smoking policy

Clive7
Level 3
Cape Town, South Africa

smoking policy

Just giving the option of smoking allowed or not allowed is not enough.

we allow smoking in outside areas but not in rooms.

Saying 'smoking allowed" deters non smoking guests who think their room will smell of smoke, saying "smoking not allowed" will deter guests who are quite happy to smoke outside, but don't realise they have this option.

Hosts should have the option to specify "smoking allowed in outside areas only" as part of their house rules.

31 Replies 31
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Clive7 I have selected the No Smoking option Airbnb recently implemented. But, I do say in my House Rules that smoking is permitted outside. 

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I think most people understand nowadays that 'smoking not allowed' means indoors. You can then be more specific in your description if there are outdoor areas where smoking is allowed.

Michelle92
Level 3
Hollywood, FL

I have "no smoking" posted on my rules, as well as signs inside the house, and yet a recent renter chose to ignore this and smoked cigars throughout the house, including in the bed. Now my entire house reeks of cigar smoke. Also, I was picking up cigarette butts and plastic cigar tips throughout the yard and house.

My question is, if I say in my rules that their deposit will be forfeited if evidence of smoking is found, will AirBnb allow me to keep the deposit. I want something to prevent them from smoking if it's posted as a non smoking property....

Cathy4
Level 4
Lancaster, United Kingdom

I go a step further and ensure guests write to confirm that they are non-smokers before agreeing a booking. This I find is the only way to ensure it is kept free of stale smoke odour which inevitably comes back in with the guest who 'smokes outside' (on hair, clothes, hands etc). Anyone coming to our place is assured of a space that is smoke free 🙂 

Airbnb needs to make it clear that since "no smoking" means different things in different societies, notice must be specific and consistent. The confusion extends to "vaping".  Although many think "no smoking" means number 3, not in the building Airbnb is not providing adequate guidance, but must insist each listing be specific, such as:

1. Smokers not permitted in building.

2. Smoking not permitted on premesis.

3. Smoking outdoors only

4. Smoking outdoors but no cigars

5. Smoking indoors but no cigars

6. Smoking permitted

Thank You! 

That would be so nice! I smoke, but don't expect to be allowed to smoke inside.  I would like to know if the renter allows an area outside of their home for me to smoke.  Also..  I know people who are sensitive to even walking by a smoker and would prefer an area where smoking is not permitted on the premises. 

I wish they would notice your post!

Phil82
Level 4
Adelaide, Australia

Please support my post for adding a  check-box to guests and hosts pages re whether they smoke or not. 

Also keep sending messages to AirBnB support to request they add this feature.

They will getteh message if we keep asking for it

Never give up on this and it WILL happen

Cheers

Phil

Hi Cathy - I have recently had a bad experience with a smoking couple in our Airbnb log cabin - I have now, as you have, just made it clear that smokers are not welcome - have you found having this policy has lost you bookings ? Also have you had anyone mention you are discriminating smokers ? Kind Regards Annette & Bob - island view cabin Tenby x 

Hi Cathy - we recently had a bad experience with a heavily smoking couple in our log cabin - we have now made it clear that if the guest smokes they are not welcome - I feel concerned we may loose bookings and even may be accused of discriminating ?  We would love to hear your views many thanks Annette and Bob 

I'm fairly new to airbnb. Three - that I know of - out of 125 guests have either smoked in my private apartment or refused to use the spray I make out of witch hazel, distilled water and oil of peppermint before reentering the apartment. I have a sign posted that this is a non smoking apartment and if the guests do so it will result in the next guest smelling it and giving a bad review, cancellations and a high cost of defuming. I have also asked that they must smoke outside to use the provided the spray I've provided at the entrance of the apartment . Smokers evidently refuse to follow my directions. 

The sign has produced three good results. Guests smelling smoke have told me and understood that I'm doing everything i can about the situation and have still given me good reviews. 

Oddly enough, they usually sense the aroma in the bedding. I'm sensing the tenant(s) didn't use the spray and went to bed after massive smoking with out showering. Yes, I wash the linens with detergent, vinegar and baking soda between every guest's arrival,

I have invested in multiple air purifiers and an ozone generating device. None seem to be working. At this point, I've lost more than $500 being an airbnb host. Although I'm mostly worried about bad reviews at the moment, I'm now also bothered by liability for lung disease claimed by guests. Any suggestions about smoking deteration, smell removal or liability insurance will certainly be welcome.

@Annie0

hahaha please...  :))))) be real... nobody will catch lung disease after spending few days in a room where someone have been smoking xx days ago...  I am a heavy smoker for 40 years and I am still alive 🙂 And grew up in a house with 2 smokers. And live in a country where smoking is permitted in all bars, cafes, clubs...

You don't have to be a smoker to get a lung desease nowadays. (hint: exhaust gases from vehicles, factories, city smog, air freshners, VOC from your new furniture... )

To remove smoke smell just open all the windows and vent the place .

he spoken like a true smoker who cannot smell squat due to the damage to airways. 

Linda1339
Level 2
Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago

Well that is disrespectful. I am a smoker and actually am very sensitive to smells of old smoke in a room where the smoker is no longer present. I have also worked in sick buildings where non- smokers got spots on their lungs so the fear mongering that just getting a wiff of smoke compared to the city smog, unclean air conditioning ducting in buildings and so much more that can give people cancer and which non-smokers breathe in dialy is simply disingenous. 

She does have to do more than just open the windows and vent the room. The room should be cleaned from top to bottom and I also damp-wipe the furnishings and treat with wood treatment or similar. Even the scent of the wood treatment might be as dangerous to anyone as getting a whiff from long dead smoke or from a real live smoker you're passing on the pavement.

Anyway, it's everyone choice to believe the hype.

I am sorry to alert you, since as a heavy smoker you may not have an accurate idea regarding the sensitivities of people who do not smoke- yet, "just opening all the windows and venting the place out" does NOT remove smoke smell from your home. Thanks! 🙂