How should I approach towel theft?

How should I approach towel theft?

Hello,

I am about 4 months into hosting and on two occasions have had guests steal bath towels. Neither of them mentioned it and I feel a little awkward about how to proceed. I assume that they might have just taken them if they had ruined them or something, but it seems in poor taste to not mention it and offer a reimbursement.

My husband thinks I should put a little card in the bathroom that says something about-if we find missing towels we will add the replacement cost to their bill- but that doesn't seem very welcoming/trusting for the majority of guests who would never think to do that.

One other thought we had was to set out a discreet bathroom 'housekeeping inventory' with the number of towels and the date and a note at the end saying that if you would like to take any towels with you, we would be happy to add them to your room stay. Somehow, that sounds a little more positive. 

If we were to do that, I'm not sure how we would execute that additional transaction through airbnb. I assume that the guest would have to agree to the extra charges in the resolution center, which might be unlikely. 

Maybe I'll add something in the 'house rules' about all inventory must be accounted for or additional charges will apply to your stay?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Leslie

41 Replies 41
JD5
Level 2
Klamath Falls, OR

We've been renting for 5 years and have had thefts that include towels (both beach and bath), several books, large 36 oz. soap containers, a large decorative pillow (how'd they get that in their suitcase?), guest hangers and a small breakfast basket. Some times I get really angry, but am reminded that people are thieves by nature and that I shouldn't put anything in the guest suite that I treasure. It's the sad truth. We've toyed with the idea of signs, but it just cheapens the experience. Learn to write it off and don't put anything in the guest accomodstion that you will truly miss. If the item is worth a lot of money or is beyond a minor theft, then it should be reported and deducted from the guest's deposit.

P.S. I think it also helps if you are present when they check  out. They might not be so apt to tote along an extra bag of your stuff if you are watching.

@JD5  People are thieves by nature? Not in my world.

You can count yourself lucky if you have never had a theft. Wow!

Wish I could say the same!

@JD5   No, none of my guests have ever stolen anything.  I'm 68 and no one has ever stolen anything from me, other than a woman around here who everyone knows steals plants and took a plant off my front porch. I don't see people as thieves by nature. Some people steal. But in my experience, most don't. I think most people try to be good. Maybe it's different in Southern California.

Most of the guests who have stolen from me are not from California. I don't care to elaborate, but I could.

And, yes, most folks try to to be honest, I agree.

On a positive note, I have even had one young couple come back from the beach to return beach towels as they were leaving town on their last day after they had checked out!

I wouldn't still be in business if I thought it wasn't worth my effort. It is! The good still outweighs the opposite!

Andreas-and-Anna0
Level 10
West Vancouver, Canada

I don’t leave towels out ... I give two towels and a face cloth  per person which will be replaced after 4 days... I take  dirty ones to wash.

One hand towel to dry hands in bathroom

Kelly144
Level 4
Hobart, Australia

I've never had any towels stolen. I rent them from a linen service, so they're not fancy, just plain white, the same as hotels. Less appealing to theives I suppose. They're about a dollar each to hire, and if they get stolen or ruined, the linen hire company wears that cost, not me. So whether you hire them or replace them on a regular basis the cost is probably similar, but somehow, phychologically, it matters less, and therefore I don't get upset with the guests so much. If I see a towel covered with makeup - I just shrug. They have ways of getting stains out that I couldn't dream of. I'm lucky, my real job (outside of renting a tiny studio on airbnb) is running a hotel, so I have access to hired linen. But linen companies are definitely aware of the airbnb market - if you join forces with some other hosts in your area to make the minimum orders - it could be well worth the labour saving of washing and pressing linen and towels.

Caroline890
Level 2
Scalby, United Kingdom

I have just lost my second towel in two months. I have high end coloured towels and this leaves me with a bath towel and no matching hand towel, I can’t replace that colour either. 

This is petty theft, I will mention it in my private feedback to the guests. 

Charging outside of Airbnb is against the rules so i will be asking them about compensation.

very annoyed 

If they steal something I think if you tell Airbnb they will not let this person rent again.  I rented an apartment in Dominican Republic under my name for my husband and his golfing buddy.  After two weeks I tried renting with Airbnb a home and they told me I couldn't.  I asked why and they said they would notify me by email.  They send me an email stating that I was not allowed to rent again with them, and that they could not tell me why.  After asking my husband what had happened at DR, he said nothing had happened.  They never told me but I think it was bc his buddy smokes cigars and after a couple of drinks he must of smoked inside his room and the smell must have been horrible.  The host must have notified Airbnb and they did not want to tell me, since I already knew the host by email and phone.  Just guessing thats what happened.

Annette130
Level 2
Brisbane City, Australia

So sad that people do this. I had a Lady take 2 towels when I sent her a message saying not saying you did steal my towels but they are missing. If you wish to return them please post to PO if you did Air Bnb will charge you $50 each times 2 $100 Surprise they arrived in the mail.

Pauline531
Level 1
Akranes, Iceland

I just had guests take 2 bath towels and 2 hand towels. They did not use 3 of the towels I left for them on their beds but used one of them and then 2  towels (meant for other rooms) they took from the shelf in the hallway outside the bathroom, at least they did not steal the wet ones they had used. My rooms are all colour co-ordinated and I know the amounts I had of each coloured towel. They were in the Orange room but obviously they preferred the Turquoise towels and I'm sure they will think of Iceland every time they use them in the future. (I'm trying to be positive here 🙂 but I'm still seething. It is small thing compared to the worlds problems but it feels like a personal violation)

They went into other rooms and must have been testing out if the beds in these rooms were more to their liking. You could see that the bed spreads were all ruffled up where they had been sitting.  They also left the kitchen in a mess. 

This is my 3rd year operating and the first time I will have to write a negative review.

Stores always price things higher due to theft. 

I do too.

Why don't you?

This is the way it always work - good people ending up paying for scum