smoking policy

Clive7
Level 3
Cape Town, South Africa

smoking policy

Just giving the option of smoking allowed or not allowed is not enough.

we allow smoking in outside areas but not in rooms.

Saying 'smoking allowed" deters non smoking guests who think their room will smell of smoke, saying "smoking not allowed" will deter guests who are quite happy to smoke outside, but don't realise they have this option.

Hosts should have the option to specify "smoking allowed in outside areas only" as part of their house rules.

31 Replies 31
Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Clive7 ,  We list our spaces as non smoking and explain in the rules that smoking is permitted outdoors (we have 9 acres, plenty of room to not piss anyone off).   I think I've had 2 indoor violations out of 400+ guest reservations in 4 years.  A good cleaning, airing and spray down after eliminated the odors quickly (Nobody has ever complained they smelled cigs in our spaces).

Some people are just sensitive to anything they dislike no matter what others do to try not to upset them.  Cig Smoke haters both are a breed all of their own.  My grandma (Ironically a member of the Hemlock Society) was one of those, back in the 60's when we would visit her in her Rochester apartment building, my Mom and Dad would go upstairs to my Aunt and Uncles Apartment to have a smoke, My uncle was an avid cigar/ pipe smoker and smoking back then was very normal.  Grandma Werner hated that and at one time tried to Ban my mom from smoking in the entire city of Rochester, that didnt work so well... 

I was a smoker when I entered the Army in 1980, I remember that if you didnt smoke, you didnt get a break!   So when they said "Smoke them if you got them", even the non smokers smoked something!   Im now a former smoker X 4 years (I smoked for 40), I don't hate on those that still smoke cause I know just how hard it is to quit.  

@Linda1339  Don't be to hard on   @Branka-and-Silvia0, just pointing out that environmentally speaking, second and third hand cig smoke is not the only or greatest risks to lung health now a days.  

@Caroline515, I as well, and an empty handle of Jack Daniels in the suite just makes me angry as hell followed by the urge to have a medicinal measure for myself to calm my nerves sufficiently to carry on!!

@Karl18 , It would be nice to have check boxes that expound on the term smoking (kind) and where you may or may not, that makes total sense.  

@Diane114 , I assure you, smoke cannot come into your home via an AC compressor, impossible,  it only exchanges Freon not air.  They probably smoked in your room and thats rude, it should have been reflected in their review.  

@Michael2246 , That would be an interesting experiment that could pay off very well,  Im waiting to see if Marijuana friendly listings start to pop up in New York now that it looks like we are going the other "Green"

As for @Phil82 and @Annette-And-Bob0 , you live in free countries and have the right to say who can stay in your places or who can't.  Actually, now that I think about it,  no you don't completely.  Denying a otherwise fully qualified individual from staying in your spaces because they do something that is 100% legal before they enter your property is a blatant and sadly acceptable form of discrimination.  Smokers are treated worse than Lepers and they don't wish to be judged when they follow the laws, pay their taxes and choose which nails they want to put in their coffin, who can blame them?. 

Everyone stay well! JR

I absolutely AGREE/