star ratings not clear or culturally consistent

Prue0
Level 6
Bristol, United Kingdom

star ratings not clear or culturally consistent

Air bnb star ratings are not clear to guests or hosts and people will interpret them differently in different cultures.

In the UK 5* in accommodation means the very very best hotels top marks are hard to get in school.

In other countries there will be marginal differences which could really affect host's ratings.

Make it clear to all of us.

5* excellent exceeded expectations

4* good met expectations (and that is OK- everyone is happy- 4 is GOOD)

3* not good : did not meet expectations in a few ways

2* poor: failed in many ways

1* very poor: deserves a refund!

In the event that a guest leaves a review that is 3* or below on any count they will be asked to explain what was wrong

Location should be dropped- as has been stated we cannot move house

It can be covered under accuracy: was the location of the listing described accurately?

Overall experience should be consistent: I will miss out on superhost thanks to a guest who gave 5* for everything except overall experience- wtf?

A clear explanation means that we all know what is going on..... guests hosts and all over the world. 

Superhosts are hosts whose average is over 4.5.... that means that they consistently meet or exceed. 

Hosts getting 1 2 or 3 would be asked for explanation and listened to. I am sure there are some pretty difficuly hosts but there are quite a few very odd and inconsistent guests.

There should be hosts on a panel that can be used to arbitrate disputes. Most hosts are guests too. At least one host on the panel should be country specific to clarify the situation where there are cultural issues.

1 Reply 1
Kiri1
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

I agree. That last point is what really irks me as well. 5 starts for everything and then overall is 4 or 3???!!!

Also being given poor feedback for things that are clearly explained in the listing. e.g. Parking is listed as Free street parking is in the amenities, then someone is taken aback parking is on the street. Do I have to explain all amenities again in the description! Your failure to read the full listing shouldn't be my problem!