stained pillowcases

Sarah-and-Alex0
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

stained pillowcases

Hi, a question for hosts - we have a set of high end Ralph Lauren sheets, and our guests who departed today left everything in great shape, except there's a stain on one of the pillow cases that looks like bright pink makeup.  The sheets are a pattern that we'll never find a replacement pillowcase for, but they could work with another solid color.  I can't imagine charging the security deposit for the whole set, but Ralph Lauren pillowcases are pretty expensive by themselves - should I just leave it and use other pillowcases, or is it worth charging?  Thanks!

8 Replies 8
Melanie58
Level 10
Boise, ID

I guess my tendency would be to think of it as more of an accident and let if fly, especially since everything else is in great condition/they probably weren't being intentionally reckless.  I understand the bummer of the pillowcase being part of a set that is hard to replace, but on the other hand it looks like you have had a lot of really positive guest experiences.  

I base my assessment on related experience where I would put out my best towels/washcloths when my mother-in-law visited, and she would use the washcloths to remove a lot of makeup ruining the washcloths every time she visited because I couldn't get the makeup out.  I felt like I bought new towels every time she visited because I wanted to provide her a nice matching set, so I was resentful that she showed so little appreciation.  It used to hurt my feelings, but she is a really delightful person and I don't think she was trying to be hurtful.  Later, I noticed at her house she has a large collection of cheap white washcloths and bleaches them so the makeup comes out.  I purchased a really cheap set of about 12 white washcloths for use when she visits.  Now the problem is solved and we are both happy.  Maybe in the long run more standard, solid sheets would help you avoid this disappointment again, not that it is at all your fault, but just in the interest of decreasing the possibility of future disappointments as failing to remove makeup after a late night or something might be somewhat common.     

Thanks so much for such a thoughtful reply - I feel like it's easy to miss how simple things are often just accidents, not actual problems, with great, simple solutions like the one you mentioned with the washcloths - so yeah, thanks!  🙂  

Roger17
Level 10
Thomaston, GA

Hi Kate & Alex - I provide nice white sheets and towels as well.  I have a guest who stays with us very often and she always removes her makeup with my hand towels and I have to use some type of stain remover and really work to get the stains out.  So far I've been successful.  A few weeks back I added a pack of makeup remover  visible in her bathroom but thus far she still uses my hand towel.  I know it's silly on my part not to mention it and this week I intend to.  With your pillowcase, you might try soaking it in baking soda or maybe borax, then use a little stain remover and hopefully it will come out.  I would not charge the guest.  Best regards, Roger

Michelle13
Level 8
New York, NY

I would just chalk it up to being a host and not charge the guests. It could seem petty since everything else was positive. This happened to me a few times with one guest clearly just using a towel directly on her fully made-up face. I make it a point now during the house tour to mention "here are some bathroom items for you to use. Makeup remover, shampoo, etc." especially if the guest show up with lots of makeup. I also switched to rich, dark color or very vibrant sheets and towels. Think hotel collection grey or ocean cooler blue. Stains blend pretty well with both.

Linda165
Level 1
Sunnyvale, CA

I had a person leave bright blue-purple spots on a new comforter. I thought it was ink, but was able to wash it out with Zout + oxyclean ... If it's make-up, maybe it will come out. BTW, Shout does not work as well.

Good luck!

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

I have had those pink makeup stains on my pillowcases and even the top of the flat sheets. I soak them in borax with baking soda added and then wash in dish soap. Occassionally I have to resort to using Iron Out....which works but not on colored sheets because it totally changes the color. My sheets are all high quality 100% cotton and are white. My towels are all different colors because my listing accommodates up to 10 people and it is easier for them to figure out whose towel is whose...etc. So for the towels I get the cheapest colored ones that I can find and replace them when they get stained.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I have all white pillow cases, most of them are AUD 30 each so I don't like makeup stains either! I find that white is the easiest colour to wash and soak, as nappy type washes will remove colour in patterned ones, plus it looks so clean and fresh with white.

Think of chef's uniforms, they manage to wash them with all the grime! Sometimes it will take more than a long soak, but I rarely have to discard any. And they are not matching either, as long as they are white I don't mind what they are as they all fit with each other. This way I am breaking sets all the time.

I am a new host and just experienced the full face of make up on my lovely white pillow cases. The guest were lovely and shopped in my store downstairs and spent a good amount. I didn’t say anything on their review or charge for it , but did run to my other property that has 70$ pillow cases and change them out for cheaper ( but still all cotton) pillow cases.  I also provide face cleaning bath cloths clearly labeled as such in addition to bath cloths for the body. I provide make up wipes but I guess some people don’t clean their face before bed . I feel I learned a lesson . I still would never charge the guest in that case no matter how much I would want to. The majority of people I have found are very respectful.