so a guest shows up with a 'service animal', what are AirBnB's policies on that?

Conrad1
Level 2
St Augustine, FL

so a guest shows up with a 'service animal', what are AirBnB's policies on that?

48 Replies 48

@Brussela0  If a guest claims their dog is a service dog, but obviously isn't, (service dogs are highly trained, never left alone, are housebroken, do not bark uncontrollable, are not aggressive with people or other animals) then there is nothing whatsoever discriminatory about saying in the review that they misrepresented their pet as a service animal.

Of course if it is a true service dog, then you can't say they violated a no pets rule, because a service animal isn't a pet.

I dont know what the Mexico laws are - but in the US, you're not qualified to determine if the animal is a service animal or not.  You can say whatever you want in a review, but you can also be sued for discrimination.  You're un-necessarily opening yourself up for a lawsuit is all I am saying.

My current renter, did not even mention that she had a service animal until I noticed her bringing the dog down the stairs to go outside. Which was the 2nd day of a 10-day stay. She disregarded my listing, and when I confronted her, she stated this is a not a pet, its a service animal. What really ticks me off, is she isn't even the person that made the reservation. How is that possible? I have been on the phone with four AirBNB personnel within 10 hours with no updates or response. However, when you call them they have all been apologetic and sorry for what you are experiencing but that's it.

They legally do not have to tell you.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Melissa2218,

You're correct, guests in the US and other countries that have laws pertaining to service animals are not legally required to disclose that they are bringing a service animal (limited to dogs and small horses per Airbnb's policy), but there are a lot of countries that don't have these types of laws.  It would be erroroneous for a guest to assume that their local service animals rights apply everywhere. 

In St.Lucia, all dogs maintained by a human are considered pets, and there are no laws or exceptions that allow the animal to go into business establishments or government buildings/locations.  A traveler would be permitted to bring their service animal to the island as long as they had all of the required vaccinations, tests and health certificates, but a host would not be legally required to accept the guest's service animal. 

Actually they don’t have to disclose they have a service animal at all

Yes they are AFTER they book, but not BEFORE booking.

Hi @Karen3929 

I don't believe they are required to disclose a service animal at any time (before booking or after)? Most legit owners with certified service animals do let Hosts know they are bringing a service animal.

The Airbnb Community Guidelines for Service Animals do state:

• What we allow:

"Guests are allowed to be accompanied by service animals during a stay or Experience and are not required to disclose the presence of a service animal before booking."

There is nothing further that I have found that states specifically they must  disclose a service animal after  booking in Airbnb policies (but I could have missed it). 

Service Animal Policy

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1869

If you have found a reference in Airbnb policies that states a Service Animal must be disclosed after  booking, please let us know and provide the link to the policy, as it could help other Hosts. In any case, I would be very cautious any time you are dealing with a guest with a service animal as to what you say verbally or in a message to a guest. 

(This applies to U.S. Listings)

Wrong! 

airbnb says in their guidelines that you are not required to disclose that you have a service animal with you.  If you do and they refuse, you are being discriminated against.  Any business can have their own policy on it, but federl law (ADA) supersedes all state laws concerning service animals. 

Several things you have said are wrong. I have a service animal and know the law inside and out. 

Not accommodating is not an option.

No guest of Airbnb is required to disclose that they are bringing a service animal. 

Personally I wouldn't care what ABB policies are, if someone turns up with an assistance or support animal we'll accommodate the person and the animal, probably a dog.

Unless it's a rabbit, or anything small and furry, which could get very complicated as we have three greyhounds.... it could result in paperwork 😕

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

It is my understanding that along with the two questions mentioned above:

For service animals, you should know you are only allowed to ask 2 questions to service animal owners:

1) is this animal YOUR service animal and

2) what service does your animal provide.

a trained service animal will not struggle on leash, is never left alone (i.e. in the room while the owner goes out), and is basically so well trained you would not know it is there. 

You will know if a dog is not a true service dog. If it is misbehaving, pulling on leash, baring, peeing in the house, etc. I believe you can ask the guest to leave due to misrepresenting the animal as a service animal. 

I have a guest coming Sunday who said she has a small service dog. I don't usually accept animals, due to my own, but we'll see on this one.

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

Here is a quick list from the US ada.gov page on service animals.

Service animals are:

• Dogs

• Any breed and any size of dog

• Trained to perform a task directly related to a person’s disability

Service animals are not:

• Required to be certified or go through a professional training program

• Required to wear a vest or other ID that indicates they’re a service dog

• Emotional support or comfort dogs, because providing emotional support or comfort is not a task related to a person’s disability

-- also --

Asking Someone to Remove Their Service Animal

A business or state/local government can ask someone to remove their service animal if:

• The dog is not housebroken.
    • The dog is out of control, and the person cannot get the dog under control.

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

The thing that everybody’s missing is what if the owner of the property has put no pets because they are asthmatic and highly allergic what about them? What happens when the owner wants to stay there, or any other guest that needs a pet free environment? there are plenty of Airbnb homes to rent that are pet friendly!  I don’t understand why anyone would want to disregard or disrespect somebody’s property.