, but had copied it first, as that happens a lot here. 

@John5097 Do you recommend using the Remote Lock program and how much is the fee ? Thanks

@John5097  Do you recommend using Remote Lock program and what is the fee for the access ?  Thanks

@Tami272 I love Remote Lock service. Its $6 per month for one lock. 

Only once was there a glitch that I noticed but didn't let me down. In the software where you configure settings, and can change, add codes, etc, it will have a little green check mark for each guest which means the code was programmed onto the lock. I once didn't see the green check mark and it was from a firmware update on the lock, which RL sorted out with their technittions. This would be common with any key code service but with RL I like the software and support. 

You said "If the wifi went down the codes would still be programed on the lock, and you can see the guest and codes on both the app and RL software. For example if you added a guest code for next week with check in and check out times, down to the minute, and you lost wifi, the lock would still work for their stay as its on the lock and at their checkout the access code would expire to whatever you set access time and dates for. "

How could that be? How can the details be sent to the lock if there's no wifi? Does one have to go down to the get close to the lock to download the data, like in Bluetooth-enabled gadgets?

Thanks.

Can this be set so the generated code is the last 4 digits of the guest phone number?

Schlage Encode locks with integration to RemoteLock and Airbnb and updates in Sep 2023?

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

I use the Wyze locks. Like other locks you can set multiple codes for various individuals. The codes can start and expire down to the minute, which makes this lock great for check in and check outs.  The lock will also alert you (If you choose) every time someone uses their code. Everything can be handled  remotely through the app or online. The software is very simple and user friendly.

As for battery life, I have had mine for 8 months now, and have not had to replace/charge the battery yet.

The installation is very simple. It took me less than ten minutes to install them on multiple doors. 

double post deleted 

Can you tell me what model of the wyze that you use?

According to one Yale Assure SL Deadbolt touchscreen keypad lock with August Connect user, they can also download the app (optional) and his cleaner has her own permanent code. He gets a log with a lock activity and can set up automations with HomeKit based on certain lock actions. 

Does the Wyze have these features too?

Can it also customize the messages aside from the codes that is sends to guests, like guest instructions, etc?

Thanks.

Roger278
Level 2
Fuquay Varina, NC

How does the Schlage lock stand up to guests?  I've had two of the ones from Home Depot get destroyed by guests in the last 6 mos because they didn't read directions, and tried to force it.
(Sorry.. I'm clearly annoyed)

Sami459
Level 3
Denver, CO

I have a Yale Assure SL Deadbolt touchscreen keypad lock with August Connect. I've had a few minor hiccups with the software but for the most part, it's been great. Guests get the code automatically sent to them which activates and checkin and check-out. They can also download the app (optional) and my cleaner has her own permanent code. I get a log with lock activity and can set up automations with HomeKit based on certain lock actions. This is helpful for automatically adjusting the thermostat, turning on a light, etc. based on lock rules.

If you're interested in August, my suggestion is to skip their locks and go for a lock manufactured by a company like Schlage or Yale and then use the August module.

Mark3843
Level 2
Cocoa, FL

I have the SAME question.  
following to her advise as well